Eaton

Eaton Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Eaton CEO & Chairman Sandy Cutler

Sandy Cutler

Pros:
  • "Reasonable benefits, work life balance depending on team, reasonable compensation"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Good educational program and lots of opportunities to move up the company with some sacrifices"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lots of Over-time is an expectation of employment, so work life balance is not supported"
    in 15 reviews
  • "If employees are working such long hours they at least need time away with their families"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Benefits - Horrible work life balance

Production Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat compensation, 401k, pension, health, dental,

ConsSacrifice over production - meaning the amount of hours you work is just as important as the end result. This leaves you working extra hours because of obligation, not because you have not finished you are behind on things. I work roughly 65 hours a week.

Interested Employee

Engineering Management (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsSeems to be a financially successful company with some positive internal feedback

ConsJobs posted don't seem to be real. Many very technically competent candidates for multiple positions seem to be getting rejected which doesn't seem realistic. Again, especially with a very strong technical background.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look into the recruiting process to see why many people with great technical backgrounds are getting rejected.

Poor planning and execution

ProsCompany tries to keep work-life balance
    Do not punish people for missing plans

ConsConstant management turnover leads to inconsistent plans
    Built in financial turnover ratio is too fast
    Too many poor performers just hang on - losing motivated, good performers

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many changes in management and key financial teams give the individuals broad based, but not clearly focused backgrounds. First year plans are hold overs for prior regime, second is their first full input and by the third year they are looking to transition.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome place to work

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Pune (India)

ProsGood compensation
    Work life balance
    Ethical company

ConsSometimes will have to stretch a lot
    Too much of administration at times

Politics make work intolerable

ProsBenefits, peers, liberal company car policy

ConsNavigating the organizations politics, trying to do your job without offending anyone

Advice to Senior ManagementGet engaged on the local level to see what is happening.

Short time frame for performance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking environment was good, Hard driving and focused on success. Pretty much let our group do what we needed to do to attempt to succeed. Eaton is trying hard to do the right thing.

ConsCorporate bureaucracy is a challenge. Very risk averse making many of the projects that our team was brought on to do no longer possible. Short time line to prove successful.

Good Company with Poor Management

ProsHigh Salary Package-
    Good Employee satisfaction in terms of facilities.

ConsPoor Management.-
    Poor Execution of defined Policies

Strong company that's well-positioned for the future.

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
    Moon Township, PA

ProsIn the time I've been with Eaton, it's gone from a 7 billion dollar company to a 21 billion dollar company. Sandy Cutler and the executive leadership have a proven track record of knowing which areas of the business to focus on in order to maximize growth. Eaton has moved away from trucks and automotive in order to focus on electrical products and services, data centers, and energy efficiency.

All companies will claim to be honest and ethical, but Eaton is dead serious about this. The corporate culture is one of integrity and respect. If you think you can get ahead by lying and treating people poorly, think again. Eaton will not tolerate bullying and you will be terminated. Even when disagreements arise, I've never felt disrespected by any manager or coworker.

You will be treated like a responsible adult, and you won't be micro-managed. Depending on your job responsibilities, you may be allowed to work from home at times. There is more of an emphasis on getting the work done, and less of an emphasis on where or when you do it. Work-life balance has always been pretty good, but you can expect longer hours if you want to move into upper management positions.

The company is very charitable, and will encourage employees to donate time and money. They will match employee donations to approved charities. In some cases, I've been able to get the day off to participate in volunteer work.

It really depends on your family situation, but benefits are average to good. They are trying to move everyone into a high-deductible health plan, something that can save you money if you can anticipate your medical needs ahead of time and have the savings to cover the full cost of office visits and prescriptions until you hit the out of pocket maximum. Eaton has done a very good job of being creative in an attempt to keep everyone healthy. From healthier foods in the cafeteria and vending machines, to on-site gyms, fitness classes, and farmers markets, they've really gone out of their way to make employees more aware of the role they play in keeping healthcare costs down.

ConsThe company structure is full of middle managers, and getting anything done requires multiple levels of approval. At any time, one manager can change his mind about something and put an entire project in limbo. If a project requires a large capital appropriation, expect that process to take a year or more. I've seen cases in which it took so long to get going on a project that the initial idea had to be scrapped because the underlying technology had become obsolete by the time funding was approved. Even when no money is necessary for a project, the company is very slow and conservative. If our competition ever figures out how to move more quickly, we'll be in serious trouble.

For certain functions (engineering and IT in particular), Eaton will try to save a few bucks by hiring in India. Some of this is out of necessity, we are a global company with a large presence in that part of the world, and American workers don't like getting calls in the middle of the night when something goes wrong over there. But in other cases, they've reviewed the cost of American workers and have chosen foreign contractors instead. The turnover rate is very high in India, and I know of several examples where we've dedicated a resource to training employees in India for months at a time, only to have these employees leave for another job as soon as their training is finished. The skill levels of these workers ranges from totally incompetent to decent, but even the best ones I've worked with do not have the skills of the typical domestic candidate. They might cost less, but not when you consider that they take months to complete a project that should take weeks. Management needs to look at opportunity cost, not just financial cost. I've also received a lot of negative feedback from coworkers outside my group, who are used to calling me for help and now have to call India.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to cut the red tape, remove redundant processes, and be prepared to move more quickly if we hope to remain a leader in our field.

Good place to work

CNC Machinist (Current Employee)
    Athens, GA

ProsSalaries are fair,working conditions good,benefits outstanding

ConsOver abundance of college degrees,lack of common sense,double standards when dealing with personnel issues,favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck feasiblity or practicality before implementing policies

Work culture is amazing!

Product Specialist (Current Employee)
    Burlington, ON (Canada)

ProsLearning environment, face various challenges, and potential to grow.

ConsChanges occur slowly. But that's true with all large corporations.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible.

Worked for Eaton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eaton reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Eaton CEO Sandy Cutler. All 422 reviews posted anonymously by Eaton employees.