Eastman Chemical

www.eastman.com

Eastman Chemical Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
1,000 Reviews
4.5
1,000 Reviews

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 79 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Eastman is a company that is headquartered in a small town and has an aging employment base (in 31 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is frequently just lip service when it comes to direct management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Stable company on the brink of greatnesss as it transforms into a specialty chemical company

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Intelligent, capable personnel who can work collaboratively together to achieve stretch goals. The company provides competitive salaries and interesting workplace opportunities for those willing to take the extra step.

Cons

Little diversity in the workplace or management. Senior leadership team has few women managers to provide different perspectives. Headquarters location is inconvenient for global traveling by personnel.

I've spent most of my career at Eastman with opportunity to grow, advance and try new things.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are high caliber and enjoyable to work with. Management is pretty accessible and willing to listen. The large site I am located at has allowed multiple opportunities for me to pursue career changes without relocation.

Cons

There are sometimes hints of the old boys network. New HR policies are very time consuming for managers and punishing to most. In the past, we have not been aggressive enough about performance issues but the new relative performer and rating systems threaten to undermine the teamwork and openness that has for many years contributed to our company's success.

Reconsider new HR policies. They are entirely too time consuming and a distraction from managing the business. Consider how to best deal with less than satisfactory performers without implementing a quota which forces even some satisfactory performers into getting no raises.

Eastman Chemical Company is a great place to work.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

employee empowerment, benefits, diverse job availability, advancement opportunities, family culture, management transparency

Cons

Frequent management turnover can at times cause diisruptions.

A Great Company

Current Employee - Business Director
    Current Employee - Business Director

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Financially strong and stable
    Excellent capabilities and people
    Attractive culture

Cons

Location is not for everyone but very attractive to others

Well-run company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries, strong company leadership, friendly and collegial atmosphere, management has a solid ethical and moral compass.

Cons

There is some fear of taking risk ingrained in the culture. Also, telecommuting is not widely accepted.

Throughout my career, Eastman has consistently provided an opportunity for exciting new challenges as an employee.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Recognizes hard work and thought leadership
    - Culture is a good balance between results leadership and people leadership
    - Invests into building employee skills and capabilities
    - Growth oriented culture
    - Focus is not in one region only. Eastman is global.

Cons

- Perhaps conservative on compensation
    - Acquiring growth oriented talent/skill can be more challenging to recruit to HQ location

- Decisions to invest and make acquisitions more agressively haved created an entirely different outlook than what may have existed in the more distant past. This outlook is very positive for all employees. Keep going.

Good company and outlook for the near future

Current Employee - Advanced Development Engineer in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Advanced Development Engineer in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I think Eastman is a good company with a promising future. I feel like there is good job security as long as you are a good contributor. Also, the focus on diversifying the portfolio and looking ahead is just what the company needs to stay on top.

Cons

At times the layers and layers of processes can get in the way of getting real work done.

Value, reward, and train the next generation of managers.

Truly a great company

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Eastman has a very strong senior management team that provides clear direction and leadership for the company. The company fosters a collaborative work environment based on trust and mutual respect.

Cons

Not many negatives for the company. Eastman is very focused on well-define processes, which has been a key factor in its success. However, sometimes that process can prevent the nimble decision-making needed in an increasingly competitive market.

Increase focus on innovation and creating an atmosphere that encourages and rewards entrepreneurial initiative and leadership

Eastman cares about its people

Current Employee - Global Product and Pricing Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Global Product and Pricing Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Eastman cares about its people through open communication, training opportunities, career advancement and work-life balance - SAFETY is a top priority. I like the focus on innovation and customer engagement to drive results.

Cons

Historically, the feeling was that in order to advance your career you had to go through Kingsport, TN. My observation is that this mindset is changing and that there are growth opportunities globally.

Eastman Chemical has been a great company for me to earn a living and support my family.

Current Employee - Human Resources in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are many pros to working at Eastman. Those at the top of my list include: location--East Tennessee is a beautiful place to live and offers many outdoor activities; salary--among the best in the area; opportunities to advance--so many different areas to work in and learn new skills; quality coworkers--high standards for contribution and behavior; leadership--many managers are invested in the success of their employees; community--Eastman is very supportive of the local community and strives to be a good neighbor and the community benefits as a result; benefit package--Eastman offers competitive health, dental and retirement packages; health and wellness focus--many opportunities and encouragement to be fit and conscious of health.

Cons

There are hazards of working at any chemical company. You just have to be aware of your surroundings and watch out for your coworkers. The smells of the plant can be intense and unpleasant at times.

Words to live by: do unto others as you would have them do unto you.