Eastern Kentucky University Reviews

Reset
3.9
Eastern Kentucky University President Doug Whitlock
Doug Whitlock

1. Can be a laid back, fun culture--unless you're a minority--but can lead to a lot of drama

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University part-time

Pros

Laid back, fun (see exceptions)

Cons

LOTS of drama. Also a LOT of racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. If you're any kind of minority (and I'm including liberals in this group) you will most likely be miserable. I can't tell you the number of racist and sexist comments I've had to endure during my employment. If you're a hard-core conservative, white, male and love to dehumanize anyone who isn't just like you--you will fit right in. If not...STAY AWAY.

Advice to Management

I don't know...maybe fire people who create a hostile environment instead of just standing around a listening to them and pretending you don't hear their comments? Take complaints seriously? Stop hiring jerks who think it's "funny," appropriate, or professional to constantly make other workers and students uncomfortable?

2. Plantation-Style Leadership

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Richmond, KY
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Richmond, KY

I worked at Eastern Kentucky University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the faculty and some of the staff are dedicated and competent.

Cons

Administration does whatever it wants, whenever it wants. Some units are privileged with new offices and thousands off dollars in perks, while others share offices in converted dorms and use hand-me-down technology. Don't try pointing out that the emperor has no clothes. They have been sued multiple times for failing to follow their own stated policies and procedures.

Advice to Management

Treat all academic units the same and don't privilege one over another.

3. Decent place to start out at

Former Employee - Student Worker in Richmond, KY
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Richmond, KY

Pros

I worked as an Administrative Assistant for several different departments for about half a year while I was a student there. The work was not hard, and they were always very generous if you needed time off and didn't really care if you took long lunch breaks or ate at your desk or even surfed Facebook/texted/etc. while you were on the clock

Cons

Some of my co-workers were very toxic (gossipy, loud, constantly fighting over who gets to tell me what to do--which was very confusing and stressful!) which is why I ultimately left, that and the pay was just minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Please make it clear who is in charge of who, and make sure that the person you put in charge of new employees can actually teach others how to do their job.

5. EKU is a great place if you like a small town environment and workplace.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, KY

Pros

If you are from the community, it is extremely convenient. Chances are, you will know a lot of people there, and if not you will grow to know people and not be displeased. Working at EKU was like a big family, seems like we all know each other and that's about a great a working environment as you could want.

Cons

The only one I can really think of is the fact that some of the older people in management might need to move on. Seems like a lot of tools end up in charge and things can go from great to lame pretty quick. Sometimes it's bad enough that you stop to wonder how they even got that far, but it's not super bad as I did enjoy my time there.

Advice to Management

Some people really need to be evaluated for effective leadership skills. Others really need their work looked at, it seems like there is a lot of glaring errors and they go unnoticed.

6. Conflicted

Current Employee - Senior Office Associate in Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Office Associate in Richmond, KY

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

EKU has provided an educational opportunity to full time employees through staff/faculty tuition waiver program. For the last few years the benefit has been for a maximum of 12 credit hours per semester undergrad and grad level courses. EKU resides in a small/medium size town with a growing sense of community and cultural actives.

Cons

Recent initiatives by institutional leadership has left many fearing job loss, a reduction in support departments (faculty/staff resources), and a decrease in the tuition waiver to 6 credit hours per semester. All this comes after several years of salary stand-stills and increases to tuition. Employees who regularly are assigned and undertake duties far beyond his/her job description are not rewarded financially nor shown administrative recognition.

Advice to Management

The leadership has taken a turn for the worse. Recent decisions by the board have put strain and uncertainty in the workforce. Employees need to be valued and shown loyalty, not given lip service and dismissed.

7. I love working at Eastern Kentucky University.

Current Employee - Support Service Associate in Corbin, KY
    Current Employee - Support Service Associate in Corbin, KY

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love being able to help people that are having trouble.

Cons

They have a buddy system, so it is hard to move up here. I have been here full for almost ten years, and cannot get a better paying job.

Advice to Management

Give people a chance, no matter how old they are.

8. Interesting environment

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Richmond, KY

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University (Less than a year)

Pros

Helpful staff,friendly small town atmosphere

Cons

Can be conservative and snobbish

Advice to Management

Continue the process of improving the atmosphere for conducive learning

9. Positive experience - if you can learn your place

Pros

It's truthfully just another job.

Cons

No compensation, few perks. You work, and you leave.

10. Descent place to work.

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits with state retirement program. 3+ paid weeks off for Christmas break, fall break, and spring break on top of vacation time.

Cons

Not much chance for advancement in my job. Rampant cronyism.

11. Depends on What you want

Current Employee - Advising in Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Advising in Richmond, KY

Pros

Laidback, so much freedom sometimes it hardly feels like a jobs. Will rarely ever get fired. From what I understand there is more incentive to keep employees than fire them. Lots of time off. If you stick around long enough, make the right friends and are decent you get promoted....If you just need a job to live decently middle class and don't want to put in a lot of effort. This is the place to work.

Cons

Lack luster environment. You have a good majority of employees who do not rarely care about taking the university up to new heights such as WKU. Everyone is simply employed to have a job and feed their family. The only time employees people put forth effort to be more than mediocre is when a promotion is in the near future, and some how management always over look the years of nothingness and promote people from the inside instead of looking outside for ambition. *Generally low pay as well...But hey a guarantee job so take the good with the bad.

Advice to Management

Their is a cultural problem at the university. Yes the university is like a family. Yes everyone is friendly. But the university has a problem with motivating the entire university to make EKU more. It seems as of know a lot of staff use it simply to drain a check and enjoy life outside of work. There needs to be a vision and mission and everyone has to be reminded of it.

RSS Feed </> Embed