Easter Seals

Updated October 30, 2014
2.8

Easter Seals CEO Jim Williams
Jim Williams

Pros
  • You're in the community and helping people with disabilities learn life skills (in 5 reviews)

• Work life balance dose not get any better (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The organization has expanded to quickly and upper management has grown too large (in 11 reviews)

• Lot's of paperwork, long hours, low pay, and tends to be very political (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Pretty Okay

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Sorrento, FL
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Sorrento, FL

I worked at Easter Seals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pros: learning patience; meeting new people; experiencing working with the disabled; helping others

Cons

Cons: the food; the messes; the physical labor; campers will challenge you mentally and physically.

More training

Paraprofessional

Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Leland, NC
    Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Leland, NC

I worked at Easter Seals part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of flexibility in the work schedule, I was attending school at the time so this was extremely helpful for me. I enjoyed the staff and everyone was friendly and helpful.

Cons

I was not reimbursed for gas milage and had to drive long distances for some of the children I worked with.

Very enjoyable place of employment to work

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Easter Seals part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

To help the clients get back their quality of life.

Cons

Being able to keep up with all your daily responsibility

Amazing

Current Employee - EIS in McAllen, TX
    Current Employee - EIS in McAllen, TX

I have been working at Easter Seals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, great co workers, approachable management

Cons

lots of daily travel, lots of paperwork

good open door policy

It's okay, but it has serious management issues

Current Employee - Employment Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Employment Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Easter Seals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love my co-workers and the clients.
    Good experience for a resume

Cons

Micro-manager
    Underpaid
    No room for growth
    No valued as an employee

Serious issue with the pay scale and don't feel valued as an employee. Too much drama also.

Very mission-oriented place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Easter Seals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easter Seals has a good sense of its mission and is very deliberate about reminding all of us the purpose behind our work.

Cons

The organization can be a bit top-heavy at times and there are siloes although the organization has made strides in addressing these issues.

Uneducated, unorganized, no collaboration between supervisors.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Riverside, CA

I worked at Easter Seals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary is consistent with most other agencies int he area for Program Managers.

Cons

Many of the Program Managers are incompetent, Interventionists do not get enough in-home training, no disciplinary procedures for BI's so there is no respect for their supervisors. So many things wrong with this agency...

Easter Seals Steals Your Soul and Talents

Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Easter Seals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some flexibility - because the organization is constantly creating new policy and making radical changes it is frustrating to deliver on unrealistic expectations and no measurable goals to the coordinators. Promotion is done by default - who ever is able to stay the longest and under-perform with no real training and good at having poor communication with staff. Across the board the worst nonprofit for dedicated people, but if you are lazy, low performing and can push blame easily this could work for someone who just needs a job.

Cons

Terrible office culture with poor employee work ethics on supervisory and management levels. Even though they enjoy making rules that change daily, it is counter productive to the population it is trying to serve. The Southern California Service Coordinating Management enjoy wasting half of the day socializing and push required tasks to others by not taking responsibility or accountability for work on a daily basis. Revolving door of staff and employees are sent out of the organization like a magic trick never to be seen or heard of again. It is unfortunate because it is a needed service for families with disabilities and they fail daily on providing low quality service with subpar and minimal support.

Check your therapy centers culture and create policy do not make it up on the spot!

Expanded way too quickly and quality of care has continued to sink

Former Employee - Behavioral Interventionist in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Behavioral Interventionist in Oakland, CA

I worked at Easter Seals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I learned a lot while working here, especially early on, because the quality of the program was high and the atmosphere was very team-oriented. When they suddenly had to bulk up staffing to fulfill a huge new contract with Kaiser, though, things began to unravel.

Cons

No sense of community. High turnover. Inadequate training - specifically hiring inexperienced Behavioral Interventionists who did not receive enough training or ongoing support and guidance. Benefits and starting pay were also cut during this time. The review process was disorganized and inaccurate, relying on feedback on the quality of my work from a supervisor who never observed me or responded to my emails or phone calls about the case we worked on together.

I actually feel sorry for the management because they were clearly in over their heads and could not manage. Most of the managers I met were very dedicated to the cause, but there were simply not enough hours in the day or resources to keep the program afloat.

Good place to work but too much turn-over

I worked at Easter Seals

Pros

Fun and overall supportive staff who are very good ABA practitioners. The system they use, the early start Denver model, is a very strong modality.

Cons

The work, while incredibly rewarding was repetitive and quite emotionally draining. I saw a lot of challenging family situations; be ready for intensity!

Maintain your talent by paying them market wages. Offer support and raises. Make sure your program supervisors