East West Bancorp

East West Bancorp Reviews

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
2.0

East West Bancorp Chairman and CEO, East West Bancorp and East West Bank Dominic Ng
Dominic Ng

Pros
  • You can learn a lot and be taken care of IF you are under the right boss (in 3 reviews)

• Since the company merged with another major Chinese bank, it expanded its market share overnight (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Understaffed at 2 employees and few assistants to sort rampant office politics (in 6 reviews)

• Terrible English communication even at upper management level (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't work here

Current Employee - Commercial Banking Officer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Commercial Banking Officer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at East West Bancorp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing I can think of.

Cons

I will start by saying that I have work for many different banks and hands down it doesn't matter if you work on the retail side or if you work on the commercial side it is terrible here.

First off the pay sucks. Unless you're in upper management right next to Dominic, your pay is going to be terrible.
    The culture here is bad, way too many chinese people here and they all have very traditional chinese views on work, inter personal interactions and just about everything else you can think of.
    The HR department here in Nor Cal is a complete joke because it consist of only 1 person. Yep, 1 person for their whole HR team. And you think she doesn't play favorites you are wrong.
    Also, the management here is really bad, they always micro manage and never tell you the truth. Fear and deceit is all that you get.

So you wonder why people work here? They hire very easily, if you use EWB as your stepping stone then that's fine but stay here too long you might develop a tumor of some sort.

Work on your HR dept.there is all kinds of harassment happening within this company and no one cares. People are being treated badly and under paid.

I took a substantial pay cut just so I didn't have to work here anymore.

Former Employee - Commercial Banking Officer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Commercial Banking Officer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at East West Bancorp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My previous company (United Commercial Bank) was acquire by East West, which had been our largest competitor. In retrospect, I may not have been the most cooperative holdover, and they were at least patient enough to let me carry on while my work performance suffered. I genuinely enjoyed the work that I did and I don't think the employees were terrible people. The HQ is in Pasadena, which is a nice area.

Cons

It's been quite a few years and I still feel a strong dislike for this company. I feel that the culture is a bit negative, and from my perspective, there was a bit of mistrust. It may have been situational, since we were acquired, but I know it wasn't just me. Many of the ex-UCB employees left when they could. Some of the EWB employees that I befriended were unhappy also. I never felt welcomed as an employee, the department didn't welcome us, people didn't go out of their ways to introduce themselves. It took a lot of effort, we had two different bosses/department heads that were jostling for positioning, and I felt like the red headed step child until the day I left.

Pay is pretty low, the company is a bit petty, and while they do offer work sponsorship, I felt that it was a bit exploitative. It's practically indentured service from the loan assistants that I had talked to.

The middle managers/team leaders were not that smart, competent, or adept as leaders. I will concede that this may be true of this banking niche in general, at least from my outlook (I was pretty young/immature back then) Those with ambitions should not stay as the opportunities are not merit based, but rather relationship oriented. Exit opportunities are not great; I had a difficult time breaking into mainstream banks since no one outside of the Chinese-American banking circle knows about EWB, despite it's size and "prestige."

Good friendly staff

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Floater in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Floater in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at East West Bancorp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good friendly staff, utilize chinese speaking skills, not much stress

Cons

very little opportunities to move up, tedious and repetitive work

praise employees

Careful which superior you trust

Former Employee - Loan Monitoring Administrator in El Monte, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Monitoring Administrator in El Monte, CA

I worked at East West Bancorp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Big on promoting within, company tries to foster a sense of working towards providing good customer service to fellow bank employees and external customers.

Cons

Subpar benefits, office politics can lead to terminations, some will trust employees while others micromanage, you definitely need to watch your back,

Don't allow rogue Payroll Supervisors to run the show, give your employees the light of day as well

Complete disfunctional Management in Atlanta

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at East West Bancorp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Potential of the market to suceed

Cons

Politics and manipulative employees that need to mind their own business

You need to address certain employees in Atlanta who are manipulative , lazy, and undermining the company. These employees do not work in the branch however find it their place to insert themselves and their opinions when theynshould be training. They had their chance to make a difference but failed and now should just go train

Good place to work if all you care about is work visa sponsorship

Former Employee - Vice President in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Pasadena, CA

I worked at East West Bancorp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Medical benefit is okay
    - Company is expanding

Cons

- Pay is lower than industry average. Bonus is a joke.
    - Vacation time is worse than industry average
    - HR and Managers lied about prospect of salary adjustment to get you sign the contract. Lack of professional integrity.
    - Most employees speak terrible English. Feels like you work in rural China. Terrible English communication even at upper management level.
    - Silos across different divisions.

Company management change

I worked at East West Bancorp

Pros

Positions open up for movement

Cons

Stresses on sales and salary spread is wide

Old culture and cronisym

I worked at East West Bancorp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A few really good people... Learned a lot about "banking" world...

Cons

A lot of politics and favoritism...still in the old days with technology...

In over their head!!

I worked at East West Bancorp

Pros

This is a good place for a person who does well in a chaotic place. There are no rules other than for real estate loans.

Cons

Insecure management up and down except few good people. Passive back stabbers everywhere. My guess is that is what the executive management wants since they allow it.

Take some leadership management classes. Your bank rating on this site should tell you something.

Assistant Branch Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager

I have been working at East West Bancorp full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Clear Communication. Clear goal setting.

Cons

Not many career opportunities for promotions.

Appraisal and bonus system is always a surprise to staff. Should clear disclose to staff in the beginning of the year. Company earned lots of profit. However, did not share same ratio profit to employee.