Eat'n Park Reviews

Jeff Broadhurst

Fun yet frazzling environment

Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at Eat'n Park full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, like one big family. Great pay if your a dedicated waiter.

Cons

rush hours can be chaotic, could improve on organization.

Develop better table management in kitchen for when food is done and thrown up under the heatlamp to be taken to tables. During rush hour many plates can make it a pain to grab and not forget each correct dish.

Great company but the pay isn't the best

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Eat'n Park full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training and skill building, great work environment, higher-ups of the company are on a 1st name basis.

Cons

The pay is not the greatest.

Keep better tabs on GM's performance and interest levels. Some seem to care more about their bonuses and what looks good on paper rather than the betterment of the store. If they don't care, no one else will either. It makes for a miserable work place for new managers who are loyal, want to excel, make a positive impact, and do a good job for the company.

It sucks you in and sucks you dry

I worked at Eat'n Park part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You become like a family with your fellow employees. After 4 years there, that's the only positive thing that came of it. I made a lot of close friends.

Cons

Lets see where to start. Managers playing favorites, managers talking about employees to other employees, managers not doing their jobs at all and sitting in the office on their phones. Sexual harassment claims either not taken seriously or results come months after the fact. No guarantee on what days you get off even if you ask or tell them there's a day you can't work weekly. You either get out way before your shift is supposed to be done or way later. (At least as a hostess.) Managers could care less who's actually doing what their supposed to or not. Clean ups are supposed to be checked but never are, so some people do nothing at all and others actually do everything, but it doesn't matter. As far as hostesses go, it seems they only hire people under 18, so the few older hostesses get screwed with the late shifts. Plus having a bunch of girls still in high school working with you is horrible since all they do is go and talk to their friends that come visit.
    During the school year on Fridays and Saturdays you have to deal with huge groups of high school football, cheer leading, and band kids who all stand and walk around like they own the place, scream and yell, leave huge messes, and walk out on their checks. Some of the worst nights of my life I think have been the nights after there was a huge band competition and it's me and the manager trying to seat and cash out a lobby full of screaming kids.
    Half the time certain departments are way understaffed while others are overstaffed (like the servers- usually between 8-11 on the floor at night.)
    And the last, but one of the worst things is the customers. You meet some awesome regulars who you get to know...but then there are other people that complain about the most trivial things you'd never think people would complain about. People yell at you, people call you stupid, they make you clean off the seats that the busboys were too lazy to pick up on. People argue with you about everything.
    Employees that ask to cross train or work in a different department either get told management will look into it and never do, or they get it right away if they're a management favorite.
    All in all, I've never felt so relieved as I did the day I quit this place. I'll miss the people and the fun times I had when I started, but it all went downhill the longer I was there. Every single person that works there is miserable about being there. Any smile you see is fake- as soon as we walk away from seating or serving you, 95% of the time we go and complain about being there. It's a job, I know. But a lot of things could be done to make it at least a little more enjoyable.

Store management needs some improvement

Current Employee - Waitress in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Waitress in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Eat'n Park full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability to move up the ladder
    Good training
    Great first job
    Full benefits after 30 hrs/wk

Cons

Salary, base pay and tips
    Management
    Poor work-life balance

Don't pick favorites and treat other employees like crap. Care about EVERYONE.

Not a bad company to work for.

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Eat'n Park full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Different every day. Never a dull moment.

Cons

Work life balance. Some good GMs to work for and some bad ones.

Hostess

I worked at Eat'n Park

Pros

got to make cookies, pies, etc.

Cons

doing work for servers but not getting paid

It's an OK place to work

Current Employee - Food Server in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Food Server in Erie, PA

I have been working at Eat'n Park full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can get customers that leave you really good tips, which makes it all worth it. The managers are really nice and laid back.

Cons

You get customers that are complete jerks. The managers do not recognize or reward exceptional performance. People like to get a free meal when they can so they will lie and say the food sucked or you gave bad service

I'm a seasoned manager of 6+ years with Eat'n Park

Current Employee - Manager in Weirton, WV
    Current Employee - Manager in Weirton, WV

I have been working at Eat'n Park

Pros

Do a lot for the community!

Cons

Current growth is slow and not many opportunities to advance.

Great for college students but not for full time employees

Former Employee - Food Server in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Food Server in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Eat'n Park

Pros

They have a great benefits package and are very flexible with scheduling, for students and regular employees alike. They offer scholarships, profit sharing, and retirement plans. Depending on the location, you can also make pretty good money. I averaged about $15 an hour, or about $24,000 a year when working full time. If you are a student, you can go "seasonal" and just work during breaks and holidays which is a great perk. They pay time and a half for holidays and there is room for some advancement if you are looking into restaurant management as a career option. It can also be a very fun place to work depending on the staff and the way the day is going.

Cons

You are not necessarily treated with respect. Customers and management alike look down on the employees, especially servers, and they are spoken to like children. You do a lot of work for the money you make, and it increases as management expects the people they pay the least hourly to compensate for cutting back other employees, i.e. greeters and dish personnel. Oftentimes management does not listen and does things that do not make sense, and are not sensitive to the needs of servers.

Overall, moral can be very negative and coworkers are often very moody. It can also be very stressful for not very much money, but that is probably true for all jobs in this category.

Listen to your servers!! They are the sounding board for what the most important people in the restaurant think - the customers! Servers want customer satisfaction the most out of all employees in the restaurant so use them as a sounding board as to what could be done better. Also, it is counterproductive to talk to employees like children because it only builds resentment and can cause people to actively work against you instead of being on board with improving the restaurant.

Not the place for smiles

Former Employee - Server in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Server in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Eat'n Park

Pros

Decent money, most of the employees are enjoyable people to work with, able to give you days off if you request them off in enough time (enough employees to cover a shift), easy to pick up an extra day or two if needed, they will train you for other positions if you'd like, benefits package for those who work 32+ hours a week on average.

Cons

Management treats a lot of employees unfairly and play favorites, sometimes will mess up your schedule and put you on shifts you are unable to work or asked to not work, difficult to have a situation improved or fixed by management. Will take the side of an abusive customer just to make them happy and keep them coming back (seen it too many times when a customer has acted out and called employees various names etc and management bends backwards for them even with their unacceptable behavior). Teenagers and kids who come in by the billions, order next to nothing (or milkshakes) and never tip or barely do and make a mess of everything. Management is not very encouraging. There is hardly ever any praise for a job well done (they say its your job to do well and they shouldn't have to tell you "nice work" etc). Again, favoritism, favoritism, favoritism, and more favoritism.

Don't play favorites and treat all of your employees with the same respect. Some praise for good work isn't a bad thing and helps encourage your employees to do that well all the time. Listen to your employees and one has an issue, please try to help out with it, don't just ignore it. Treat your staff well and they'll treat you well. Have an open mind.