Eastman Chemical

www.eastman.com

Eastman Chemical Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Eastman is a unique place that values work-life balance and giving back to the community (in 41 reviews)

• Pay packages are competitive, especially when you take into account the low cost of living in Kingsport (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being based out of a small town provides unique opportunities as well as challenges (in 23 reviews)

• Sometimes to much burocracy which is taking the speed out of the decision making process (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

I've spent most of my career at Eastman with opportunity to grow, advance and try new things.

Manager (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsPeople are high caliber and enjoyable to work with. Management is pretty accessible and willing to listen. The large site I am located at has allowed multiple opportunities for me to pursue career changes without relocation.

ConsThere are sometimes hints of the old boys network. New HR policies are very time consuming for managers and punishing to most. In the past, we have not been aggressive enough about performance issues but the new relative performer and rating systems threaten to undermine the teamwork and openness that has for many years contributed to our company's success.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider new HR policies. They are entirely too time consuming and a distraction from managing the business. Consider how to best deal with less than satisfactory performers without implementing a quota which forces even some satisfactory performers into getting no raises.

Eastman Chemical Company is a great place to work.

Manager (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

Prosemployee empowerment, benefits, diverse job availability, advancement opportunities, family culture, management transparency

ConsFrequent management turnover can at times cause diisruptions.

A Great Company

Business Director (Current Employee)

ProsFinancially strong and stable
    Excellent capabilities and people
    Attractive culture

ConsLocation is not for everyone but very attractive to others

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Well-run company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsCompetitive salaries, strong company leadership, friendly and collegial atmosphere, management has a solid ethical and moral compass.

ConsThere is some fear of taking risk ingrained in the culture. Also, telecommuting is not widely accepted.

Throughout my career, Eastman has consistently provided an opportunity for exciting new challenges as an employee.

Pros- Recognizes hard work and thought leadership
    - Culture is a good balance between results leadership and people leadership
    - Invests into building employee skills and capabilities
    - Growth oriented culture
    - Focus is not in one region only. Eastman is global.

Cons- Perhaps conservative on compensation
    - Acquiring growth oriented talent/skill can be more challenging to recruit to HQ location

Advice to Senior Management- Decisions to invest and make acquisitions more agressively haved created an entirely different outlook than what may have existed in the more distant past. This outlook is very positive for all employees. Keep going.

Great Place to Work

Business Manager (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsThe company is growing and very profitable so it is just a fun time to be a part of Eastman. Career opportunities abound in Kingsport with the very large manufacturing site and the corporate headquarters located next door. Kingsport is also a beautiful place to live with ample outdoor activities, moderate weather and shopping in nearby Pigeon Forge. The corporate culture is also very collaborative.

ConsShopping opportunities are limited in Kingsport but Knoxville is only 90 miles away.

Good company and outlook for the near future

Advanced Development Engineer (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsI think Eastman is a good company with a promising future. I feel like there is good job security as long as you are a good contributor. Also, the focus on diversifying the portfolio and looking ahead is just what the company needs to stay on top.

ConsAt times the layers and layers of processes can get in the way of getting real work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue, reward, and train the next generation of managers.

A versatile and great place to work

Procurement Manager (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsVery people oriented company, highly ethical, with a penchant for growth despite being around for 90+ years. Work culture has good, carry over traits from the Eastman Kodak days but understands the competitive global nature of the chemical industry and has historically attracted the best available talent to grow the company. Dominant player in the key markets that we serve, with product offerings that match up well with growing worldwide trends such as sustainability.

ConsMostly a manufacturing-based company with majority of employees concentrated in large sites. Recent acquisitions have significantly improved the global presence of Eastman and will continue to strenghthen growing in market share.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue pursuing well-fitting growth opportunities and building the Eastman brand

It is an honor and pleasure to be an employee of Eastman Chemical.

Manager (Current Employee) Anniston, AL

ProsEastman is committed to greatness. Being simply good is not acceptable.
    Health and Wellness is an integral part of what we are and do.
    Eastman has a vision for the future and where we want to go with a clear path to get there.

ConsThere are no real issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the excellent work!

Stable company on the brink of greatnesss as it transforms into a specialty chemical company

ProsIntelligent, capable personnel who can work collaboratively together to achieve stretch goals. The company provides competitive salaries and interesting workplace opportunities for those willing to take the extra step.

ConsLittle diversity in the workplace or management. Senior leadership team has few women managers to provide different perspectives. Headquarters location is inconvenient for global traveling by personnel.

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!