Eastman Chemical

Updated September 19, 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Eastman is a unique place that values work-life balance and giving back to the community (in 41 reviews)

• Pay packages are competitive, especially when you take into account the low cost of living in Kingsport (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being based out of a small town provides unique opportunities as well as challenges (in 23 reviews)

• Sometimes to much burocracy which is taking the speed out of the decision making process (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing support system

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Representative  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for less than a year

Pros

Trust in employees, flexible work schedule, easily accessible resources, focus on continuing education and safety.

Cons

Started with only 10 days of vacation.

Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible work schedules, competitive salary, good benefits and get to live in one of the most beautiful areas of the country!

Cons

Sometimes a litle too much focus is placed on Exempt positions and not enough recognition is given to the "backbone" workers of the company in Operations, Maintenance and Business Support.

Eastman is very ethical and exudes integrity. They exhibit a genuine concern for their employees

Current Employee - Integrated Global Supply Chain  in  Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Integrated Global Supply Chain in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I like that Eastman isn't afraid to show their faith filled roots from East Tennessee. It's the first company I've ever worked for that the CEO reminds us of the National Day of Prayer... i think that is awesome.

Cons

If you come in from outside East Tennessee I beleive it's a bit harder to break into the inner circle. However, I think it's gotten so much better as more and more people join the company from around the country and around the globe.

I admire how our CEO's past and present prepare for fluctuations in the market and in the world economy. We rode the last major crash out very carefully but survived very well. I appreciate them looking out for the company's well being and strength for the sake of all of us and our successful employment. Keep doing that for all.

We always talk about work/life balance but with deadlines we all work too many hours - you can look at Lync on any Sunday night and see too many NAR employees online. And if you look at 9am Kingsport time you will see too many APR employees online as well. I don't think we walk the walk on this - sometimes we just talk the talk.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Values, Great Employees, and Great Future Opportunities

Current Employee - Business Leader
    Current Employee - Business Leader

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Strong grounding in values, ethics, and principles
    A culture where doing the right thing is valued
    A group of employees that you're proud to work with
    A commitment to our customers and creating value through innovation and service

Cons

Learnings to be a truly diverse and global company --- strong roots in corporate headquarters a part of the strong cultural values but still learning to operate in a less centralized structure

Embrace the expanding footprint, both domestically and internatonally, and continue to create the environment and culture that empowers those teams to do their best every day.

Company to invest large part of your career life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

intellectually challenging environment, employee friendly- Eastman truly cares, lots of exciting career opportunities which can span across various functions- for e.g. it is not uncommon from someone within IT to progress in innovation or product management.

if based out of Kingsport, Tenneessee - one cannot but appreciate great year around weather!

Cons

headquartered in a small place called Kingsport- so less options for dining, nightlife, shopping. if you choose to join the company be prepared for long drives during weekends to Atlanta and Charlotte. On the contrary, if you like outdoor activities (lakes, mountains) this is the place to be.

younger talent would be further encouraged if they see faster career growth.

Challening and exciting place to work with a culture of collaboration and cooperation

Current Employee - Technology Manager  in  Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Technology Manager in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A culture that encourages collaboration. The subject matter expert down the hall is truly willing to assist. A dynamic work environment constanly present new challenges and opportunities to learn and grow. A team that takes the job very seriously but not themselves.

Cons

Can be slow to decide and take action. Corss function communication could be imporved to better innovate.

Eastman a great place to buidl a career

Current Employee - Vice President Technology  in  Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Vice President Technology in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people, the culture and the vision for our company are all reasons I feel blessed to work for Eastman. Recent financial success of the company positions us well for continued growth and investment. Eastman has demonstrated a commitment to innovation.

Cons

The pace of work and the balance of work and family is challenged at times.

Maintain the focus on innovation and growth.

By in large, employment with Eastman Chemical has been a fullfilling experience.

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician Associate  in  Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician Associate in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The collaborative environment within work groups is refreshing. Total compensation is as good if not better than most organizations the immediate area but could be improved to help retention. Family oriented.

Cons

In certain areas, the decison making process is a bit too conservative.

A job at Eastman isn't a career choice, It's a life choice for the better!

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician  in  Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with Eastman is like joining a family. The environment is very inviting and personable. In my expreience, the managers care very much about your well being and success with the compant. They do not view you as replaceable but instead work very hard to find the right spot for you in the company. The work/life balance is great and encouraged by managment. Eastman offers several courses for learning and are patient when it comes to learning. They also offer several ways for employees to become involved with the community by offering volunteer opportunitities, recreational clubs and team sports. If I had to sum up Eastman in three words, it would be Safety, Family, and Fun.

Cons

Some challenges are about advancement. There is not a clear path for advancing for analyst and technicians.

Create more definitive pathways for technicians to create careers that are exempt. Several technicians at Eastman have great untapped potential for exempt roles but are unable to find the career path that will lead them to positions with more growth.

EASTMAN CHEMICAL

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay above minimum wage; lots of sites; varying jobs

Cons

not many job postings on line for internal transfers

Although not everyone has the required Bachelor's Degree, there are still some very good employees that have given their all and are not in the grave yet and still need a chance to do a dedicated job well. Need opportunities to work in challenging areas too.

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!