Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems Reviews

2.9
Michelle Hood

1. Information Systems

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time

Pros

Great advancement opportunity, encouraged to develop career and/or schooling.

Cons

The benefits could be better than what is currently offered.

2. If you want to deal with the BS!

I worked at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, if they treat you right.

Cons

Way too top heavy. Will lay you off and hire two part-times to replace you, or hire a part-timer and work you full time. Will eliminate a whole department and give the work out to others to save a buck but cost more in the long run or mess with patient care.

Advice to Management

Care about your patients and employees.

Horrible Company

I worked at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems

Pros

I can not think of one positive thing to say about this company, its leaders or its culture. You do not want to work for this sweat shop.

Cons

Senior leadership is out to feather their own nest and could care less about their employees. Horrible work/life balance; terrible benefits; sour employees....everyone is overworked and underpaid which just leaves everyone feeling angry and bitter.

I now know why healthcare is so expensive.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brewer, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brewer, ME

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is above-average. There are many positions that one could apply for, should they be inclined. The PEP system they have set up is great, because you can use a general bucket of accrued time for sick, personal, vacation, or holiday time.

Cons

The hours are long, there is very little communication within the organization. People lose jobs to create opportunities for extra VP roles. Money is spent frivolously, and there is a committee for everything.

Advice to Management

I have never seen such a blind group of people. You actually believe that you care about the employees you have, the community you serve? Wrong. You are snakes.

Healthcare Reinvention

Current Employee - Project Manager in Brewer, ME
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Brewer, ME

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dynamic industry with changes in healthcare reimbursement requiring changes in how healthcare is delivered. Many opportunities.

Cons

Challenges are endless and demands are high due to the changes in how healthcare is delivered. If we don't change it now, this country as well as all around the world will go bankrupt.

Advice to Management

Engage the staff in helping with the reinvention of healthcare as they are your greatest asset.

Terrible experience in Information Services.

I worked at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time

Pros

EMHS is a rapidly expanding company in Bangor Maine. I was absorbed with the acquisition of Mercy Hospital, and placed into an exciting role. They have wonderful benefits and I received OK compensation for the work I was doing.

Cons

In 8 months, I had only one team meeting, I had met with my manager only once. Lots of work, no almost direction. Inefficiency abounds and they are not in the least bit interested in fixing the problems. Management shares almost nothing with the staff in the way of information. I received lots of directives on what I should and should not be doing, only to have these change on a whim. Workers are put into silos and cross-communication is strongly discouraged. This type of behavior is a huge departure from the "Together We're Stronger" motto which is plastered on anything EMHS slaps their logo on. No career advancement options in Portland.

Advice to Management

Invest in the idea of egalitarian practices. Please don't lie or try to manipulate your staff will false information. Share more information.

Depending on your position, this is a great hospital.

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The insurance benefits are great. You get Paid Time Off after 90 days. The food at the State Street and the Fore River hospitals are cooked by chefs. Outstanding food.

Cons

Holiday pay comes out of your PTO. In my case, I support a department but am reviewed by a different department. The person who does my review does not know my job duties at all.

Mer

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, ME

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff are nice at Mercy hospital

Cons

low wages even for Registered Nurses

Great Company To Work For

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangor, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangor, ME

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medical, 403, and other great Benefits are fantastic Support at work Great Team to be a part of Plenty of advancement opportunity Training Flexible

Cons

Not many. You work your 40 hours or more depending on what you do.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

EMMC

Current Employee - Medical Receptionist
    Current Employee - Medical Receptionist

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems

Pros

Able to take paid time off, for up to 4 weeks a year, depending on if you are full or part time. Able to move around within the company and maintain seniority.

Cons

Health insurance costs are high, especially if looking for full family coverage. Over worked staff, and all seem to complain of being underpaid.

Advice to Management

Look into changing company that health insurance benefits go through, if youwork for a hospital one would think that you have great, inexpensive health coverage.

RSS Feed </> Embed