Eastman Chemical Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Eastman is a great place to collaborate with others and grow as a scientist.

Current Employee - Group Leader
    Current Employee - Group Leader

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team environment; challenging projects; committment to safety

Cons

Eastman is very matrixed which leads to slow decision making

Advice to Management

invest in technology infrastructure - we are running out of space due to our growing company

Great people, diverse work opportunities, ethical culture

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman people are friendly, helpful, and always glad to share their knowledge and experience. Work schedules for most of us allow good work/life balance. At world headquarters in Kingsport, TN, there are opportunities to work in a huge variety of work assignments without having to relocate or change employers, so you need never grow bored or underchallenged. I go home each day feeling like I've made a difference for the good of other people (and myself). The pay is good, especially considering the low, small-city cost of living. Home-wise, we get the best of all worlds because the Tri-Cities has everything most of us need or want, and there are several good-sized (but not large or crime-ridden) cities within a few hours' drive for those who want bigger-city opportunities on weekends. Eastman is a good neighbor, helping fund local events and fully supporting the United Way, among other efforts.

Cons

The good work-life balance doesn't reach everybody; some business people are attached to their i-phones 24/7, and operators mostly work swing shifts which are hard on the body and mind. Benefits have eroded over the years (but are still good compared to other employers). "Benchmarking" seems to mean all peer companies are in a downward spiral as the best companies make a mad race to mediocrity, bringing the average down. There seem to be artificial caps on promotions so on average, it is a long time between merit reclassifications.

Advice to Management

Benchmark against the best instead of the average, when deciding whether your pay and benefits are where they need to be.

3. Good Place To Grow

Former Employee - Director of Finance in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Director of Finance in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Eastman Chemical

Pros

Promote from within, great benefits and defined goals.

Cons

They do not empower their employees to make decisions. Multiple meetings and red tape to get simple processes approved.

Advice to Management

Lower DOA and trust in employees

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Technologist in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Technologist in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman Chemical has been a great place to work. I have been here more than 25 years, and held positions in 3 different areas of the plant. There is a great variety of jobs, so you can move around a bit if you work hard. Benefits and compensation are still good, offering some of the better wages in the area. The people at our site are great, with winning attitudes and determination to do whatever it takes to get the job done. Vacation benefits are very good and you accrue more the longer you are employed (up to five weeks).

Cons

Although still competitive, the benefits have slipped over the past few years. Retirment packages for new employees are different from employees who have been with the company for several years, however there are some employer matches and contributions for 401K's.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent in ratings, compensation, and bonuses. The current ratings system seems to demand that employees must be catagorized into areas such as not meeting expectations/meeting expectations/exceeding expectations. Effective teams have many members who work hard to achieve their goals and rating some of the members low is very discouraging.

20+ year shift operator

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Good pay
    -Ethical culture
    -Typically rewarded on some level for doing an outstanding job
    -Culture promotes employees caring for one another
    -Typically helpful co-workers

Cons

-Benefits package not as good as it once was. I'm sure the Affordable Healthcare Act has had an impact, but insurance beneifts could be improved

EMN review

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has very good compensation policies and offers great time-off for long-term employees.

Cons

Eastman is not flexible with people outside of Kingsport (headquarters).

Advice to Management

Think outside the box for employees who don't have the option to live in Kingsport.

8. Great place for a career!!

Current Employee - Reliability Management Facilitator in Longview, TX
    Current Employee - Reliability Management Facilitator in Longview, TX

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good and improving Safety culture!! Good salaries and benefits. Many opportunities, great work schedule. Family oriented company. Overall it's a good career.

Cons

Benefits and salaries are at the median for the area, they need to be improved in order to entice better applicants, and to retain current employees.

Advice to Management

Need to look at ways to recruit and retain employees!!

Longevity

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time

Pros

I have been working with Eastman for over 20years in from entry level engineering to management. I have had opportunities to travel, learn and grow personally and professionally. The training and support given to the employees is superb. Throughout my career, I have given freedom and support to pick up the ball and run. Compensation is above average for the area. Eastman employees pride themselves on being ethical and hardworking.

Cons

Recent changes in benefits have the net effect of a pay cut. Senior leadership seems out of touch with the manufacturing employee and come across as egomaniacs. . We are a manufacturing company not a sales and marketing company but doesn't feel that way sometimes.

Advice to Management

Over the years, senior leadership has changed from home grown to store bought. Along with that has come great commercial success but there is growing rift between the business leaders and the manufacturing world. Its a tough balance I know but there is lots of talk about people being our number one resource but feel like it only applies to those outside of manufacturing. How about showing some more humility in leadership?

10. Eastman

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Your opinion matters.

Cons

Employee benifits going down hill.

11. Good company to work.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical

Pros

Organised and a nice place to work. They provide you same kind of working environment as others by providing same kind of laptops etc with limited access.

Cons

As a contractor it is very hard to use their laptop as sometimes one needs to get information online specially if you are in R&D Department but due to limited access one can't use his/her abilities fully and in this way can't perform the job they need to perform.

Advice to Management

Either don't hire contractor in R&D department or give them access to your libraries and scientific journals like ACS.

RSS Feed </> Embed