Eataly

Eataly Reviews

Updated Mar 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

great company to work for!!!!!

I have been working at Eataly full-time

ProsLove everything about this company and look forward to a great career here. Great food, great experience.

ConsVery very busy and congested.

Steep Learning Curve; Not Appreciative of Great Employees

Accounts Payable Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Eataly full-time for more than a year

ProsName recognition (looks good on resumes), opportunity to advance.

ConsNo appreciation for individuals-most corporate employees are underpaid and overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease access to a wide variety of resources for employees.

Great "foodie" environment.

Hostess (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Eataly part-time for less than a year

ProsA great environment to be surrounded by knowledgeable "foodies" and great food.

ConsAn extremely busy and usually crowded environment...

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within the company more instead of putting employees on a promotion queue and then hiring from the outside.

Eataly

I worked at Eataly

Prosopportunity to learn about the products.

ConsNo flexibility in working weekends.

If you have to wirk in a restaurant, this is a pretty good one

Server (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Eataly part-time for more than a year

Prosit's always busy. great co workers. fair hours. fair tip pool promotes wine and food education- so if you're interested in that sort of thing this is THE place to be. For the most part, the management was great, not afraid to dive in and get dirty too.

ConsNo breaks. No staff meals!!!! Physically demanding due to size of restaurant and extraordinary amount of business, so not for everyone. Schedules were often disorganized, perpetually understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop overworking the team and hire more people!!!

Great Concept with Opportunities to Advance and Grow

New York, NY

I have been working at Eataly full-time for more than a year

ProsWork with an amazing team of dedicated individuals
Learn about Italian Culture and Slow Food
Opportunites to find you passion and grow with the company

ConsIt is a start up so Eataly is working on creating internal infrastructure and adjusting it so that it works best for the company and employees. This is to be expected with any start up and not necessarily a con but an opportunity to adapt to a changing environment and find best practices.

Start at the bottom...you'll stay at the bottom

I have been working at Eataly full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing food at all of the restaurants.

Cons-No room for advancement. You will continuously be overlooked for promotions.
-Low pay, long hours

If you love yourself at all avoid working here.

I worked at Eataly full-time for more than a year

ProsDiscounts on expensive italian gourmet foods.

ConsDuring Hurricane Sandy they requested we use our own vacation time to cover a week lost of wages. This was for the hourly rate employees only, some 500 people. Salaried employees a small minority got paid. Some employees did not have vacation time at all which meant they would have to 'eat it' for that week of no power and no work. Eataly management "did not consider" paying employees at all at first. After about two weeks they gave everyone a flat rate, many at a lower rate than usual.

Eataly NY does not give recognition, credit or value to the people that are doing great work and want to move ahead. They have consistently lost great people in all departments because of the refusal to give raises or better positions. Most departments in the store and cafe (not the kitchens) have no form of hierarchy therefore you will be stuck in a position even if you are overqualified and have done great work before until one is created for you or someone leaves (both highly unlikely). If you're not invited to happy hours with corporate don't expect to get recognized for your work here. They believe and quote, "Everyone is valuable, but not necessary."

Communication issues abound. No one communicates what is going on resulting in double-work, delays and mistakes on the regular. Plans large and small are haphazardly put together by people playing at running a business.

A job is a job, but this place is best avoided if you care about your well-being. Even Chefs have cried in bathrooms cursing this place. The worst family meal I've ever seen too. No one cares about anyone here.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some structure, CARE ABOUT YOUR EMPLOYEES and pay your employees more money - you can afford it!

Overworked and underpaid

Restaurant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Eataly full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Italian culture, cool restaurant concepts and wine classes. It is an Italian food and wine mecca which can be exciting to work for if you are interested in food and wine.

Consoverworked and underpaid. The starting salary are too low. All Mario and Joe care about is making money, not you. Very hard to advance because management are not well trained.

its what to be expected

I worked at Eataly full-time for more than a year

ProsExciting, some celebrity sightings, learning about italian culture, great co workers, opportunity for advancement is there if you know how to take advantage of it.

Conslong hours, low pay, your life will evolve around Eataly.

Worked for Eataly? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eataly reviews and ratings. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Eataly employees.