www.eastbay.com

Updated January 26, 2015

Dowe Tillema

Sales Invoicing Specialist Intern

I worked at Eastbay

Pros

The working environment was very nice and so were the people that I worked with. Everyone is extremely helpful.

Cons

Sometimes there wasn't enough work to do because the position was new.

Great Flexibilty

Former Employee - Customer Service in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Eastbay part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work schedule is really friendly. When u initially get hired, they allow u to basically make your own schedule and when u need to change your schedule (which u can do every 3 months or so), u can do that as well. The supervisors are really friendly and are always there for u when you need help. They have holiday incentives for being an employee such as gift card giveaways and food during breaks.

Cons

You have to often take blame for a lot of things and especially during the holidays, it gets really annoying because people are crabby around Christmas time because a lot of their orders are either wrong or they order the wrong size or color. The pay could be higher as well

I think that people that have been working for the company for a longer period of time should be paid higher. I left the company for a summer, came back and was making the same as a new employee. Previously I had worked there for 4 years prior. Little promotion but other departments may have openings

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Eastbay part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, paid training, no standing

Cons

Low pay, multiple supervisors, strict breaks

Meh...it's ok if you desperately need a job, but way too much favoritism going on.

Former Employee - Customization in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Customization in Wausau, WI

I worked at Eastbay full-time (more than a year)

Pros

fulltime work, nice co-workers, good vacation and PTO if you last long enough to get it

Cons

Zero flexibility, ridiculous attendance policy (you're not allowed to have any kind of problem come up within the first 3 months or you'll get written up), flagrant favoritism by management shown all the time.

Work on your communication; we cannot read your minds. Pay people a living wage if you want them to be happy to come to work, and work hard.

Don't waste your time

Current Employee - Pit Operator in Wausau, WI
    Current Employee - Pit Operator in Wausau, WI

I have been working at Eastbay part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nothing. Worst place ever to work

Cons

Poor management. There are zero equal rights on third shift

Fire all management on 3rd shift

Flexible Job. Good Environment

Former Employee - Customer Service in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Eastbay full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a college student, they work around your schedule. Coworkers are nice. The pay has increased as of late. Most of the supervisors are nice and have good attitudes when you need them.

Cons

Limited Promotions within. Though they take good care of their employees, I feel like there could be more discount events for call center employees. I also worked within the company for 5 years and have seen minimal pay increases.

Decent and stable company that needs to invest more in its skilled employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wausau, WI

I worked at Eastbay full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working in development I felt like management was bright, aware and engaged.

There were always interesting development projects - the work was never boring.

I liked a lot of the people I worked with and was able to work with a variety of people from various departments.

I was given the freedom to do my work in the way I found most efficient and useful. I didn't feel constrained by direct management to do things 'the way we've always done them.'

I felt like my recommendations for process improvements were taken seriously and were pushed to the extent that they could be.

I learned a good deal and was encouraged to expand my skillset.

The ongoing corporate training that is offered allows you to get a break from daily tasks and meet people from other departments. This training wasn't on hard skills but generally seemed to focus on social understanding and new approaches to workplace relationships and tasks.

Cons

Direct management is constrained by New York and unable to make the changes they want and they know their employees want. Being owned by Footlocker there is a lot of bureaucratic nonsense that prevents things in Wausau from being improved. Certain processes are dictated by people from offices in Pennsylvania or New York that never have to use those processes and aren't aware of how cumbersome and pointless they are.

The pay is below average which combines with the generally undesirable location to make it hard to attract and retain talent. Raises are terrible and the review process is unnecessarily tedious and obtuse allowing for upper management in New York to dictate awful raises to employees in Wausau. This is frustrating for the management in Wausau who genuinely want to reward their best employees but are hamstrung by New York.

The office environment is abysmal. There is no room for the current employees and the company continues to grow. The office is based out of a converted department store and strip mall and it is just dumpy in general. Upper management refuses to address the issue and continues to jam more people into the same space resulting in your development team being crammed into tiny 3 foot 'cubicles' in a converted mail room. Do you think this is a good way to retain people with one of the most in demand skills?

Project managers bonuses are based solely on their projects. In theory this makes sense but in practice it leads to conflict between the PMs and contradictory work assignments to some employees. This system is broken. The PMs are always focused on their specific projects and have no incentive to care about the overall department goals. The PMO needs to be completely reworked so the PMs are on the same page and have incentive to support the department's goals, not just their own.

Too. Many. Meetings. This varied by PM but could be very very frustrating for the development team trying to get stuff done.

Management sometimes a bit too hands off in dealing with problems. This is probably an issue of managers who do not want to confront issues or problem employees and hope that things will work themselves out.

It's hard to get excited every time there's a quarterly meeting showing significant growth in revenue and profits when the employees don't see any of that profit being invested into them.

Invest some of your profits into a brand new campus and offer better perks to your skilled employees. Land in central WI is cheap. You need an on premises gym. You need more comfortable work space. Even if pay lags behind the national average due to the low cost of living in the area that excuse doesn't work at all for the work environment which is way way way behind the standard for an IT shop. The least you could do is lease some new office space (which is also cheap in the area). Remove the customer service department from the corporate headquarters. Relieve some of the overcrowding and let people know what your long term strategy is.

Simplify the review process and give more power in compensation decisions to the management that works directly with the employees. They know who is worth it and who needs to be retained. 3% raises for your best employees dictated from high up the chain will frustrate your employees.

All that said... this isn't a horrible place to start a career and is a solid place if you're stuck in the Wausau area. The flaws become more apparent and frustrating over time. Those that aren't tied to the area are not going to stick around for what you currently offer.

Merchandise Service Center Associate

Current Employee - Merchandise Service Center Associate in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Merchandise Service Center Associate in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Eastbay part-time (more than a year)

Pros

30% discount on pretty much all item, really flexible, you make your own schedule, can talk to people on your down time

Cons

training is very boring (but its paid), a lot of the customers are very rude and disrespectful so its tough to handle sometimes, also super visors/team leads that are supposed to help you w/ calls aren't very helpful or even wont take calls when customers request to speak to somebody higher up, I also don't like how sometimes the "higher ups" don't always back up the agent also. Programs that they use are very old and can sometimes be inefficient

Make training more realistic so that when the agent gets on the floor and starts taking calls they feel more prepared. Also update the system and use a better system that will make things easier to limit calls and customer dissatisfaction.

Great experience.

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Wausau, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Wausau, WI

I have been working at Eastbay full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress with a laid back atmosphere. Great discount on product. By boss does not hover over me.

Cons

Average starting pay. Thought the pay should be higher for the job I am performing.

Pay for what the job actually is.

Lots of opportunities in a growing company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wausau, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wausau, WI

I have been working at Eastbay full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Casual culture (very casual dress code). Many employees are into sports and/or fitness which can inspire you to work out especially with new clothes/shoes purchased with the Employee discount. It helps that Wausau is located near Rib Mountain and Dells of the Eau Claire River, a really pretty natural area with waterfalls. Also, if you prefer to live a vegetarian lifestyle, there is a natural grocery store that has great vegetarian/vegan lunches but overall it's expensive to eat vegetarian and/or organic here but the low rent compared to most other cities of this size probably offsets that.

Cons

There are not many events or things to do. Pay is definitely below the national average. Would like options for flexible work hours. The company seems mostly focused on profits and does not focus much (if at all) on social/environmental sustainability.