Easter Seals

Working with Easter Seals of NYC

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at Easter Seals

Pros

Professional environment, excellent over 50 workers training program.

Cons

Conversations among co-workers discouraged during working hours.

Learn to smile more.

It would be a great place to work and learn if it weren't so driven by financials.

I worked at Easter Seals

Pros

Most of the staff is good, devoted and friendly. The kids and their families are usually very nice as well.

Cons

Upper management is so concerned with billing and numbers that it alienates staff. This makes somewhat of an unpleasant environment.

"Strong clinical employee sorely disappointed"

Former Employee - Behavioral Interventionist in Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - Behavioral Interventionist in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at Easter Seals full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay and hours
    iPad & work phone provided
    Excellent training
    Other BIs helpful and encouraging

Cons

-PMs show lack of follow up with parents & lack of follow up for severe behavior
    -Lack of program implementation updates by PMs
    -Demeaning and unprofessional supervison in front of new employees and parents
    -Dishonest schedulers telling parents that I did not have availability when I did.
    -Falsely written up for professional competencies not being up to par due to supervisors dishonest judgement. Because all of my clinical competencies were 100%. If a supervisor feels threatened by your strong work ethic and clinical experience, they will try to tear you down
    -Last minute schedule changes (30-60min window sometimes) and expectancy of employee to be available. If you're not available, it will count against you in a monthly competency check
    -Strong turn over rate with the company
    -Some children regressed due to the lack of strong leadership and supervision skills
    -Culture/climate of the company seems to be the same across the board in this area, I wonder if the CEO knows that there are PMs they may not be providing a good representation of the company ???

Start appreciating the strong employees that you have (Behavioral Interventionists), acknowledging and giving opportunity to them before you lose your opportunity to be a great company. Work on your communication, honesty & do your job instead of placing all the blame on the poor BIs & then maybe the employee turnover rate wouldn't be so high! Also, keep in mind that if you are fulfilling all of your supervision hours, it's probably a good idea to make sure that you include the proper program implementation, follow up and weekly check ups on behavior for the kiddos. Because you would say that you spent so much time on a certain kiddo, but then you failed in many areas that were crucial to the Childs growth & development.

direct support associate for Easter Seals of New Hampshire

Former Employee - Direct Support Associate in Stratham, NH
    Former Employee - Direct Support Associate in Stratham, NH

I worked at Easter Seals full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get the freedom to go out and have fun and educational within the bounds of yours and your client's interests. You are not in an office but rather out in the community and you see your co-workers only rarely.

Cons

Being out of the office everyday means you sometimes feels like there is no support or collegiality. Depending on the level of functionality of the client, your days can be exceptionally boring. Plus the pay is pretty low.

Loosen up - the headquarters staff seem ultra-conservative. Also, find ways for DSAs to connect with each other to share experience, tips, etc.

Poor communication and contradictions

Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Easter Seals part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Training team was patient and helpful.

Cons

During the interview, I was told the core hours were from 1p-7p and that I must be available to work a minimum of 10 hours per week. On the last day of the two week training, I received an email from HR stating that my available hours (which were over 25 per week) were not going to work with scheduling. The HR rep mentioned a totally different time frame that I needed to be available to work.

Better communication skills.

Stressful but good experience e

I have been working at Easter Seals

Pros

Training is provided by the company, which can or can't be useful, great experience if you want to work with children with autism, provide educational assistant which is very helpful.

Cons

Working with the clients is very stressful, not enought hours, a lot of driving, unpredictable hours. 1-3 hours gap between sessions.

Mission based programs

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Easter Seals

Pros

Good mission based programs for affiliate staff.

Cons

Not many mission based programs for in office staff.

A great organization to work for

I worked at Easter Seals

Pros

Despite this organizations larger size, each program is small, giving the atmosphere a close-knit feeling. There is a sincere concern for consumers and most employees are dedicated and professional. Management is mostly fair and supportive.

Cons

They're not too many opportunities for advancement because each program and small.

Try to identify ways to expand some of the social services programs like foster care.

good company, needed more organization

Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in San Jose, CA

I worked at Easter Seals part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Loved this company and everything it stands for. Decent benefits and pay. The employees here are all wonderful people who are passionate about the job

Cons

The company was undergoing a ton of changes as far as policies and procedures of services. It seemed like a start-up company which was odd for one that has been around for so long. Job also required a lot of driving, not the best place for someone looking for a job that's steady with lots of engagement with colleagues

initial training is great, however it doesn't prepare you for the reality of the job

rating of company

I have been working at Easter Seals

Pros

It's an okay company starting out

Cons

Not enough work hours provided