East Tennessee State

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
3.7

Brian Noland

I loved it, but that's probably largely due to the fact that they were paying for my education.

Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk  in  Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at East Tennessee State full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was great because they paid for some of my education, and I got to help people. I learned so much about the underinsured / underpriviledged community how our healthcare system need an extreme overhaul. I learned so much about a different culture, and it didn't take long before I fell in love with the culture.

Cons

There was always gossip and someone trying to underhandedly get someone fired because they don't see eye to eye on things. You better not mess around and joke with the wrong person who just might be having a bad day.

HAVE A MANUAL FOR GODS SAKE ON WHAT TO DO UP AT THE FRONT DESK BECAUSE THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO TIME FOR TRAINING. REQUIRE EVERY POLICY, EVERY REQUEST TO BE SENT BY EMAIL SO THERE IS NO MISTAKE IF IT WAS ACTUALLY DISCUSSED. I DON'T MEAN TO YELL, BUT IT'S SO OBVIOUS AFTER THEIR TURNOVER RATE.

Good work for a student

Current Employee - Student Worker
    Current Employee - Student Worker

I have been working at East Tennessee State part-time for more than a year

Pros

Works well with your class schedule.

Cons

Very limited hours for student workers

Enjoyed the laid back atmosphere with the students.

Former Employee - Coordinator  in  Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Johnson City, TN

I worked at East Tennessee State full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Laid back atomosphere, great benefits at the time.

Cons

Pay is way off. Managers in positions because of their education not knowledge or experience and this hurts the employees. HR needs to change policies so the university doesn't loose good people because of imbecile higher ups on power trips.

Too much control over employees. Depending on the department, managers may be wonderful clinicans but horrible administrators. Employees suffer for higher ups attitudes and if someone has it out for you, don't try and advance yourself in that department or you will be a target for sure! HR allows good people to be done this way, need to change the policy!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A decent employer to work for while you learn whether you want to work in academia or not

Former Employee - Administrative  in  Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Administrative in Johnson City, TN

I worked at East Tennessee State full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very enriching atmosphere to work in with highly educated people

Cons

Too many personal politics interfering with how a person is able to work and foster a positive attitude while doing what they were hired to do

Professional atmosphere, pay raises few...

I worked at East Tennessee State

Pros

Professional, lots of training opportunities, great people to work with. Good benefits!

Cons

State job=no raises, parking was an issue but that is fixed now.

Sinking ship

I worked at East Tennessee State

Pros

* Great benefits
    * The University tries to cultivate a strong community feeling
    * Great interaction with the surrounding Tri-Cities community
    * Pay is not bad (but also not great) considering the cost of living in the area

Cons

* Consistently ignored projections about declining student population (which is a trend across the country) with the decline in Baby-Boomers' children, causing the organization to take on highly unsustainable goals (especially bringing back the football team)...
    * ...And to recoup their losses, the University accepts a number of students who have no business being in college (Note: Most students are college material, but the number of students who aren't make up a significant minority)
    * Money has been grossly mismanaged, and I have no confidence that this University is going to last more than a decade or two
    * Established employees perpetuate a "culture of mediocrity" by forcing out anyone who has the audacity to try to excel
    * The University doesn't do enough to help students who aren't looking to stay in the Tri-Cities after graduation

* Don't ignore data projections in pursuit of keeping up with the "institutional arms race" that appears to be occurring in higher education
    * The University is hemorrhaging money trying to bring back the football team. Even if the University wishes to upgrade the Athletics Department, perhaps a smarter plan would be to start with upgrading the facilities (especially the Mini-Dome).
    * Not every person is meant to go to college! The learning assistance programs for people with sub-high school reading levels hurts everyone else by putting a cap on how much they can learn in a class

Ok in the short term, but a definite career killer in the long run.

I have been working at East Tennessee State

Pros

Nice mountainous local environment, good for outdoor activities and families.
    Some professors are very collaborative, enthusiastic, and great teachers.

Cons

Lots of elderly professors (70-80) who are out of touch with modern culture & education methods. Chairmen show no interest in mentoring or developing staff & faculty. Excessive and obvious gender bias & disparity in salaries. Financial Aid Dept is a disaster. Admin hires too many adjuncts at low pay who don't care about teaching well. Not enough faculty to cover courses.

Stop using research institute criteria for hiring and promotion; this school will never draw enough funding to justify such unreasonable expectations. Instead, play to the strengths of the rural setting and hire some people who can TEACH!

it was a great place to work.

Former Employee - Maintenance  in  Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Johnson City, TN

I worked at East Tennessee State full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

people work in a team effert. the benefits.

Cons

it did not pay enough.

Working at ETSU has been rewarding.

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at East Tennessee State part-time for less than a year

Pros

The supervisors are willing to work with you.
    You get to set you own hours.
    The office setting is quiet and people leave you alone so you can actually get stuff done.

Cons

They don't install the latest software on the computers.
    The office is not open on the weekends.
    All you get is a cubical not an entire office.

Great place to work. Loved my time there. Had many friends that I will maintain.

I worked at East Tennessee State

Pros

Nice people. Beautiful environment. Friendly and inexpensive part of the country. I will always remember my time there fondly.

Cons

State funding environment is not good. Budget battles will continue as state funding decreases every year.

Worked for East Tennessee State? Contribute to the Community!