Eastern Kentucky University Reviews

Doug Whitlock

1. Part-time Lecturer

Current Employee - Part-Time Lecturer in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Part-Time Lecturer in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that work in the department are very friendly and always willing to help / answer any questions.

Cons

Some people in the department lean towards "babying" the students.

2. Part-Time Lecturer

Former Employee - Part-Time Lecturer in Richmond, KY
    Former Employee - Part-Time Lecturer in Richmond, KY

I worked at Eastern Kentucky University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Went there for undergrad, graduate, and then taught labs for a few years. Loved working with everyone in the biology department. I was able to teach a number of different labs both while a grad student and as a part-time instructor. Other instructors were always there to help and lend advise. Can't beat working a college schedule. Hate that I had to leave.

Cons

Parking can be a pain if you don't arrive early. Some of the old buildings on campus (ex. Moore) have not been maintained well and make teaching/learning in them uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

The people in charge need to care more about student's learning and thus those that are teaching them. Seems to be a disconnect between professors who are the bread and butter of the college and the people supposedly managing the college. This is a wide-spread issue that is not unique to EKU.

3. Working at the Noel Studio for Academic Creativity

Former Employee - Academic Research Consultant in Richmond, KY
    Former Employee - Academic Research Consultant in Richmond, KY

I worked at Eastern Kentucky University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, challenging work environment with a diverse staff and workload. Supervisors are very accessible and encouraging.

Cons

Student position only; must be enrolled at EKU.

5. Desk Worker

I worked at Eastern Kentucky University part-time

Pros

Supervisor was incredibly helpful and understanding of different circumstances. Working the desk gave me experience with a program called Helix, which allowed us to ensure that we were only allowing students into their dorms to ensure the safety of others.

Cons

Close to move-out time at the college, students were difficult to handle and Resident Assistants were not exactly willing to make the students obey the rules. This requires workers to have to enforce the rules in a manner that is more assertive than usual, and often results in students reacting in ways that aren't incredibly desirable.

6. Graduate Assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, KY

I worked at Eastern Kentucky University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent working environment with the any professor willing to help. Moderate workload that can be maintained through well versed organization skills. Great learning experience if you have aspirations of becoming a professor.

Cons

Not many cons other than getting stuck with a professor that you are not compatible with.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

7. Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Eastern Kentucky University (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, able to work off-site, and good pay

Cons

Grant funded position and it ended up being short term as a result

Advice to Management

Communications between departments and HR is poor.

8. Lecturer

Current Employee - Lecturer in Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Richmond, KY

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Faculty and staff are friendly and very helpful. + Relaxed teaching-focused atmosphere and faculty work well together. + Administration is not overbearing and faculty have quite a bit of freedom. + Less political in-fighting compared to other universities.

Cons

- EKU tends to attract lower quality students than larger universities. - May have to commute to distant regional campuses. - Salary is on the low side (it is competitive for the type of institution though).

9. Wonderful Workplace

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My office at least is friendly and cooperative. The campus culture is polite and friendly. Benefits are decent, not Silicon Valley-level, but good. Pay isn't bad for essentially a government gig.

Cons

Frozen pay, budget woes, the irrationality inherent to bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Branding isn't as important as quality, but I can see where perception takes precedence.

10. Depends on What you want

Current Employee - Advising in Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Advising in Richmond, KY

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University

Pros

Laidback, so much freedom sometimes it hardly feels like a jobs. Will rarely ever get fired. From what I understand there is more incentive to keep employees than fire them. Lots of time off. If you stick around long enough, make the right friends and are decent you get promoted....If you just need a job to live decently middle class and don't want to put in a lot of effort. This is the place to work.

Cons

Lack luster environment. You have a good majority of employees who do not rarely care about taking the university up to new heights such as WKU. Everyone is simply employed to have a job and feed their family. The only time employees people put forth effort to be more than mediocre is when a promotion is in the near future, and some how management always over look the years of nothingness and promote people from the inside instead of looking outside for ambition. *Generally low pay as well...But hey a guarantee job so take the good with the bad.

Advice to Management

Their is a cultural problem at the university. Yes the university is like a family. Yes everyone is friendly. But the university has a problem with motivating the entire university to make EKU more. It seems as of know a lot of staff use it simply to drain a check and enjoy life outside of work. There needs to be a vision and mission and everyone has to be reminded of it.

11. Descent place to work.

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits with state retirement program. 3+ paid weeks off for Christmas break, fall break, and spring break on top of vacation time.

Cons

Not much chance for advancement in my job. Rampant cronyism.

RSS Feed </> Embed