East West Consulting K.K.

www.ewc.co.jp

2.9

CEO

Probably the Only Honest Review Here

I have been working at East West Consulting K.K. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It seems degrading this company has become a cult following, and its ridiculous. I will be completely honest here, and this is meant for all people who are considering East West and who are actually smart, hard working and positive people:

First, It is certainly very hard when you first start out - having to constantly call all day and collect names, then try and meet so many people. However, it is not as if we are in the army getting shot at, and its not as if getting rejected on the phone is a personal diss. Move on.

Once you start meeting people, then you can be absolutely professional, discuss real companies and real positions and truly start making a difference by getting people good jobs and getting yourself a ton of cash. If you start off working harder than everyone else and don't start complaining about every single little thing, you can be very successful - I certainly was because I had a good attidude.

Regarding management - East West is the only company that hires people with no experience in this industry, so of course they are going to be stricter, they can't just keep paying some dude who clearly isn't cut out for the job. There is nothing immoral about that either. But this is an absolute fact - if you work hard and are successful here, management will give you excellent commission, great freedom of work schedule, and you will have the ability to work whatever clients you wish, as long as you can develop the relationship.

And yes, there absolutely is training and while some of it may be old school, the fact is that if you simply listen and copy what the successful people are doing, and actually work very hard, its great and no other company would be able to offer you so much commission so quickly.

So, the pro of East West is if you work very hard at the beginning, you can make a lot of money and feel good about what you do. I have done nothing unethical or degrading or anything, now I simply get people good jobs at my clients and I get a big commission for doing it.

Cons

You HAVE to work extremely hard at the start. You HAVE to make so many phone calls and meet so many people. But what most people don't seem to get is that this is high pressure sales. And no matter what you think you were told by management, it is quite obvious when you are joining. If you did not do your research about high pressure sales jobs before, that is on you.

Management will not micro-manage. Personally I see this as a plus but I see how some would see as a con. But the truth is, for certainly the first 6 months to a year, you really are going to learn the job by trying and failing and doing things yourself. Of course you can be told how to close a deal, get a client, etc (and you ARE told this), of course you have to experience things firsthand.

Its too much freedom. I do think there is almost too much freedom for consultants to do what they want, but again this is benefitial as well. If a newer consultant gets a good client, he or she can go ahead and start working it, even though they may not be so experienced yet.

updating company website would be a wise move.
    being more supportive and understanding of online services for recruiting, its simply a fact and tool of this day and age. But the old school method DOES work, I made a lot of placements using it so keep on keeping on the phone.

ADVICE TO NEW GUYS:

dont listen to the negative reviews, just ask yourself if you the type of person who can stay positive and work super hard. If you can, East West is a great company to try out.

Not a good place if you have a soul

Former Employee - Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at East West Consulting K.K. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good for people who want to start a new career with zero experience and knowledge in this industry. The president leverages that in order to exploit the new employees. Good proprietary database with lots of information

Cons

Terrible management because so old fashioned and greedy. They don't specifically break the law regarding compensation package, but they get real creative when they deduct all the employee's cost from the bonuses(if you make any) including 100% of social insurance and taxes. The management hasn't changed with the times and they just churn and burn through employees. Extremely high turnover. They hire English teachers with no experience in the industry and this can contribute to problems with how candidates and clients are handled. Minimal training. They want people to lie on the phone to collect names but will deny this to the public. Money/revenue is the only thing that matters in this company and their system is designed for the owners to make the bulk of it while they don't do any of the real work.

Retire or treat your employees like they're human beings and not pieces of meat.

I wish I hadn't joined

I have been working at East West Consulting K.K. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- The database search functions are very detailed, allowing us to do pin point candidate searches.

Cons

- Management has been trying to raise the company's Glassdoor rating by creating false 4 & 5 star reviews. Trust me, read the reviews with low ratings, they are the real reviews.
    - A lot of the best companies hate East West Consulting, which makes it hard to get new clients.
    - Aggressive work environment, no real team work, and people like stabbing others in the back.
    - Low base salary.
    - You pay for your own salary and any work related expenses, including phone calls to candidates and clients overseas.
    - No overtime pay, but you get harassed for going home 'early' despite having completed your contractual working hours.
    - Time consuming ineffectual KPI.
    - Management are obsessively paranoid and don't trust their own staff. CCTV cameras IN the office, tracking time away from desk, tracking who you look up on the database, monitoring your e-mails and current computer usage.
    - No real meaning to getting promoted. Only three ranks and only perk is a better sales commission.
    - If you become friends with your colleague or team leader and they leave the company, then management will unnecessarily harass you and watch your movements, which more often than not leads to good consultants leaving the company.
    - Terrible company marketing (See the website)
    - Some senior consultants disrespect the owners in private.
    - Some of the top billers disobey the rules and don't get punished because they make the owners money, whereas a more junior consultant will be punished without hesitation.
    - Small market share of the recruitment industry.
    - Dirty elevators, bathrooms and lobbies which make a bad impression on the candidates.
    - No genuine thought-out training methods or programmes.
    - Small database compared to other companies.
    - If you are not male and Caucasian or Japanese, then you're not likely to get a job here.
    - Turnover is high. The company has been losing lots of genuinely good recruiters over the last few years, and is suffering from a bad balance of the amount of talented experienced recruiters to inexperienced recruiters.
    - Only a few of the talented high billing recruiters are nice people who you can look up to. Most middle managers who have been given team leader roles are not ready for it and are only there because the talented team leaders were poached to better companies. Also, there are far too many inexperienced consultants who through no fault of their own have not been trained and have not been given a good company and work environment to start their consulting career.

