Easter Seals

Updated December 21, 2014
2.7

Easter Seals CEO Jim Williams
Jim Williams

Pros
  • You're in the community and helping people with disabilities learn life skills (in 5 reviews)

• Work life balance dose not get any better (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The organization has expanded to quickly and upper management has grown too large (in 11 reviews)

• Lot's of paperwork, long hours, low pay, and tends to be very political (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Easter Seals Steals Your Soul and Talents

Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Easter Seals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some flexibility - because the organization is constantly creating new policy and making radical changes it is frustrating to deliver on unrealistic expectations and no measurable goals to the coordinators. Promotion is done by default - who ever is able to stay the longest and under-perform with no real training and good at having poor communication with staff. Across the board the worst nonprofit for dedicated people, but if you are lazy, low performing and can push blame easily this could work for someone who just needs a job.

Cons

Terrible office culture with poor employee work ethics on supervisory and management levels. Even though they enjoy making rules that change daily, it is counter productive to the population it is trying to serve. The Southern California Service Coordinating Management enjoy wasting half of the day socializing and push required tasks to others by not taking responsibility or accountability for work on a daily basis. Revolving door of staff and employees are sent out of the organization like a magic trick never to be seen or heard of again. It is unfortunate because it is a needed service for families with disabilities and they fail daily on providing low quality service with subpar and minimal support.

Check your therapy centers culture and create policy do not make it up on the spot!

Good place to work but too much turn-over

I worked at Easter Seals

Pros

Fun and overall supportive staff who are very good ABA practitioners. The system they use, the early start Denver model, is a very strong modality.

Cons

The work, while incredibly rewarding was repetitive and quite emotionally draining. I saw a lot of challenging family situations; be ready for intensity!

Maintain your talent by paying them market wages. Offer support and raises. Make sure your program supervisors

Easter Seals Midwest: Anatomy of a Failed Nonprofit

Former Employee - Community Living Instructor in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Community Living Instructor in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Easter Seals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Camaraderie with coworkers; generous vacation hours; rewarding work with cognitively disabled and autistic individuals. That's about it.

Cons

Unresponsive, sometimes hostile upper management; high turnover; nepotism; low pay; staff are seen as numbers to fill staffing patterns, not people; no raises; retaliation on direct care staff when complaints are made about management; run by incompetents. This used to actually be 2 failing agencies that merged, and took on the Easter Seals name while still maintaining old policy. It's kinda like taking a Kmart shirt and sewing a Polo logo on it. In the end, it's still an inferior product. Work here if you're a masochist.

Figure out that establishing communication with staff and treating them with respect instead of just paying them lip service will keep your houses in order. Stop acting like the problems in houses are staff-related: 90% of the time, the problem lies with supervisors and managers. Stop sticking up for incompetent managers. If staff after staff complain about a certain manager, chances are that that manager is doing a terrible job.

Pay is OK, workload is too much and management doesn't do much

Former Employee - Database Administrator
    Former Employee - Database Administrator

I worked at Easter Seals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The compensation is OK, It's not horrible for a mid-level office job.

Cons

VPs and management make WAY too much money and I don't know how they can sleep at night knowing the people who do the real work are paid minimum wage. The company does not seem to be doing well and yet the Executives won't budge on THEIR salaries. Working conditions are not great either. I did a lot of work on nights and weekends and was paid a below average salary.

Love the families and kiddos, disappointed in upper management

Current Employee - Program Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Easter Seals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work that is done is life changing. I love the families and kiddos we work with and it is incredibly rewarding. We also have an amazing staff of BI's and Program supervisors that make the job that much more enjoyable. I feel like I work with some of the most amazing people anf have such a super dun job most of the time.

Cons

The organization has expanded to quickly and upper management has grown too large. They have lost sight of the mission of the company of the people that make it happen. This agency could not change lives without the very hard work and dedication of the interventionists and Program supervisors. However, the management team seems to care little about these employees and retaining them....So Sad.

Show some appreciation for the employees making the biggest impact in the company. Show how much you really value your employees instead of giving yourselves huge paychecks and bonuses and cutting back on everyone else's pay. Offer opportunities for professional growth and advancement like supervision hours for people seeking licenses. Be consistent when implementing new policies and empathic in the delivery when it is going to negatively impact people's lives and their ability to function from day-day.

A decent place to work

Current Employee - Pre K Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Pre K Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Easter Seals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

benefits and professional development are very nice

Cons

currently undergoing some changes in corporate management that are making some things difficult within the centers.

Autonomy, flexibility and variety

I have been working at Easter Seals

Pros

Autonomy, flexibility and variety are what ES has to offer.

Cons

Communication and lack of mentoring for new grads.

Mentor, collaborate and communicate with your employees.

Very awful place to work

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Easter Seals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits, friendly upper management, a few nice families, and so kind teachers

Cons

disrespectful management, rude teachers, teachers do not have a clue about developmentally appropriate practice. Parents a two faced and treat the teachers terribly.

Stop being rude, and using your staff against each other.

contracted to provide disability services for the state

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

I worked at Easter Seals full-time

Pros

Had acceptable benefits and salary.

Cons

Because I worked for a sub-contracted agency, I don't know who to blame for the emphasis change from helping people (I taught Spanish speakers English, so they could find work), to simply caring about the numbers.

My management at the state level was very good (a Latino program director), but the local office was not, and I would not vouch for upper management being concerned for anything except having good salaries.

Very rewarding

I loved helping people with disabilities and find their ability to learn. .

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at Easter Seals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helping people who come in pain and leave well again.

Cons

Very low wages and disappointed with management. No room for growth

Pay your people better