Eastern Virginia Medical School Reviews

Eastern Virginia Medical School President Harry T. Lester
Harry T. Lester

1. Great Place to work for

I have been working at Eastern Virginia Medical School

Pros

Friendly environment, opportunity to meet and work with different levels of staff. Reputable institution.

Cons

Not enough hours, a bit of disorganization with logistics.

2. Coordinator

Current Employee - Coordinator in Portsmouth, VA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Portsmouth, VA

I have been working at Eastern Virginia Medical School full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You have the potential to work with very bright, diverse, motivated and engaging individuals. Working with medical students and resident physicians is very rewarding, and you can develop cherished relationships that last a lifetime. Usually, the faculty members are stellar people - educators and mentors who lead by example, and earn the trust and respect of everyone. Generally, staff are treated with respect. The pay is not bad - a little less than at local military teaching hospitals. Medical education, which goes hand-in-hand with patient care, is a job one can feel proud to be a part of.

Cons

Merit increases - the annual merit-based increases in employees' pay are very low - 2 or 3 % if you get an excellent performance review. They do not keep up with inflation. So if you take a job here, try to get the highest base pay you can - because that's where you will stay, adjusted for inflation, if you are an excellent employee. If your performance review is less than excellent, then you will lose ground to inflation. Parking: Employees have to pay to park at EVMS - this was something new a few years ago, and it looks like it is going to stay. Sometimes, bad apples pop up in positions of authority (official or unofficial authority), and they can demoralize the workplace. The power that one person may have to flip a division upside down is a bit surprising.

Advice to Management

Management is different everywhere you go - there are so many departments and divisions. In general, all do their best to adhere to EVMS policies. The styles of management vary greatly. I would encourage all management to consider that they are working for an educational institution, and in that vein, they should all be leading by example. A great many are, but some are not. Also, please treat everyone as a fellow human being. Most do; some bad apples do not.

3. Enjoyable workplace

I have been working at Eastern Virginia Medical School part-time

Pros

We work well as a team, and our direct manager is good about trusting our judgement and including us in working through solutions to workplace procedures.

Cons

IT would be nice to have more employee appreciation events, such as a picnic, or a Christmas party. So many events are geared towards the students and donors, and not so much towards the employees.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees, especially ones that have been here for a while. Not every procedure should be reinventing the wheel!

5. EVMS

I have been working at Eastern Virginia Medical School full-time

Pros

Very Collegiate Environment. Very supportive of new ideas.

Cons

Politics can sometimes make it hard to move projects forward in a timely manner.

Mixed

I worked at Eastern Virginia Medical School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I feel like I learned a lot in my particular area, and got to work with some researchers doing really amazing work. Flexible schedule, at least in my area, and good vacation/sick leave.

Cons

Medical students are among the most entitled people you'll ever meet. If you do not have an MD after your name, they treat you like a servant. My salary was way below national average, and in the five + years I worked I think my salary increased by about 25 cents an hour, and there was no upward mobility in my department. All appreciation activities are geared to students and faculty; there was virtually nothing done for staff-no professional advancement , no staff development. You really do end up feeling like a number instead of someone who contributes to the mission. It's very difficult to watch students waltzing by every Wednesday with pizza and cake provided by the school, or to hear about yet another faculty member being hired for a 6 figure salary, when staff members have to choose between funding their retirement or buying health insurance, because you don't make enough to do both.

Advice to Management

Some managers are ineffectual and need to be replaced. Bring salaries for staff in line with national averages. Hampton Roads is not a cheap place to live. Show some appreciation for your support staff. Resentful employees are not good employees.

Fun work atmosphere, nice facility, low pay

Former Employee - Research Office in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Research Office in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Eastern Virginia Medical School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance in the Research department, nice modern facilities

Cons

Those with an MD rule, there is sort of an academic snobbery. Pay was low-moderate for the area

Advice to Management

Competitive pay for hard-working, intelligent employees

8. Good Place to Start, No Place to Grow if You Are Staff

Former Employee - Research Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Eastern Virginia Medical School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus/facilities. Convenient location to lots of restaurants, mall, entertainment and eclectic shopping in Ghent. Staff employees pretty friendly and helpful.

Cons

Little to no professional development opportunities for staff employees. The primary focus is on faculty and student development. Low salary. Little advancement opportunities. Dependence of grant funds creates job insecurity for some departments.

9. Teaching Accociate

I have been working at Eastern Virginia Medical School

Pros

Great place to work. Very reasonable and coworkers are great.

Cons

I was under employed

10. Great work environment, variable culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Eastern Virginia Medical School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work and great work environment. They continue to improve and grow the campus and programs. I think there is a lot of potential at EVMS over the year to come.

Cons

Outside of medically-based positions, fewer opportunities for advancement. Due to pay scales, no raises outside of promotions.

Advice to Management

Work to incorporate more students onto boards and within academics to improve the functionality of programs and the school for students.

11. Faculty review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Eastern Virginia Medical School part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Wonderful colleagues and great environment to work for - Lots of opportunity for career growth and development

Cons

- Not a lot of interaction with division head

RSS Feed </> Embed