Eastman Chemical Reviews

Updated April 7, 2015
839 reviews filtered by

1. Excellent company and location

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very positive working environment, excellent prospects for advancement across businesses, forward-looking management, strong technical competencies, seen as a valuable business partner with customers

Cons

Still quite a bit of the old boys network in existence, but decreasing little by little. Healthcare costs are increasing and we are feeling it, especially with the "consumer driven healthcare plans"

Advice to Management

Be sure to consider how all levels of employees live and are compensated. Open up decision-making processes more and more to alleviate the feeling of back-room deals/decisions.

2. Innovative and productive company built upon strong values and excellent employees.

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Eastman treats its employees very well. A healthy balance between work and family is encouraged. The company cares about your health and your well-being. Management is accessible. In general, Eastman employees are very nice people with a positive and helpful attitude.

Cons

The company is becoming more and more global, which presents challenges as we try to support the worldwide company. Travel is becoming more and more common.

3. Lots of opportunitites across different business, cultures, and locations

Current Employee - Business Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Management exhibits values you can be proud of, diversity of businesses, career opportunities, healthy growing businesses, co-workers that work together towards common goal, general environment of respect for one another.

Cons

Lack of flexibiilty from the standard processes.

Great Company to Work for but There are Always Improvement Opportunities

Current Employee - Second Level Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Second Level Manager in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has strong leadership and stategy/direction. Safety is given a very high priority.
    Opportunities to change roles/career paths without leaving the company.

Cons

Relative perfromance initiative is not very well defined or executed. This program has also been somewhat detrimental to the team culture that Eastman has historically had.
    It is very difficult to adequately reward plant roll employees for outstanding performance, but management is significantly rewarded for slightly above average performance.
    Although honesty and integrity are highly valued, some levels of management have difficult time shooting straight. They will sugar coat things or not fully communicate the details behind decisions.

Advice to Management

Benchmark and target the best companies with regards to benefits, etc.
    Do not become so focused on fast tracking young employees that you forget mid level managers in the middle of their careers who helped get you there.

A great company to growup with.

Current Employee - Senior Team Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Team Manager in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with Eastman over 35 years, I started out just out of high school and have been able to grow up with the feeling that I had a secure place to work and have able to support my family.
    Starting out as a labor and growing into a supervisor position has allowed me to really improve my families life even though I only graduated from high school. The benifits have always been competitive and pay one of the best in the area.

Cons

I have worked Shift schedule for the biggest part of my career. It has been challenging to balance personal life at times but the Company gives each employee paid vacation to be used and you may take it in different increments of time to help support our family and personal lifes. I have seen some of the benifits that were here when I came to work getting smaller, but they still remain competitive.

Advice to Management

I would like to see some of the "Old School" type of caring about employees come back i.e. every employee and employee family member that belonged to the recreation club use to get a christmas present. We would bring our families out to recreation and the kids all go toys. Great time to met fellow emploees and their family members. I believe a lot of people will work their careers here now and never meet the upper managment. I personally have met most of them through my long career. We can't lose sight of our most valvuable asset, "Our Employee's" and their families.

7. Well Managed, Ethical Company that is Fair to its Employees

Current Employee - Engineering Associate in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Engineering Associate in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I think Management has done a god job positioning the company so that it can prosper and provide stable employment for the forseeable future. The company is full of people that want to work and do a good job and the teamwork you see is excellent. The compensation, both monetary and benefits, combined wih the low cost of living at the Headquarters site provides a vey comfortable life. The company takes Safety seriously.

Cons

The company places a lot of credence in getting input on decisions and courses of action. While that can lead to better decisions, it can get frustrating waiting for and getting the input.

Advice to Management

Remember the culture and work ethic of the people and don't feel like you have to implement the HRA trends from other companies

Great place to work and grow!

Current Employee - Integrated Global Supply Chain in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Integrated Global Supply Chain in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are the best thing about working at Eastman! It's a supportive network that will help you learn and grow throughout your career. They genuinely care about your development. Ethical Chemical company isn't an oxymoron here. There's a big emphasis on safety and the sustainability movement is growing.

Cons

It seems to be difficult to attract diversity to the area, where more than 95% of the Tri-Cities area consists of non-hispanic whites.

Great Company to Work For!

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Eastman provides so many opportunities to grow your career both locally and globally. I have found that I have developed professionally and have a sense of contribution since I have been at Eastman. As a new employee, I have found that others within my team took the extra time to mentor me and solicite feedback from me about my expertise. Although Eastman is a large company, the culture is close knit, friendly and collaborative. I love working for a company that is so innovative and plays a vital part in products that touches our lives every day.

Cons

Overall, the benefits are great, but it would be even better if out of pocket deductables were a little lower. The monthly premiums are the lowest that I have had with any other company, so I guess it balances out.

10. Team players wanted!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman is a great place to work because of the employees. Employees here are team oriented, always trying to do what is right for each other and what is right for our customers.

Cons

We work a lot of hours, but that's true everywhere these days.

11. Eastman practices its mantra of making decisions based on fundamental principles.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Focused on excellence. Provides challenging assignments. Believes strongly in developing people. Focused on innovative approaches to problem solving. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Sets very high, sometimes unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Don't just kick the tires - check under the hood - when executing M&A and let it effect your price.
    Don't let the tail wag the dog.