Eastern Connecticut State University

Adjunct Professor

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Willimantic, CT
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Willimantic, CT

I have been working at Eastern Connecticut State University

Pros

Treated as a professional; money for continuing education

Cons

the lack of office space

Unorganized, but great learning opportunity and friendly supervisors/coworkers.

Former Employee - Energy/Environmental Worker in Willimantic, CT
    Former Employee - Energy/Environmental Worker in Willimantic, CT

I worked at Eastern Connecticut State University as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at the Institute for Sustainable Energy, an office within ECSU. As a student worker, the pay was slightly better than other on-campus undergrad positions. The experience gained, however, was much more valuable. The office isn't more than 20 people and it almost feels like a big family.

Cons

A recent change in leadership has vastly improved the Institute's organization. Other than that, the office computers are outdated.

Be more specific about tasks everyone is responsible for. Often times it feels like everyone is in the dark, and also unfamiliar with what everyone else is doing. ISE accomplishes a lot - be sure everyone is sharing their good work!

Caring environment & great people!

Former Employee - Marketing in Willimantic, CT
    Former Employee - Marketing in Willimantic, CT

I worked at Eastern Connecticut State University as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This was an unpaid internship for credit. At first, I was intimidated by management but realized after some time that they just wanted to challenge me and see what my potential was. I was given a lot of creative freedom which made me nervous but also taught me a lot as I was earning my degree at the same time. Very rewarding - and such wonderful people! Eastern has an environment that cannot be matched. The school is small enough where you know people by their name, not just their familiar face.

Cons

Not a lot of time to eat lunch or take a break. There were also a lot of expectations for an intern, however I have to say - it was a huge feeling of accomplishment when I met certain expectations.

Working in the ASC was great!

I worked at Eastern Connecticut State University part-time

Pros

Flexible, make your own schedule

Cons

Not really any cons to report

Organized and Professional

Former Employee - Hall Director in Willimantic, CT
    Former Employee - Hall Director in Willimantic, CT

I worked at Eastern Connecticut State University full-time

Pros

Great group of people to work with. Eastern provides excellent services to its students. State pay is great.

Cons

No pets allowed in residence halls

The school is small and offers a good liberal arts education and emphasis on diversity creating a wonderful environment.

Current Employee - Faculty in Willimantic, CT
    Current Employee - Faculty in Willimantic, CT

I have been working at Eastern Connecticut State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a public institution, people are rewarded with decent salaries and exceptional benefits. I'm speaking from a faculty position and can't speak from the perspective of a regular job.

Cons

Due to the political nature and emphasis on improved diversity, if you are not a minority (female and black or hispanic) you likely won't get the position.

Hire the best candidate, not the one with the right color of skin. Affirmative action has served its purpose to society but now in these economic times, it's more important to enroll students of diverse backgrounds to get them the education but hire the right people for the job based on their experience and distinct contribution not their potential one.

State job, great benefits, people stick around for a long time so promotions are not easy to get

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willimantic, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willimantic, CT

I worked at Eastern Connecticut State University

Pros

State job, great benefits, great people to work with, great management, 5 weeks of vacation, 35 hr work weeks

Cons

people stick around for a long time so promotions are not easy to get, lower pay than corporate however 5 weeks of vacation and awesome benefits, 35 hr work weeks make up for that big time.

Good job at making ECSU one of the best places to work!

Good place to start as a student

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Willimantic, CT
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Willimantic, CT

I worked at Eastern Connecticut State University

Pros

Nice people to work with, laid back atmostphere, availability to learn under guidance from others and supervisors, flexible work hours.

Cons

Difficult to predict work flow of the department and at times understand what is wanted or needed from department faculty.

Take note of those people who work hard and give them promotions based on work ethic not how who they know or how well they play politics

Eastern is a small but growing liberal arts institution that is focused and committed to being better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willimantic, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willimantic, CT

I have been working at Eastern Connecticut State University

Pros

Eastern CT State University is a small liberal arts university. We have great people, an interesting student population, and the university continues to grow and attract students and excellent faculty. We are located about 35 miles from Hartford, CT. and less than minutes from the Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods Casino. Therefore, you will have easy access to some of the greatest performing artists and musicians currently working today. We are approximately 2 hours from Boston to the East and New York, City to the South.

Cons

Eastern is somewhat isolated, in the middle of no where, and there is not much to do socially in the immediate area.

Senior Management should continue to articulate the our vision and mission. They should do all they can to attract and keep good teachers, and continue to set and enforce high standards for beginning and continuing students.

It has been a valuable work experience and helped me develop my teaching and service.

Current Employee - Assistant Professor
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor

I have been working at Eastern Connecticut State University

Pros

The students are highly engaged and very rewarding to work with, and in general, there is a highly collegial atmosphere amongst faculty.

Cons

The teaching load takes away time for scholarship, and scholarship is increasingly valued for promotion and tenure, compared to past precedent.

I would recommend that management reduce the teaching load, and offer additional support for research scholarship as well as conference presentations.

Eastern Connecticut State University Photos

campus in the early morning

+ Add Photo