Eastman Chemical Reviews

Reset
4.7
Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 79 reviews)

• Pay is quite good relative to the cost of living (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • This is a small town when it comes to life outside of work (in 31 reviews)

• No work life balance in my position (in 15 reviews)

1. I've spent most of my career at Eastman with opportunity to grow, advance and try new things.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are high caliber and enjoyable to work with. Management is pretty accessible and willing to listen. The large site I am located at has allowed multiple opportunities for me to pursue career changes without relocation.

Cons

There are sometimes hints of the old boys network. New HR policies are very time consuming for managers and punishing to most. In the past, we have not been aggressive enough about performance issues but the new relative performer and rating systems threaten to undermine the teamwork and openness that has for many years contributed to our company's success.

Advice to Management

Reconsider new HR policies. They are entirely too time consuming and a distraction from managing the business. Consider how to best deal with less than satisfactory performers without implementing a quota which forces even some satisfactory performers into getting no raises.

2. Eastman Chemical Company is a great place to work.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

employee empowerment, benefits, diverse job availability, advancement opportunities, family culture, management transparency

Cons

Frequent management turnover can at times cause diisruptions.

3. A Great Company

Current Employee - Business Director
    Current Employee - Business Director

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Financially strong and stable Excellent capabilities and people Attractive culture

Cons

Location is not for everyone but very attractive to others

5. Well-run company

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries, strong company leadership, friendly and collegial atmosphere, management has a solid ethical and moral compass.

Cons

There is some fear of taking risk ingrained in the culture. Also, telecommuting is not widely accepted.

6. Throughout my career, Eastman has consistently provided an opportunity for exciting new challenges as an employee.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Recognizes hard work and thought leadership - Culture is a good balance between results leadership and people leadership - Invests into building employee skills and capabilities - Growth oriented culture - Focus is not in one region only. Eastman is global.

Cons

- Perhaps conservative on compensation - Acquiring growth oriented talent/skill can be more challenging to recruit to HQ location

Advice to Management

- Decisions to invest and make acquisitions more agressively haved created an entirely different outlook than what may have existed in the more distant past. This outlook is very positive for all employees. Keep going.

Stable company on the brink of greatnesss as it transforms into a specialty chemical company

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intelligent, capable personnel who can work collaboratively together to achieve stretch goals. The company provides competitive salaries and interesting workplace opportunities for those willing to take the extra step.

Cons

Little diversity in the workplace or management. Senior leadership team has few women managers to provide different perspectives. Headquarters location is inconvenient for global traveling by personnel.

8. Great work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very supportive management staff who encourages and enables employees to be creative. The company has a great safety record as well as providing many onsite health and wellness opportunities. Employees are consistently treated with respect and recognized for their individual contributions.

Cons

Honestly, I cannot think of a reason not to appreciate working for Eastman.

Advice to Management

Great leadership in leading our company through some challenging economic times.

9. This is one of the best places I have ever worked at!

Current Employee - Pricing in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Pricing in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Good opportunities for learnind and advancement. Great place to live and raise a family. Eastman culture is one of the best out there.

Cons

Kingsport is a small town and some may not like that. Still has your typical corporate life feel. The company is changing for the good, but you must be willing to change as well.

Advice to Management

Keep the great culture that George Eastman instilled over 90 years ago and this company will continue to be a great place to work.

10. Over a long career I have always found Eastman to be an exceptional place to work!

Current Employee - Department Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is extremely well managed with strong and capable leadership at all levels. The focus on safety, both personal and process, is relentless in an extremely caring and ethical way. A great deal of attention is paid to employee development and satisfaction to allow each person to contribute to their full potential and to be amply rewarded for it. There is a very team-oriented and collaborative work culture throughout the company. The desire to help each other in every way possible is pervasive throughout the company on a daily basis. There is great alignment of purpose through all levels of management. Leadership communication with all employees is excellent!

Cons

In a highly competiitive business situation there is a constant need to be sure the company is doing all that it takes on all fronts to achieve and sustain success. Sometimes there are changes needed that are difficult to explain well enough to ensure that everyone is totally satisfied with the changes. If asked about cons some emplyees might think there have been "take-aways" in benefits over the years that weren't truly necessary. In reality, all the changes have been critical to on-going business success and company management has worked very hard to help everyone understand.

Advice to Management

Continue down the path you're following seeking an optimal balance among business, production, development, and people focus. It's obviously working!

11. Truly a great company

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Eastman has a very strong senior management team that provides clear direction and leadership for the company. The company fosters a collaborative work environment based on trust and mutual respect.

Cons

Not many negatives for the company. Eastman is very focused on well-define processes, which has been a key factor in its success. However, sometimes that process can prevent the nimble decision-making needed in an increasingly competitive market.

Advice to Management

Increase focus on innovation and creating an atmosphere that encourages and rewards entrepreneurial initiative and leadership

RSS Feed </> Embed