Eastern Michigan University

Eastern Michigan University Reviews

Updated Jun 21, 2014

Eastern Michigan University President Susan W. Martin

Susan W. Martin

Great wey to pay for graduate education

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsGraduate Assistantships are a great way to help pay for graduate education and include several perks including tuition remission, stipends, free parking, discounts on campus, etc.

ConsDepending on which deptartment you work for there can be inconsistent support and unclear guidelines for your position. For most positions it is importnat to be self-directed and motivated.

Great place to work

Event Technician (Former Employee)
    Ypsilanti, MI

ProsEasy going with scheduling while enrolled in classes. Great bosses who were on top of all that was happening in their departments.

ConsHorribly pay for the job I was doing. Unfortunately it is a minimum wage establishment where someone who sits at the desk all day makes the same pay as someone who has to do manual labor all shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementDifferent jobs should pay more for the work that needs to be done.

EMU is an excellent place to further career goals with the assistance of competent caring professional educators.

BSN Program (Former Employee)
    Ypsilanti, MI

ProsThe company values equal opportunities for staff and students of all back rounds, nationalities, and challenges. Due to Professor Michael Williams in the School of nursing; professor Diane Fox, Professor Martha Tanicula, and so many outstanding professors throughout the university, a superb education is offered with an emphasis on student achievement, and confidence in their program.

ConsThe cons are working in an inner city campus, where campus parking can be a challenge for new hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff retention is extremely important to students and the University. I have observed a commitment toward this goal. Staff and student confidence in the management is a priority. if there are concerns they need to be taken seriously and in a timely fashion.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great peers, less confidence in management

Ypsilanti, MI

ProsI found a lot of support across departments. People are friendly and willing to help.

ConsThe budget is at the mercy of the economy. It didn't make sense to install the "superprofessor" pay at a time when the university needs to retire as many as are willing to do so.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep progressing towards greater organizational compliance to best practices such as performance reviews, merit pay, etc

Lots of different areas to work in

ProsThe people are passionate and many parts are very team oriented. I enjoyed much of my time working in the IT department for this reason.

ConsThe facility needs updating across the board. Residential, and many classroom buildings are quite out of date

Lab assistant job was quite fulfilling

Lab Assistant (Former Employee)
    Ypsilanti, MI

ProsGot to know the curriculum better and enjoyed helping other students. Instructors are helpful and I believe the pay was about $10hr.

Cons2 days a week and minimal pay. Can get confusing when students have no ideal what is going on. Not enough authority to make your own decisions, i.e. you have to wait on the instructor to give you the ok.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your lab assistants more hours. Maybe have them tutor as well after hours.

Graduate Student Assistant

Ypsilanti, MI

ProsFlexible hours, knew what was expected of me.

ConsI was not given any benefits.

Graduate assistant

ProsFun and efficient working environment.

ConsNo future opportunity., once your graduate you got to leave the job

it is great university for students

Lab Assistant (Current Employee)
    Ypsilanti, MI

ProsWorking at emu will bring me a lot of benefits. First of all, I can make more friends besides Chinese student because I come from China. Secondly, it also improve my English. Thirdly, I cam learn something I do not know from other student

ConsThe time of working time is too short.

A graduate assistant at EMU is merely an "Indentured Servant"

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsTuition assistance//Opportunity to build relationships with some outstanding educators and researchers.

ConsMost students are taken advantage of and under appreciated. Department supervisors completely disregard the best interest of the student. My graduate assistantship did not contribute whatsoever to my educational goals nor was it a valuable experience. It was a miserable extremely low paying job. There was a constant sense of fear and intimidation. Complaining only caused more problems---mistakes, even a tiny error, was followed by threats; requests for time off were denied; responsibilities increased every week; and received minimal recognition for going above and beyond. Worked an average of 40 hours a week and only paid for 10 hours at about $10.00/hr. I had to quit my job (primary source of income) and was forced into debt. I had to deal with monthly shutoffs (internet, electricity, phone) due to outstanding balances and expensive medical bills. But most importantly, I had to sacrifice required coursework, educational and work opportunities, social life, mental and physical health...and even my graduation ceremony. I wish I could get those two years of my life back!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe graduate school and/or human resource should get involved with the colleges and departments as soon as possible.

Worked for Eastern Michigan University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eastern Michigan University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Eastern Michigan University CEO Susan W. Martin. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Eastern Michigan University employees.