Eastman Chemical

Eastman Chemical Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa

Mark J. Costa

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is available to those who are not driven toward stratospheric career achievement"
    in 31 reviews
  • "It is truly a can-do work environment where you can always count on your co-worker"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "Being based out of a small town provides unique opportunities as well as challenges"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Sometimes to much burocracy which is taking the speed out of the decision making process"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

My dream company to work for

Kingsport, TN

ProsThe compensation, career advancement, culture, and the people you work for/with

ConsThe benefits are good but not as great as I thought they would be.. Really should switch to BCBS.. Not a fan of CIGNA and all their rules

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Good Experience

Lse (Current Employee)
    Kingsport, TN

ProsEastman pays well, and the position I had broadened my experience and skills.

ConsThey seem to be making cuts.

A company full of opportunities, learning and growth

Analytics Consultant (Current Employee)
    Kingsport, TN

ProsEastman is not a company I would have expected to end up working for given I'm originally from the other end of the country, but it's a company I can't imagine leaving. I have a young son, so work/life balance is important for me and it's something I experience. The group I originally hired into was very much like a surrogate family, even coming to visit my wife when she was in the hospital and they even helped me move. When my previous group leader's grandfather passed away, we bought and planted a tree at his home for him.

Eastman has a strong culture of learning and collaboration. Since I've joined the company I've learned several new programming languages and statistical techniques, driven by my own interest but with support and recognition from my management. The culture is also data driven, but with room for additional growth.

Eastman has recognized and rewarded the meaningful accomplishments and contributions I've made but without a feeling of competition. I love that there's an individual contributor advancement track so you don't have to go into management to get more responsibility/pay/recognition.

ConsPay doesn't feel competitive when just comparing job titles (although the cost of living does help mitigate this). If you're not a Tennessee Vols or Virginia Tech fan, don't try and talk football.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to drive the use of data and analytics in making decisions.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best place to work

Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee)
    Kingsport, TN

ProsI worked at the Kingsport headquarters, and the diversity of opportunities there are wonderful! But hands down, the best thing is the people--the best you could ask for.

ConsLocated in Kingsport, TN, which is great for outdoor activities (that I love!), but is a small city.

Advice to Senior ManagementFuel more research

Transition... This ship does not turn on a dime!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Kingsport, TN

ProsStrong culture of safety. Establishing a vision and long term strategy. Mid to upper level directors and manager are seasoned and know the ropes (in most cases). Strong balance sheet with inorganic growth vision that will bring non-tradition opportunities for Eastman.

ConsTransitioning to new Leadership Team (CEO, COO, CTO) back filling with seasoned internal candidates that have never had to make the tough decisions. CEO influence will dominating the near to long term vision (He is an consultant / outsider view) that has surrounded himself with "Yes" people.

Advice to Senior ManagementDebate with facts and figures that shapes the vision.

Great place to work.

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)
    Kingsport, TN

ProsEmployees are very nice and helpful.

ConsKingsport can be a boring city.

Great experience, but not for me

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)
    Kingsport, TN

ProsCompany is devoted to personal and professional development of the employees. Five star company to work for.

ConsJust my personal preference, but I did not enjoy working inside the plant itself. It is dirty and loud. Others may not have an issue with this but I did. Also, when hired in to the job, I did not have a full understanding of what my job responsibilities would be. I did not get a chance to see my office or get a good feel of what the day to day activities would be like. Had I seen those things, I probably would not have taken the position. It wasn't a good fit for me. Also, as an electrical engineer, the role was looked at as support, rather than lead. Looking at management, most of those people have a chemical or mechanical background since those roles drive the company. It's difficult for an electrical person to get noticed, but not impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the employees that you hire are put in a position that they enjoy.

Great Company to work for!

Team Manager (Current Employee)
    Martinsville, VA

ProsGreat core values that are upheld.

ConsNone to mention, great company.

Use to be a great company to work for but has been raped of most good things

Operations (Current Employee)
    Kingsport, TN

ProsAbout the only game in town. Pays slightly above average but local companies are catching up quickly.

ConsAverage worker extremely under valued and often referred to as useless pawns that can be replaced at any time. Huge pay differential from salaried positions to operations roll employees. No incentive for operations roll employees to do anything other than show up because the Old bonus system was given to the upper echelon and replaced with a VIP (variable incentive plan) that amounts to basically a weeks pay. Not fair or equitable as lower management and above share the take and give nothing to the employees doing the work. Made more real money 20 years ago. Sad the direction this company is going by taking away benefits and decent pay. 20 years ago you could not pay someone to say anything bad about Eastman. Now, only employees rating company higher are either paid or scared.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the foot soldiers, as they are truly the backbone of the company. VIP award is a joke with the performance we have had recently.

Flawed ideology and spineless management

ProsChallenging work and lots of it to go around. Best pay in the area if you want to sell your soul.

ConsManagers are spineless and throw workers under the bus at the first sign of problems. All accidents are preventable culture is equivalent of an ostrich sticking its head in the sand.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccidents are not always preventable. Have managers hold the right people accountable instead of the masses. New blood from outside the company is needed badly! Let's start acting internally how our external persona portrays. Hold managers to a higher standard. We're all adults here, let's start by treating our people like adults and holding individuals responsible for their own actions.

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eastman Chemical reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Eastman Chemical CEO Mark J. Costa. All 512 reviews posted anonymously by Eastman Chemical employees.