Eastman Chemical

Updated October 25, 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 72 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Eastman is a company that is headquartered in a small town and has an aging employment base (in 31 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is frequently just lip service when it comes to direct management (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

539 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A good company beginning to follow industries norms to hurt the employees: An engineers perspective.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Until recently Eastman has been an extremely stable place to work. In fact in the last two weeks I went to to 40 year's at Eastman anniversary parties. The starting pay is competitive. The work life balance is good. The area around Eastman is relatively inexpensive to live in. There are lots of opportunities for training and personal development. Overall, I like my job and enjoy Eastman.

Cons

In order to grow as a company Eastman has adopted common industry practices that are making it less attractive to work for. Recent times have seen drastic cuts in budgets and mediocre raises and bonus even though last we had record profits and exceeded expectations. Also, unless you are one of a select few, don't expect fast promotions or movement into management. Eastman attracts people by providing starting salaries slightly higher than its competitors, but keeps costs down be promoting slow and with mediocre raises. There is no other place like Eastman in the area, so you would have to move to find another decent engineering job.

Care more about the employee than the shareholder. You can be a successful profitable company and keep your employees happy and paid well. If you do then maybe other companies will follow suit and start building back the middle class.

Great place to work and grow!

Current Employee - Integrated Global Supply Chain in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Integrated Global Supply Chain in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are the best thing about working at Eastman! It's a supportive network that will help you learn and grow throughout your career. They genuinely care about your development. Ethical Chemical company isn't an oxymoron here. There's a big emphasis on safety and the sustainability movement is growing.

Cons

It seems to be difficult to attract diversity to the area, where more than 95% of the Tri-Cities area consists of non-hispanic whites.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It really is a great place to work. The pay is good, and benefits are comparable. There is ample opportunity for training and working with many different people. There is a sense of community and family. The company is growing with many opportunities in areas in which Eastman leads the market. Teamwork and networking are emphasized strongly. Safety is a top priority at Eastman.

Cons

Some things take a while to get initiated or to shift gears. Some of the petty things that should be a simple decision take a longer amount of time. Teamwork and networking are emphasized strongly, depending on your take on this.

Very welcoming, high performing culture

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is dedicated to growth - for it's employees and earnings
    I've had an opportunity to work for some of the best leaders of my career
    I trust my manager
    Heavy focus on welliness - even a '4 dollar healthy meal deal' that is partily paid for by the company
    Really great computer hardware - computers, monitors, phones

Cons

Retirement and health benefits are not top tier
    Some of the people processes could be updated

Be seen more.

One of the best places to work

Current Employee - Advanced Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Advanced Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing collaborative culture, good mentoring habbits for new employees and fresh graduates, nurturing environment and very competitve. Excellent work life balance and the benefits are decent. Lots of oppurtunities for training and personal growth

Cons

being a growing company diversity is a fairly new concept. Being a global company, management can spend some time teaching its employees about diversity and immigration in particular.

You get a sense that you are part of a family.

Current Employee - Electrician in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Electrician in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This company continues to be successful after (what will soon be) 100 years, which is very impressive in todays world. In my opinion other companies should observe Eastman in how they make each employee feel important, because I feel like this in itself drives a team effort that simply works. Eastman has a good relationship with the community in Kingsport which is also important.

Cons

This is a heavy industrial plant, so a lot of the buildings isn't exactly like a walk in the park, very hot in the summer.

Heath insurance is getting really bad, I know it's getting worse everywhere.

Great place to spend a career!

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Highly team-oriented, very ethical, committed to excellence, strong leadership, innovative.

Cons

Many excellent opportunities to work on. Need to get better at the discipline to focus on the vital few.

Great company to begin a career with.

Current Employee - Engineer in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Eastman does a very good job providing training opprotunities to young employees. They also have a mentorship program which pairs you with a full time employee to learn from your first year. Compensation seems to be above average for entry level engineers. Benefits are also good as well as the work to life balance.

Cons

Lots of new focus on performance driven culture. This creates tension within the ranks since you are competeing against your coworkers for raises and bonuses. The way you are rated in performance reviews seems arbritary and is not on set principles. It is completely up to your supervisor to give you whatever rating he feels your earned and doesn't necessarily always seem tied to your actual performance.

Change the performance rating system. It is going to kill the great culture of friendliness and helpfullness that exist right now.

Eastman is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Market Insight and Strategy Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Market Insight and Strategy Manager in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy the challenge of my job and working with a team of top-notch professionals.

Cons

The challenge I face is managing multiple assignments and getting work prioritized to the best opportunities to pursue.

Trust and empower the employees to manage their areas of responsibility.

Best place I have worked. High standards and high morals

Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is truly dedicated to the community and giving back to employees.

Cons

Sometimes just a little to strict.