Eastman Chemical

www.eastman.com

Eastman Chemical Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Eastman is a unique place that values work-life balance and giving back to the community(in 39 reviews)

• Pay packages are competitive, especially when you take into account the low cost of living in Kingsport(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being based out of a small town provides unique opportunities as well as challenges(in 23 reviews)

• Sometimes to much burocracy which is taking the speed out of the decision making process(in 19 reviews)

I've spent most of my career at Eastman with opportunity to grow, advance and try new things.

Manager (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsPeople are high caliber and enjoyable to work with. Management is pretty accessible and willing to listen. The large site I am located at has allowed multiple opportunities for me to pursue career changes without relocation.

ConsThere are sometimes hints of the old boys network. New HR policies are very time consuming for managers and punishing to most. In the past, we have not been aggressive enough about performance issues but the new relative performer and rating systems threaten to undermine the teamwork and openness that has for many years contributed to our company's success.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider new HR policies. They are entirely too time consuming and a distraction from managing the business. Consider how to best deal with less than satisfactory performers without implementing a quota which forces even some satisfactory performers into getting no raises.

Eastman Chemical Company is a great place to work.

Manager (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

Prosemployee empowerment, benefits, diverse job availability, advancement opportunities, family culture, management transparency

ConsFrequent management turnover can at times cause diisruptions.

A Great Company

Business Director (Current Employee)

ProsFinancially strong and stable
    Excellent capabilities and people
    Attractive culture

ConsLocation is not for everyone but very attractive to others

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Well-run company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsCompetitive salaries, strong company leadership, friendly and collegial atmosphere, management has a solid ethical and moral compass.

ConsThere is some fear of taking risk ingrained in the culture. Also, telecommuting is not widely accepted.

Throughout my career, Eastman has consistently provided an opportunity for exciting new challenges as an employee.

Pros- Recognizes hard work and thought leadership
    - Culture is a good balance between results leadership and people leadership
    - Invests into building employee skills and capabilities
    - Growth oriented culture
    - Focus is not in one region only. Eastman is global.

Cons- Perhaps conservative on compensation
    - Acquiring growth oriented talent/skill can be more challenging to recruit to HQ location

Advice to Senior Management- Decisions to invest and make acquisitions more agressively haved created an entirely different outlook than what may have existed in the more distant past. This outlook is very positive for all employees. Keep going.

Good company and outlook for the near future

Advanced Development Engineer (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsI think Eastman is a good company with a promising future. I feel like there is good job security as long as you are a good contributor. Also, the focus on diversifying the portfolio and looking ahead is just what the company needs to stay on top.

ConsAt times the layers and layers of processes can get in the way of getting real work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue, reward, and train the next generation of managers.

My 27 years at Eastman has resulted in significant personal and professional growth

Manager (Current Employee) Texas City, TX

ProsCare for employees (safety, wellness, work:rest balance)
    Recognition and reward of talent (challenging jobs, relocation, compensation)

ConsLarge company results in some challenges. Eastman manages this as well as any.

I have continued to improve and grow professionally with my experience at Eastman

Human Resources Benefits (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsEastman is very disciplined and makes significant decisions with a long term focus. This has put the company on a growth path and is creating opportunities for employees to potentially grow with the company.

ConsThe culture at Eastman is a collaborative one, that can at times slow down decision making and make the pace of change slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on the long term and create opportunities for our grandchildren to work here.

Great work environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsVery supportive management staff who encourages and enables employees to be creative. The company has a great safety record as well as providing many onsite health and wellness opportunities. Employees are consistently treated with respect and recognized for their individual contributions.

ConsHonestly, I cannot think of a reason not to appreciate working for Eastman.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat leadership in leading our company through some challenging economic times.

This is one of the best places I have ever worked at!

Pricing (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsGreat work-life balance. Good opportunities for learnind and advancement. Great place to live and raise a family. Eastman culture is one of the best out there.

ConsKingsport is a small town and some may not like that. Still has your typical corporate life feel. The company is changing for the good, but you must be willing to change as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the great culture that George Eastman instilled over 90 years ago and this company will continue to be a great place to work.

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!