Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems Reviews

Michelle Hood

Healthcare Reinvention

Current Employee - Project Manager in Brewer, ME
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Brewer, ME

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Dynamic industry with changes in healthcare reimbursement requiring changes in how healthcare is delivered. Many opportunities.

Cons

Challenges are endless and demands are high due to the changes in how healthcare is delivered. If we don't change it now, this country as well as all around the world will go bankrupt.

Engage the staff in helping with the reinvention of healthcare as they are your greatest asset.

2. I now know why healthcare is so expensive.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brewer, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brewer, ME

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is above-average. There are many positions that one could apply for, should they be inclined. The PEP system they have set up is great, because you can use a general bucket of accrued time for sick, personal, vacation, or holiday time.

Cons

The hours are long, there is very little communication within the organization. People lose jobs to create opportunities for extra VP roles. Money is spent frivolously, and there is a committee for everything.

I have never seen such a blind group of people. You actually believe that you care about the employees you have, the community you serve? Wrong. You are snakes.

Terrible experience in Information Services.

I worked at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time

Pros

EMHS is a rapidly expanding company in Bangor Maine. I was absorbed with the acquisition of Mercy Hospital, and placed into an exciting role. They have wonderful benefits and I received OK compensation for the work I was doing.

Cons

In 8 months, I had only one team meeting, I had met with my manager only once. Lots of work, no almost direction.

Inefficiency abounds and they are not in the least bit interested in fixing the problems.

Management shares almost nothing with the staff in the way of information. I received lots of directives on what I should and should not be doing, only to have these change on a whim. Workers are put into silos and cross-communication is strongly discouraged. This type of behavior is a huge departure from the "Together We're Stronger" motto which is plastered on anything EMHS slaps their logo on.

No career advancement options in Portland.

Invest in the idea of egalitarian practices. Please don't lie or try to manipulate your staff will false information. Share more information.

Depending on your position, this is a great hospital.

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The insurance benefits are great. You get Paid Time Off after 90 days. The food at the State Street and the Fore River hospitals are cooked by chefs. Outstanding food.

Cons

Holiday pay comes out of your PTO. In my case, I support a department but am reviewed by a different department. The person who does my review does not know my job duties at all.

Mer

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, ME

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Staff are nice at Mercy hospital

Cons

low wages even for Registered Nurses

Great Company To Work For

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangor, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangor, ME

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Medical, 403, and other great Benefits are fantastic
    Support at work
    Great Team to be a part of
    Plenty of advancement opportunity
    Training
    Flexible

Cons

Not many. You work your 40 hours or more depending on what you do.

Keep doing what you are doing

EMMC

Current Employee - Medical Receptionist
    Current Employee - Medical Receptionist

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems

Pros

Able to take paid time off, for up to 4 weeks a year, depending on if you are full or part time. Able to move around within the company and maintain seniority.

Cons

Health insurance costs are high, especially if looking for full family coverage. Over worked staff, and all seem to complain of being underpaid.

Look into changing company that health insurance benefits go through, if youwork for a hospital one would think that you have great, inexpensive health coverage.

This is a great company to work for!

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems

Pros

Great organization with some of the best people that I have ever worked with.

Cons

No specific vision coverage, the interview process was very long and drawn out, but it is obvious that they want to hire only the best.

None

10. Good over all organization is way too top heavy.

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems

Pros

Flexiable lower and middle management are helpful friendly and help you meet you personal goals and famliy obligations, benifits are fair.

Cons

No real vision plan, upper management is out of touch with the person working the floor, If you work part time benifits will eat over half of your wages, most new hires are pool or part time.

Cut overhead listen to you workers, make part timer full time instead of hiring more part timers.

Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems Photos