- Instead of wasting time creating false Glassdoor reviews, listen to what people are complaining about and suggesting, then actually start getting things changed for the better.
    - Join the 21st century or sell EWC to someone who actually cares for the industry and recruitment practices.

Headhunting Bootcamp

I have been working at East West Consulting K.K. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Start a career in Executive Search, learn valuable skills, good database

Cons

Too many to list, not a place to stay long-term for most people.

give your employees the tools that other firms do.

Hard, yet rewarding.

I have been working at East West Consulting K.K. full-time

Pros

I went from knowing nothing about business in Japan (or in the world), to being able to talk about things I had never heard of before joining the company. You really learn a lot and learn quickly - or you fail and leave the company.
    You can make a lot of money.
    You get a lot of freedom as long as you are producing results.

Cons

You have to work at least two years (unless you're very lucky) until you start to see a bonus.
    Some weird, socially awkward people sometimes get hired. The guy before put it best when he said it's a lot of English teachers who don't know what they've gotten themselves into.

A NEW, MODERN WEBSITE!
    More competitive hiring policies that help make the new hires aware of how difficult the job is.
    More resources to get new clients/positions.

Excellent chance to have a real career in Japan and set yourself apart while making money

Former Employee - You Know Who I Am in Ise (Japan)
    Former Employee - You Know Who I Am in Ise (Japan)

I worked at East West Consulting K.K. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learn sales techniques, deal with top tier companies directly, meet incredibly high level and talented candidates, set your own schedule and make your own consulting network/business.
    Get trained from the basics, A~Z within 6 months and learn about various companies, industries and positions.
    No limit to bonuses and percentage of money you keep vs. money earned is best in the industry.
    Given lots of freedom to do as you wish when you wish, as long as you are making money

Cons

lots of guys coming in and leaving quickly because they got in way over their head. This is not teaching English. It is a sales job. As with any sales job, it sucks a lot until you build your network and get your momentum going. If you are willing to put in the effort and energy the first year or two with little reward, by your second or third year you will be sitting pretty and there is no better or easier job on the planet where you can make this kind of money.

Good experience, met good people and EWC set me up for my next job

Former Employee - Associate Consultant
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant

I worked at East West Consulting K.K. full-time

Pros

I met some really good people in my time at EWC. They gave me good advice and I learnt the ropes in a very competitive environment. Lots of freedom to work with the companies and industry that you choose. The type of company where you really can take control of your destiny, and you will either sink or swim.

Cons

Cutthroat environment. I met some great people who I will remain friends with, but I also met some other people that I would not like to see again, (to put it mildly). Training could be better and you are always under pressure. Although you do have a lot of freedom in some ways, in other ways you are very micro managed. The number of phone calls, e mail, meetings, basically everything you do is counted. Also you are not trusted. You cannot access anything from outside of the office, emails etc, unless you have special permission to do so.

Show more trust in your employees. Make your hiring process more stringent. I think one of the reasons that you have such an incredibly high turnover is because you pretty much take anyone who interviews. But you are doing many good things, and overall I did enjoy my time at EWC.

One of the best companies to work in Tokyo for recruiting

Current Employee - Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at East West Consulting K.K. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can speak both English and Japanese to a native level, and I can utlize my language skills fully.
    Work in any industry you like and can become an expert in your field
    Can earn as much as money as you like, depending on how smart you are

Cons

Cannot think of any really

Keep up the good work!

Best job I ever had

I have been working at East West Consulting K.K. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are nice and they have a very good international working environment. You can choose which clients you work and can learn about any industry in which you are interested. There is a lot of freedom in the job. The commission system is clear and transparent. If you work hard you will be compensated well and can make a lot of money in a short time.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover because the job is stressful. But like any job those who can do it, do it and those who can't complain about it.

Good basic job training but maybe a little more training would be good.

Worst recruitment firm in Tokyo with the worst reputation

I have been working at East West Consulting K.K. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get your own computer after generating a set amount of leads. Best place for people with no experience and are tired of their English teaching job.

Cons

Lets put it this way, first day employees are known to say they are going to "lunch" and never come back

Stop monitoring all email and phone conversations and being so paranoid that your consultants will speak to other normal firms and realize how bad your firm is