Eastman Kodak Reviews

1. Business Downsizing

Former Employee - Manager of Industrial Design in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Manager of Industrial Design in Rochester, NY

I worked at Eastman Kodak full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work variety (different types of products) and a corporate commitment to significantly improve the overall use experience through extensive user testing, observation and prototyping.

Cons

The decline in personal photographic products market (that are not smart phones) resulted in a significant downsizing of our internal department. The company shifted from and internal business structure to a private branding model..

2. Wow, what a huge disappointment

I have been working at Eastman Kodak

Pros

Work from home
    Fairly flexible
    Good benefits

Cons

Possibly the oldest systems I have ever worked on in my life. I think actually many of the systems were written before the year of my birth (70s). The leadership lies to you and customer. Prior to Kodak announcing the bankruptcy, I had arranged a conference call with a large end user customer along with top leadership to assure them we were NOT filing for bankruptcy. Less than one week later, Chapter 11 was filed. I understood that this wasn't something that should have been shared prematurely, but then why get on the call?!?! Postpone it- push it off, don't bold faced lie to them. The top management are all in bed with each other (literally). The tenure at the company is embarrassing and there are dozens of people retired on the job. So when someone without retirement countdown clock joins the company, they are met with constant resistance to change ANYTHING. Imagine that- the employees are the worst enemy for company success. Stay away from this place; it is a Cancer.

RETIRE!!!!!!!!!!

3. It started out as a great company...but over the years has dropped badly

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Eastman Kodak full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Your coworkers were the best, until they started all yearly downsizing's in the early 2000's. Early on there was a lot of places to move and grow your career.

Cons

After the yearly downsizing's started then it was always looking over your shoulder and wondering if you were going to be the next one to be "impacted". A sense of relief and you could work for another year and then be told the financials were bad and then they would have to cut some more jobs. It just got so disheartening. And then after they had layed off someone you had to take on the extra work with no help. And all the goodbye lunches were so sad.

5. A once great company, now struggling to find its way.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Eastman Kodak full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great learning and growth opportunities in technical and leadership arenas. Fantastic portfolio of technology and IP. Outstanding skill, talent and competency in the workforce.

Cons

Lack of a solid and shared future vision. Lack of job security due to continuous downsizing. Employee and retiree benefits eroding. Future is uncertain, and morale took a huge hit over past years prior to and through bankruptcy. A once great company, fallen.

Learn to listen to and utilize the insights and talent of your people. Learn to support innovation and take calculated risks. Create a viable vision for the future. Confidently challenge your higher-ups when you ought to, as there is no safety in being a yes-person.

6. Company ethics

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Eastman Kodak full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good compnay to work with. Good technology, culture, people and environment

Cons

company went bankrupt due to mismanagement by the top managers

Consider having moal vaues when you start working for the company like Kodak

7. Its all crumbling down

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at Eastman Kodak full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-Life balance is a plus. Depending on the manager, there are opportunities to work remotely and in this day and age of technology, working remotely is a viable option that many companies haven't embraced yet.

Cons

What was once the film giant and the main employer for Rochester NY is now just a shell of what it once was. Poor management and a lack of vision for the future has left the company struggling to survive and too many former employees looking for work. There is very little job security as most of my colleagues are looking for other opportunities or waiting for the hammer to come down.

8. R&D technician

Former Employee - Research Technician in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Research Technician in Rochester, NY

I worked at Eastman Kodak full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Rochester is a great community of diverse people. Kodak has a renewed energy about itself and the future and it is starting to be reflected in the employees

Cons

Projects can still be cancelled with little or no warning and new projects are very competitive to get into. Seniority is no longer a means unto itself. Things are always changing

Need a strategic plan for the future

9. Great family oriented company

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Eastman Kodak full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great talent. Laid back culture

Cons

Company culture declined when film declined

Review for Dayton, OH facility

Former Employee - Management in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Management in Dayton, OH

I worked at Eastman Kodak full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent people, communication and vision within Dayton, OH facility. Departments worked well together to achieve site specific goals. Culture was excellent at one point, but has dramatically decreased with the involvement of corporate mandates.

Cons

Corporate bureaucracy; performing non-value added activities due to outdated corporate policies; making decisions "across the board" instead of business unit specific. Leadership within the Dayton facility was excellent until corporate brought in management from other business units.

Take a step back and start eliminating non-value added activities. Do not continue to perform tasks because "that's the way we've always done it."

11. Excellent Company to work for.

Former Employee - Systems Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Systems Software Engineer

I worked at Eastman Kodak full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Research and Design peers are top notch.

Cons

Constant risk of layoffs and pressure of doing more with less employees.

Let R&D make more business decisions and not marketing.