Eastman Chemical

Eastman Chemical Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa

Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Eastman is a unique place that values work-life balance and giving back to the community(in 39 reviews)

• Pay packages are competitive, especially when you take into account the low cost of living in Kingsport(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being based out of a small town provides unique opportunities as well as challenges(in 23 reviews)

• Sometimes to much burocracy which is taking the speed out of the decision making process(in 19 reviews)

My experience at Eastman has been very good.

Marketing (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsIt's a great place to work with a nice work/life balance. There are lots of opportunities to move up and advance.

ConsThe only challenges are getting people to move to Kingsport. The company is centered in Kingsport and working to be a more global company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should continue to work on retaining their employees, in all parts of the world.

Great company that values innovation & sustainability

Integrated Global Supply Chain (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsGreat people & work culture; Many different types of job opportunities within the company; Strong focus on Sustainability & Safety; Disciplined, data-based approach and risk analysis keeps Eastman on-track for growth (with multiple years of double-digit earnings growth as proof); Headquartered in a great location to raise a family and enjoy wide variety of activities (especially outdoor)

ConsConservative nature of the company (although it has been identified & there has been a recent focus to look for opportunities to optimize)

Learned a lot about the plastic industry along with industry research.

Intern (Former Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsGood place to grow and move around to different departments.
    People are nice and helpful.
    Culture of the company is very good.
    Kingsport, TN is a quiet and slow pace town if you are looking to settle down.

ConsResearch is business driven.
    Changes in the company goals dictate the work you do.
    A little more vacation.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A continually growing, well established company

Chemical Plant Operator (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsCollaboration on projects
    Excellent personal development opportunities
    Global company with continuing growth in all sectors
    Responsible Care for employees, our neighbors, and the environment
    Emphasis on safety and training
    True open door policy

ConsWork schedule can be daunting but with the assistance of a remarkable team it is extremely rewarding.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for acknowledging hard work and dedication.

Trustworthy, technically excellent company with a sound plan for the future

Technical Associate (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsPeople work together to achieve the greater company goals; you work with trustworthy people - if they say they will do something, they will; flex schedules are allowed whenever possible; management actively works to train and develop people.

ConsFeedback on performance is once/quarter at best. Reduced schedules (less than full-time work) are generally reserved for those with family responsibilities or retirees that are hired for specific company needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo encourage innovation, repeatedly communicate details of successful new products - How was the opportunity identified? Who had to be on the team? What was the path to success? Include info on learning from failures and overcoming discouragement. Continue to set a clear vision of the path forward and recognize those that are taking chances to get there.

Consider allowing professional employees approaching retirement age (55 and up) to work part time for a set period of time. This would allow for smoother backfill transitions for the company.

High Performance Culture = Strong Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsEastman appears to value their employees with competitive pay and competitive benefits. Safety is a focus area for the company, differentiating it from many other employers. Rewarding opportunities exist both on the technical side and the managerial side.

ConsWorking in a large multi-national company adds some extra procedures and paperwork that are not necessary. Finding the way to do things the "right way" (by policy/procedure) is not always easy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget the employees are why the company has experienced year over year growth for several years. Make sure profits are not entirely at the expense of the employees.

Great Place to Intern

ProsOut of work activities are always avaliable, Interns are given the chance to do work that actually matters to the company, mentors are provided, and you are given ample opportunitites to see various parts of the business

ConsTri-Cities isn't necessarily a "happening" place for young adults

Eastman is a strong company--stronger than my first day of work. Not all companies made the hard choices. EMN did.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsGreat teams, co-workers. Wonderful community for families, strong values and community support through $$$ and time of employees. Amazing results given the time constraints/volume of work/high expectations and growth.

ConsPeople have difficulty comparing what we have now to what is available elsewhere and seeing how lucky we are. The big pensions and free health care are gone for everyone. Understand we have the best of what is out there now.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven small perks are appreciated. I am looking forward to a building with windows and adjustable workstations--after 30+ years without them; having free coffee shows a tad of appreciation. Even better, Eastman needs to learn to show personal appreciation to employees, not just say it. When there is a celebration, every person who is in leadership should be there THE WHOLE TIME. There is NO WORK more important than spending time with your people as an act of service to them. If you don't want to mix and mingle, get out of management.

Looking back at my decision to Join Eastman 14 years ago it was the right one! Given the chance I'd not change a thing.

Systems Representative (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible work environment allowing me to keep my family as a top priority, and yet have a productive and rewarding career.

ConsCommunication, but that is a challenge in any larger company. Eastman leverages the latest technology to minimize the issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the longer range vision!

Great company with a lot of opportunity!

Corporate Professional (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsCulture/People
    Growth of company
    Adaptation to changing environment
    Great steward of the communities in which it operates

ConsSometimes decisions can be slow to finalize; however, mostly this is due to the 'collaborative' culture. Sometimes, having fewer decision makers will speed up the timing with the end result being the same, if not better.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue being supportive of respectfully challeging upward. This has led to many great and innovative ideas. All because someone asked the question "Why?".

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!