East London NHS

Updated January 2, 2015
Updated January 2, 2015
4.2

CEO

I could not have been more fortunate to work for the NHS in London

Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist Practitioner in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist Practitioner in London, England (UK)

I worked at East London NHS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The NHS flexibility, professionalism, training, salary and the clinical level of expertise and delivery of services makes it one of the most reputable health services in the world. Constant change provides an incredible range of professional, clinical skills.

Cons

Some services for the NHS, in particular community ones, are sometimes funded, structured and re-structured by local as well as national government which demands high levels of comfort with constant change regarding services delivery.

Management has an incredible difficult job trying to serve the public while balancing local and national political services funding while following health recommendations and assessing service user's needs. I worked for the Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) team which, in my opinion, used an outstanding managerial model of support, encouragement and professionalism that I could not offer advice other than to continue to do what they do so brilliantly.

Good trust marred by some backward thinking managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at East London NHS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Generally the company culture is good - people are friendly, keen to get on etc. Like any NHS Trust, it has its challenges but it generally seems to face up to those challenges with a positive attitude

Cons

Mainly, I rarely felt listened to. The Trust had its set ways of doing things when I arrived and weren't likely to change. To make any change whatsoever, you had to bang your head against a brick wall in the hope that it changed before you got tired.

Listen more to your staff - you do a staff satisfaction survey but I'm fairly sure it nothing is really actioned from it.