Eastman Chemical

Updated November 22, 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 79 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Eastman is a company that is headquartered in a small town and has an aging employment base (in 31 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is frequently just lip service when it comes to direct management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job opportunities and talented employees make Eastman Chemical an excellent employer.

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman Chemical is an ethical, environmentally responsible chemical company. The employees are talented and driven to succeed. The atmosphere is friendly. There are a variety of interesting projects and substantial company growth has yielded excellent opportunties for promotion.

Cons

One of the major challenges has been the difficulty in hiring/retaining employees in relatively small cities.

Eastman is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Market Insight and Strategy Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Market Insight and Strategy Manager in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy the challenge of my job and working with a team of top-notch professionals.

Cons

The challenge I face is managing multiple assignments and getting work prioritized to the best opportunities to pursue.

Trust and empower the employees to manage their areas of responsibility.

Best place I have worked. High standards and high morals

Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is truly dedicated to the community and giving back to employees.

Cons

Sometimes just a little to strict.

Great Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Eastman provides so many opportunities to grow your career both locally and globally. I have found that I have developed professionally and have a sense of contribution since I have been at Eastman. As a new employee, I have found that others within my team took the extra time to mentor me and solicite feedback from me about my expertise. Although Eastman is a large company, the culture is close knit, friendly and collaborative. I love working for a company that is so innovative and plays a vital part in products that touches our lives every day.

Cons

Overall, the benefits are great, but it would be even better if out of pocket deductables were a little lower. The monthly premiums are the lowest that I have had with any other company, so I guess it balances out.

Great company!

Current Employee - Advanced Research Scientist in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Advanced Research Scientist in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company really fosters a collaborative work environment where the employees, especially in technology, are encouraged to interact with each other for the betterment of the company. The company also seems to genuinely care for its’ employees, which makes sense, as happy employees are good employees. And the company has switched its focus to become more customer focused. Meaning they are interacting with customers more often to develop new technologies. This will lead to new commercial products in a shorter period of time.

Cons

As I have only been working at Eastman for a short period, I have not found any negatives as of yet. I guess the area could be a concern for some as it is not located in a metropolitan area, but East TN is beautiful, and if you enjoy the outdoors, there are not many better places to be located.

The customer focused initiatives are great and should help grow the company. The purchasing of other companies to expand the portfolio is also great and important to the company’s future. Keep it up!

Excellent place to work!

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive, friendly culture, excellent work-life balance, flexible schedule, many growth opportunities, tons of training opportunities,

Cons

Corporate head-quarters is located in a small, not-so-diverse town

We need women on the executive team!

I found a "pinch me" job with Eastman!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

At first it was hard for me to believe. What they say is true! Eastman is a family first company filled with incredibly smart and kind people. Benefits are great and the company is performing well. This is the best employer I have had during a 20+ year career.

Cons

I have not yet really experienced any negatives since joining Eastman this year. I will let you know if I do!

Solid company to work for

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and decent benefits. Stable company with a lot of opportunity for moving around. The people are great. Lots of opportunity for training.

Great work/life balance depending on your job and the four 9's and a 4 work schedule is nice.

Cons

Eastman used to promote people and move people around faster, but now both of these processes can be slow. Despite record breaking performance, promotions and bonuses are mediocre. The salaray is attractive, but when you look at overall compensation, it does not look as great. They have recently changed the ranking system, which is leading the culture away from the collaborative, teamwork environment to more of a competitive environment.

Although there are a lot of job opportunities within Eastman, management seems to make decisions for you on where you get moved, rather than talking to you about where you want to move.

Make more of an effort to talk with employees about their career interests/paths. Consider allowing telecommuting as a part of the work schedule. Do a better job of rewarding employees for good performance.

Excellent place to work.

Current Employee - Engineer in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to live; good benefits and salary; great attitude in the workplace.

Cons

Like everyone, health care changes brought on by disasterous government laws are negatively affecting health benefits

Never lose sight of where we came from, who we are, and what we value

Great place to work while raising a family!

Current Employee - Engineer in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Eastman has been very supportive to me and my family with transitioning from working as a full-time employee to part-time in order to raise a family.

Cons

Even as a full-time employee, it's very difficult to get promoted no matter how hard you work.

Focus on the things that matter to Millennials as they become a majority in the workforce