East Baton Rouge Parish School System

2.4

East Baton Rouge Parish School System Superintendent Dr. Bernard Taylor, Jr
Dr. Bernard Taylor, Jr

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

great if you need money kids are horrible

Former Employee - Substitute  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Substitute in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at East Baton Rouge Parish School System as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

easy work if you like kids this is nothing but good fun if you don't this is not for you run. Work days are short no one is all over you your your own boss.

Cons

little direction from teachers you fill in for kids don't listen they often try to get over on you. Classes can be very horrible depending on how the teacher manages her class.

The School System is rotten rotten rotten...

Current Employee - Instructional Specialist  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Instructional Specialist in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at East Baton Rouge Parish School System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great teachers, but 65% of them are leaving - and the Superintendent is not bothered according to his live interview on TV.

Cons

School board and district leaders could not hold the parents and students accountable.

Stop blaming teachers. Start helping teachers in class because the real problem is students' discipline and lack of parental involvement

Competency is over-ruled by favoritism.

Former Employee - Classroom Teacher/Remedial ELA  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Classroom Teacher/Remedial ELA in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at East Baton Rouge Parish School System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salaries are some of the best in the state. Creativity is encouraged. Most administers are trying their best against insurmountable odds.

Cons

Students are out of control. Administers are more worried about school's report grade so students are not properly reprimanded b/c they don't want the paperwork sent.to the central office. Instructional specialists are observing twenty plus years teachers....decidi.g their fates...when they themselves have little time in the classroom. Corporate execs walking around with clipboards....really!?

Stop all the favoritism and nepotism. Give teachers the credit....not the principals...good ones make all the difference...but, they are not the ones in the classroom. If you want stellar results...offer stellar professional development at the district's expense. Principals shouldn't have to deny PD b/c they don't have the money in tbe school budget. Major corporations have Co.picnics, gatherings to show appreciation. EBR has done nothing for all employees since I started teaching with the district in 2003.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

All depends on the school

Current Employee - Instructional Specialist  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Instructional Specialist in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

Many opportunities to move up

Cons

Many incompetent higher-ups; Lots of politics

Fire or demote your incompetent people

East Baton Rouge Parish School System

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at East Baton Rouge Parish School System full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is one of the higher of surrounding parishes

Cons

Very challenging. Many behavior problems that were over the top. I have never ever experienced anything like this before.

Be consistent with your support and provide more of it.

Ok place to work if you can stay motivated

Current Employee - Teacher in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

Many teachers are there for the children and everyday they find creative ways to reach these students. Although many students are inner city and at the poverty level, they are intelligent and eager to learn. They need a strong teacher who is willing to show them tough love and celebrate their success. Best part of this company is the teachers who work extremely hard and the students.

Cons

Poor leadership in many of the schools (even the high performing schools) which brings down teacher morale. Administration receives credit when school performance scores increase instead of the teachers who have worked hard all year long to ensure student success. Administrators do not listen to the teachers and often belittle them. Salary and raise freezes have sent many teachers to look for alternative employment. Some school have lost several teachers since the beginning of the school yet no one from the central office has investigated why so many teachers are leaving (they say it is due to ineffective teachers leaving due to the new evaluation system which is untrue). The teachers are leaving because administrators are abusing the evaluation system by giving their "favorites" Highly Effective ratings although it contradicts their classroom performance and student achievement. Also administrators are allowing some teachers to evaluate others and then turn around and evaluate each other. Teachers who have come in later in the school year are being awarded Teacher of the Year because they have mastered the "dog and pony show", while hardworking long term teachers are overlooked. I think that schools with high performance should have their principals sent to low performing schools to see if they are truly the reason behind student success.

Listen to your teachers and staff. If you ask them questions, don't turn around and tell them that what they are saying is true. If asked, "What makes you successful?" Let the teacher answer, don't tell them that they are successful because of some tip you gave them or the new curriculum. Look at their success from prior years. Allow time for new strategies to take root instead of trying something new every time another principal says it worked for them AND stop wasting our time with professional developments that are not interesting or relevant to student achievement. Weekly meetings should be informative and student centered. We as teachers hardly ever get to run our own planning hour, it's always read this, discuss this, or a bashing session. We get more ground covered when our administrator is absent...which is quite often, but no one will know that although the school is minutes from central office near a prominent and elegant part of town.

Great pay while attending school!!

Former Employee - Bus Driver  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Bus Driver in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at East Baton Rouge Parish School System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours. Able to go to school in between bus routes,. Off on major holidays and off during the summer!!

Cons

Not guaranteed to get a route close to home because routes are picked by seniority. Also depending on your supervisor, you will be treated with respect or disrespected.

Have options for drivers that have to drive almost an hour to get to their first stop( because of the few routes that were left). Its not fair for some drivers to do 4 hours a day and some have to drive 10 hours a day but we all get paid 8 hours for the day.

My experience at EBRPSS was both enlightening and disheartening.

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at East Baton Rouge Parish School System

Pros

The best reason to work at EBRPSS was the opportunity to work with the genuinely kind-hearted, compassionate, caring teachers, staff, and campus administrators who have committed themselves to the betterment of the students in our community.

Cons

Some of the downsides to working at EBRPSS were the lack of autonomy that teachers have with senior administration, the ineffective instructional demands being forced onto teachers by a disconnected senior administration, and the blame being placed on teachers for the shortcomings of increasingly apathetic, over-tested students, and the removal of disciplinary action that can be taken to remove disruptive students.

My advice to the leadership of EBRPSS would be to listen to your hard-working, dedicated classroom teachers, stop increasing the amount of administrative paperwork you are demanding of teachers (it does not improve student interest, learning, or performance), demand that parents and students are more accountable for student discipline, behavior, learning and performance.

East Baton Rouge Schools are more concerned with publicity and money than educating our students.

I have been working at East Baton Rouge Parish School System

Pros

Professional Development is offered very frequently.

Cons

No support from administration depending on the school.

Choose principals carefully and not by politics. That is not in the best interest for our students.

Soldier in the War...Just a Casualty!!

I have been working at East Baton Rouge Parish School System

Pros

The love of teaching is why anyone is in the profession. Not for fame or fortune. Seeing the "light go off" is the joy and reward of the investment made. Knowing that you have made a difference in a child's life is why we get up and go to work everyday! Hoping we can save our society's future by saving as many as we can.

Cons

Teachers are no longer respected as we once were. We now have to document everything we do for fear of parental reprecussions. I have known teachers to join unions simply to have malpractice insurance. A teacher was sued and lost their case because a student did not pass a standardized test! Ludicrous! Ask McDonald's Corporation....they know all TOO well about frivilous lawsuits!! Shame on our judicial system!

School districts need to put accountability back on the student and parents where it belongs. Our parents never blamed a teacher because we failed a test! All this malarky about it taking a "village to raise a child" enables parents to shirk their responsibilities of raising their kids and place it on the backs of school boards, who then make decisions that have nothing to to do with the true implentatioin of education.

Worked for East Baton Rouge Parish School System? Contribute to the Community!