Eastman Chemical
www.eastman.com Kingsport, TN 5000+ Employees

Eastman Chemical Reviews

Updated Nov 11, 2013

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is available to those who are not driven toward stratospheric career achievement"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Location of Cororate Headquarters - Kingsport is a great place to live"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "Being based out of a small town provides unique opportunities as well as challenges"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Sometimes to much burocracy which is taking the speed out of the decision making process"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I've spent most of my career at Eastman with opportunity to grow, advance and try new things.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPeople are high caliber and enjoyable to work with. Management is pretty accessible and willing to listen. The large site I am located at has allowed multiple opportunities for me to pursue career changes without relocation.

ConsThere are sometimes hints of the old boys network. New HR policies are very time consuming for managers and punishing to most. In the past, we have not been aggressive enough about performance issues but the new relative performer and rating systems threaten to undermine the teamwork and openness that has for many years contributed to our company's success.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider new HR policies. They are entirely too time consuming and a distraction from managing the business. Consider how to best deal with less than satisfactory performers without implementing a quota which forces even some satisfactory performers into getting no raises.

Eastman Chemical Company is a great place to work.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Prosemployee empowerment, benefits, diverse job availability, advancement opportunities, family culture, management transparency

ConsFrequent management turnover can at times cause diisruptions.

A Great Company

Business Director (Current Employee)

ProsFinancially strong and stable
Excellent capabilities and people
Attractive culture

ConsLocation is not for everyone but very attractive to others

Well-run company

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompetitive salaries, strong company leadership, friendly and collegial atmosphere, management has a solid ethical and moral compass.

ConsThere is some fear of taking risk ingrained in the culture. Also, telecommuting is not widely accepted.

Throughout my career, Eastman has consistently provided an opportunity for exciting new challenges as an employee.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- Recognizes hard work and thought leadership
- Culture is a good balance between results leadership and people leadership
- Invests into building employee skills and capabilities
- Growth oriented culture
- Focus is not in one region only. Eastman is global.

Cons- Perhaps conservative on compensation
- Acquiring growth oriented talent/skill can be more challenging to recruit to HQ location

Advice to Senior Management- Decisions to invest and make acquisitions more agressively haved created an entirely different outlook than what may have existed in the more distant past. This outlook is very positive for all employees. Keep going.

Good company and outlook for the near future

Advanced Development Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than a year

ProsI think Eastman is a good company with a promising future. I feel like there is good job security as long as you are a good contributor. Also, the focus on diversifying the portfolio and looking ahead is just what the company needs to stay on top.

ConsAt times the layers and layers of processes can get in the way of getting real work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue, reward, and train the next generation of managers.

Great work environment

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery supportive management staff who encourages and enables employees to be creative. The company has a great safety record as well as providing many onsite health and wellness opportunities. Employees are consistently treated with respect and recognized for their individual contributions.

ConsHonestly, I cannot think of a reason not to appreciate working for Eastman.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat leadership in leading our company through some challenging economic times.

This is one of the best places I have ever worked at!

Pricing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work-life balance. Good opportunities for learnind and advancement. Great place to live and raise a family. Eastman culture is one of the best out there.

ConsKingsport is a small town and some may not like that. Still has your typical corporate life feel. The company is changing for the good, but you must be willing to change as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the great culture that George Eastman instilled over 90 years ago and this company will continue to be a great place to work.

Over a long career I have always found Eastman to be an exceptional place to work!

Department Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company is extremely well managed with strong and capable leadership at all levels. The focus on safety, both personal and process, is relentless in an extremely caring and ethical way. A great deal of attention is paid to employee development and satisfaction to allow each person to contribute to their full potential and to be amply rewarded for it. There is a very team-oriented and collaborative work culture throughout the company. The desire to help each other in every way possible is pervasive throughout the company on a daily basis. There is great alignment of purpose through all levels of management. Leadership communication with all employees is excellent!

ConsIn a highly competiitive business situation there is a constant need to be sure the company is doing all that it takes on all fronts to achieve and sustain success. Sometimes there are changes needed that are difficult to explain well enough to ensure that everyone is totally satisfied with the changes. If asked about cons some emplyees might think there have been "take-aways" in benefits over the years that weren't truly necessary. In reality, all the changes have been critical to on-going business success and company management has worked very hard to help everyone understand.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue down the path you're following seeking an optimal balance among business, production, development, and people focus. It's obviously working!

Truly a great company

Director (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than a year

ProsEastman has a very strong senior management team that provides clear direction and leadership for the company. The company fosters a collaborative work environment based on trust and mutual respect.

ConsNot many negatives for the company. Eastman is very focused on well-define processes, which has been a key factor in its success. However, sometimes that process can prevent the nimble decision-making needed in an increasingly competitive market.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease focus on innovation and creating an atmosphere that encourages and rewards entrepreneurial initiative and leadership

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eastman Chemical reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Eastman Chemical CEO Mark J. Costa. All 337 reviews posted anonymously by Eastman Chemical employees.