East Tennessee State

Updated October 2, 2014
Updated October 2, 2014
3.7

Brian Noland

Working in one of America's most beautiful regions!

I have been working at East Tennessee State full-time

Pros

Excellent location, quality of life and place to raise a family. Diverse academic offering and flagship public health sciences institution. Good access to other major cities and recreation in all seasons. Strong work ethic among population. Lots of first generation students.

Cons

Undervalued by region. State funding declines.

Invest in the great story and work.

Worried about the future direction of the university

Current Employee - Administrator in Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Administrator in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at East Tennessee State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Located in a beautiful part of the country. The campus is prettier than many campuses. The easy-going culture lifestyle of the area makes life less stressful.

Cons

Low pay compared to the same position at other universities. Very little chance for a raise. Lots of changes within the university provide a bleak atmosphere that is felt around the campus. Shrinking budgets in each department.

Little bucs

Current Employee - Student Worker in Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at East Tennessee State part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's wonderful and it counts as scholarship money. It's a better alternative as a student then working fast food.

Cons

I don't get to work enough and I don't make enough.

I loved it, but that's probably largely due to the fact that they were paying for my education.

Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at East Tennessee State full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was great because they paid for some of my education, and I got to help people. I learned so much about the underinsured / underpriviledged community how our healthcare system need an extreme overhaul. I learned so much about a different culture, and it didn't take long before I fell in love with the culture.

Cons

There was always gossip and someone trying to underhandedly get someone fired because they don't see eye to eye on things. You better not mess around and joke with the wrong person who just might be having a bad day.

HAVE A MANUAL FOR GODS SAKE ON WHAT TO DO UP AT THE FRONT DESK BECAUSE THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO TIME FOR TRAINING. REQUIRE EVERY POLICY, EVERY REQUEST TO BE SENT BY EMAIL SO THERE IS NO MISTAKE IF IT WAS ACTUALLY DISCUSSED. I DON'T MEAN TO YELL, BUT IT'S SO OBVIOUS AFTER THEIR TURNOVER RATE.

Good work for a student

Current Employee - Student Worker
    Current Employee - Student Worker

I have been working at East Tennessee State part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Works well with your class schedule.

Cons

Very limited hours for student workers

Enjoyed the laid back atmosphere with the students.

Former Employee - Coordinator in Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Johnson City, TN

I worked at East Tennessee State full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back atomosphere, great benefits at the time.

Cons

Pay is way off. Managers in positions because of their education not knowledge or experience and this hurts the employees. HR needs to change policies so the university doesn't loose good people because of imbecile higher ups on power trips.

Too much control over employees. Depending on the department, managers may be wonderful clinicans but horrible administrators. Employees suffer for higher ups attitudes and if someone has it out for you, don't try and advance yourself in that department or you will be a target for sure! HR allows good people to be done this way, need to change the policy!

A decent employer to work for while you learn whether you want to work in academia or not

Former Employee - Administrative in Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Administrative in Johnson City, TN

I worked at East Tennessee State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very enriching atmosphere to work in with highly educated people

Cons

Too many personal politics interfering with how a person is able to work and foster a positive attitude while doing what they were hired to do

Professional atmosphere, pay raises few...

I worked at East Tennessee State

Pros

Professional, lots of training opportunities, great people to work with. Good benefits!

Cons

State job=no raises, parking was an issue but that is fixed now.

Sinking ship

I worked at East Tennessee State

Pros

* Great benefits
    * The University tries to cultivate a strong community feeling
    * Great interaction with the surrounding Tri-Cities community
    * Pay is not bad (but also not great) considering the cost of living in the area

Cons

* Consistently ignored projections about declining student population (which is a trend across the country) with the decline in Baby-Boomers' children, causing the organization to take on highly unsustainable goals (especially bringing back the football team)...
    * ...And to recoup their losses, the University accepts a number of students who have no business being in college (Note: Most students are college material, but the number of students who aren't make up a significant minority)
    * Money has been grossly mismanaged, and I have no confidence that this University is going to last more than a decade or two
    * Established employees perpetuate a "culture of mediocrity" by forcing out anyone who has the audacity to try to excel
    * The University doesn't do enough to help students who aren't looking to stay in the Tri-Cities after graduation

* Don't ignore data projections in pursuit of keeping up with the "institutional arms race" that appears to be occurring in higher education
    * The University is hemorrhaging money trying to bring back the football team. Even if the University wishes to upgrade the Athletics Department, perhaps a smarter plan would be to start with upgrading the facilities (especially the Mini-Dome).
    * Not every person is meant to go to college! The learning assistance programs for people with sub-high school reading levels hurts everyone else by putting a cap on how much they can learn in a class

Ok in the short term, but a definite career killer in the long run.

I have been working at East Tennessee State

Pros

Nice mountainous local environment, good for outdoor activities and families.
    Some professors are very collaborative, enthusiastic, and great teachers.

Cons

Lots of elderly professors (70-80) who are out of touch with modern culture & education methods. Chairmen show no interest in mentoring or developing staff & faculty. Excessive and obvious gender bias & disparity in salaries. Financial Aid Dept is a disaster. Admin hires too many adjuncts at low pay who don't care about teaching well. Not enough faculty to cover courses.

Stop using research institute criteria for hiring and promotion; this school will never draw enough funding to justify such unreasonable expectations. Instead, play to the strengths of the rural setting and hire some people who can TEACH!