Eastern Kentucky University

Plantation-Style Leadership

Former Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Richmond, KY
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Richmond, KY

I worked at Eastern Kentucky University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the faculty and some of the staff are dedicated and competent.

Cons

Administration does whatever it wants, whenever it wants. Some units are privileged with new offices and thousands off dollars in perks, while others share offices in converted dorms and use hand-me-down technology. Don't try pointing out that the emperor has no clothes. They have been sued multiple times for failing to follow their own stated policies and procedures.

Treat all academic units the same and don't privilege one over another.

Can be a laid back, fun culture--unless you're a minority--but can lead to a lot of drama

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University part-time

Pros

Laid back, fun (see exceptions)

Cons

LOTS of drama.
    Also a LOT of racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. If you're any kind of minority (and I'm including liberals in this group) you will most likely be miserable. I can't tell you the number of racist and sexist comments I've had to endure during my employment.
    If you're a hard-core conservative, white, male and love to dehumanize anyone who isn't just like you--you will fit right in. If not...STAY AWAY.

I don't know...maybe fire people who create a hostile environment instead of just standing around a listening to them and pretending you don't hear their comments? Take complaints seriously?
    Stop hiring jerks who think it's "funny," appropriate, or professional to constantly make other workers and students uncomfortable?

Interesting environment

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Richmond, KY

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University for less than a year

Pros

Helpful staff,friendly small town atmosphere

Cons

Can be conservative and snobbish

Continue the process of improving the atmosphere for conducive learning

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love working at Eastern Kentucky University.

Current Employee - Support Service Associate  in  Corbin, KY
    Current Employee - Support Service Associate in Corbin, KY

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I love being able to help people that are having trouble.

Cons

They have a buddy system, so it is hard to move up here. I have been here full for almost ten years, and cannot get a better paying job.

Give people a chance, no matter how old they are.

Conflicted

Current Employee - Senior Office Associate  in  Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Office Associate in Richmond, KY

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

EKU has provided an educational opportunity to full time employees through staff/faculty tuition waiver program. For the last few years the benefit has been for a maximum of 12 credit hours per semester undergrad and grad level courses. EKU resides in a small/medium size town with a growing sense of community and cultural actives.

Cons

Recent initiatives by institutional leadership has left many fearing job loss, a reduction in support departments (faculty/staff resources), and a decrease in the tuition waiver to 6 credit hours per semester. All this comes after several years of salary stand-stills and increases to tuition. Employees who regularly are assigned and undertake duties far beyond his/her job description are not rewarded financially nor shown administrative recognition.

The leadership has taken a turn for the worse. Recent decisions by the board have put strain and uncertainty in the workforce. Employees need to be valued and shown loyalty, not given lip service and dismissed.

Good place to get an education

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University

Pros

Knowledgable and hard-working colleagues, excellent reputation of the university, small and friendly campus, supportive community with low crime and good education, good president

Cons

Lack of communication from some administrative leaders, sometimes disappointed in administrative advocacy for employees, budget constraints during today's economic crisis

No advice

EKU is a great place if you like a small town environment and workplace.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, KY

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University

Pros

If you are from the community, it is extremely convenient. Chances are, you will know a lot of people there, and if not you will grow to know people and not be displeased. Working at EKU was like a big family, seems like we all know each other and that's about a great a working environment as you could want.

Cons

The only one I can really think of is the fact that some of the older people in management might need to move on. Seems like a lot of tools end up in charge and things can go from great to lame pretty quick. Sometimes it's bad enough that you stop to wonder how they even got that far, but it's not super bad as I did enjoy my time there.

Some people really need to be evaluated for effective leadership skills. Others really need their work looked at, it seems like there is a lot of glaring errors and they go unnoticed.

Excellent workplace with great benefits.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, KY

I worked at Eastern Kentucky University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fantastic benefits: Insurance, holidays, time-off, free tuition and then vacation you may not be able to use because you've already been off 2 weeks for Christmas, a week for Spring Break, etc. Academic atmosphere which encourages independent thought and a youthful, hopeful energy you won't find elsewhere.

Cons

Funding and budgets determine raises. Years without a raise.

Encourage job advancement within the institution.

Nice Part Time Experience with Flexibility

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor  in  Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Richmond, KY

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility, teaching environment, opportunity to work with students

Cons

Parking is not convenient at times, budget cuts

Eastern has potential

Current Employee - Academic Advisor  in  Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Richmond, KY

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University

Pros

Good people - The hierarchy is pretty approachable and open to new ideas. There seems to be some good changes taking place and Eastern needs to capitalize on thier strengths and continue to seek out quality students and invest in them staying. The retirement plan is very good, and the benefits are not bad as well. Free parking for employees is a plus, but parking nazis need help with customer service!

Cons

The infrastructre of the University needs work and quality of students is low. Eastern really needs to invest in more mentoring and personal contact with students, not more in electronic resources, which is very impersonal.

think forward for retention and don't hesitate to hire outside people enough money to bring new ideas.

Worked for Eastern Kentucky University? Contribute to the Community!