Eastern Kentucky University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Eastern Kentucky University President Doug Whitlock

Doug Whitlock

Can be a laid back, fun culture--unless you're a minority--but can lead to a lot of drama

ProsLaid back, fun (see exceptions)

ConsLOTS of drama.
    Also a LOT of racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. If you're any kind of minority (and I'm including liberals in this group) you will most likely be miserable. I can't tell you the number of racist and sexist comments I've had to endure during my employment.
    If you're a hard-core conservative, white, male and love to dehumanize anyone who isn't just like you--you will fit right in. If not...STAY AWAY.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know...maybe fire people who create a hostile environment instead of just standing around a listening to them and pretending you don't hear their comments? Take complaints seriously?
    Stop hiring jerks who think it's "funny," appropriate, or professional to constantly make other workers and students uncomfortable?

I love working at Eastern Kentucky University.

Support Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Corbin, KY

ProsI love being able to help people that are having trouble.

ConsThey have a buddy system, so it is hard to move up here. I have been here full for almost ten years, and cannot get a better paying job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people a chance, no matter how old they are.

Conflicted

Senior Office Associate (Current Employee)
    Richmond, KY

ProsEKU has provided an educational opportunity to full time employees through staff/faculty tuition waiver program. For the last few years the benefit has been for a maximum of 12 credit hours per semester undergrad and grad level courses. EKU resides in a small/medium size town with a growing sense of community and cultural actives.

ConsRecent initiatives by institutional leadership has left many fearing job loss, a reduction in support departments (faculty/staff resources), and a decrease in the tuition waiver to 6 credit hours per semester. All this comes after several years of salary stand-stills and increases to tuition. Employees who regularly are assigned and undertake duties far beyond his/her job description are not rewarded financially nor shown administrative recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership has taken a turn for the worse. Recent decisions by the board have put strain and uncertainty in the workforce. Employees need to be valued and shown loyalty, not given lip service and dismissed.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to get an education

ProsKnowledgable and hard-working colleagues, excellent reputation of the university, small and friendly campus, supportive community with low crime and good education, good president

ConsLack of communication from some administrative leaders, sometimes disappointed in administrative advocacy for employees, budget constraints during today's economic crisis

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice

EKU is a great place if you like a small town environment and workplace.

Richmond, KY

ProsIf you are from the community, it is extremely convenient. Chances are, you will know a lot of people there, and if not you will grow to know people and not be displeased. Working at EKU was like a big family, seems like we all know each other and that's about a great a working environment as you could want.

ConsThe only one I can really think of is the fact that some of the older people in management might need to move on. Seems like a lot of tools end up in charge and things can go from great to lame pretty quick. Sometimes it's bad enough that you stop to wonder how they even got that far, but it's not super bad as I did enjoy my time there.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome people really need to be evaluated for effective leadership skills. Others really need their work looked at, it seems like there is a lot of glaring errors and they go unnoticed.

Excellent workplace with great benefits.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Richmond, KY

ProsFantastic benefits: Insurance, holidays, time-off, free tuition and then vacation you may not be able to use because you've already been off 2 weeks for Christmas, a week for Spring Break, etc. Academic atmosphere which encourages independent thought and a youthful, hopeful energy you won't find elsewhere.

ConsFunding and budgets determine raises. Years without a raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage job advancement within the institution.

Nice Part Time Experience with Flexibility

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee)
    Richmond, KY

ProsFlexibility, teaching environment, opportunity to work with students

ConsParking is not convenient at times, budget cuts

Eastern has potential

Academic Advisor (Current Employee)
    Richmond, KY

ProsGood people - The hierarchy is pretty approachable and open to new ideas. There seems to be some good changes taking place and Eastern needs to capitalize on thier strengths and continue to seek out quality students and invest in them staying. The retirement plan is very good, and the benefits are not bad as well. Free parking for employees is a plus, but parking nazis need help with customer service!

ConsThe infrastructre of the University needs work and quality of students is low. Eastern really needs to invest in more mentoring and personal contact with students, not more in electronic resources, which is very impersonal.

Advice to Senior Managementthink forward for retention and don't hesitate to hire outside people enough money to bring new ideas.

I worked at the Environmental Research Institute. It was awesome.

ProsFun, dynamic environment with great people.

ConsUniversity bureaucracy made funding for projects difficult.

excellent organization to work for. Top rated

Safety Coordinato0r (Former Employee)
    Lawrenceburg, KY

Proseverything good, with exception of salary

Consno negatives. Great organization to work for

Advice to Senior Managementconsider former employees for rehire

Worked for Eastern Kentucky University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eastern Kentucky University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Eastern Kentucky University CEO Doug Whitlock . All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Eastern Kentucky University employees.