Eaton

Eaton Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Eaton CEO & Chairman Sandy Cutler

Sandy Cutler

Pros
  • Reasonable benefits, work life balance depending on team, reasonable compensation(in 41 reviews)

• The company offers opportunities for advancement, and will promote from within(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance can become an issue in most departments because of understaffing(in 18 reviews)

• If employees are working such long hours they at least need time away with their families(in 10 reviews)

Enjoyable and meaningful for the most part

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits with many avenues for advancement both domestically and internationally
    Great people to work with
    Very large diverse high quality domestic and international product line
    Respected in the global market and industry
    Well financially managed

ConsLacks ethics and honesty in the Electrical Business executives and upper management.
    No direction provided to new employees.
    Management assumes total credit for employee work efforts and successes
    Employees are used and expendable

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept responsibility for employee direction
    Accept criticism with an open mind and discontinue holding grudges.

Missed opportunity to build an innovation center

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Prague (Czech Republic)

ProsGrowing corporation with fairly well working internal processes, possibility to work on interesting projects.

ConsUnfortunately interesting projects are not done in Prague. While the Prague office (Eaton European Innovation Center) is being presented as an R&D center developing cutting edge technologies, it's in fact an internal offshoring center leveraging cheaper labor force in central Europe. Engineers in Prague only work on short, well defined tasks to support their respective business units, no real innovation is being done here.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more support to the employees in their work.

It is a great at the start, but honeymoon ends fast

Buyer (Former Employee)

Pros401 and retirement pension and the other health benefits. Vacation is goo

ConsCut-throat and employees bully one another. Ohio headquarters talks a good talk, but division, like Irvine do not follow. Little empires being built. Pay is not good for entry work, too low. No incentives to work. Rush work and overtime is too often.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop causing division within the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointed, let down

Machine Operator (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsThe people there were nice and the work was not extremely difficult. People were always willing to help if needed.

ConsIt was right after 9-11 and everybody was worried about losing their jobs. One day, management got everybody together and told us not to worry, they will not be having lay-offs. The very next day I got a phone call telling me not to bother coming back to work because I and many others were being laid off.
    Pay was low also so I wasn't really devastated that they let me go. I've moved on to bigger and better things anyway.

Advice to Senior ManagementDON'T LIE TO YOUR EMPLOYEES. THEY DESERVE TO BE TREATED LIKE PEOPLE TOO.

Lie about company policies left and right

Cell Operator (Current Employee) Lincoln, IL

ProsGood pay, (most) coworkers have patience to train you, lots of benefits (paid gym membership, small discounts to many stores, great insurance, tuition reimbursement). Able to apply for a higher position (but based on seniority to get it).

ConsYou get told that the company's number one priority is safety, but sometimes it's obvious that production is more important. In the factory that i work, there is no air conditioning. Be prepared for very, very hot summers while working about 60 hours a week. I go to school full time, but no flexibility in my work schedule; you will have to fit schooling around your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the company's policies, but try to put some of your own experience and thought into how you work. It's always great to think outside the box

Poorly run operation

Engineer (Current Employee) Jackson, MI

ProsYou will have a job for as long as you want it.

ConsYou will not want it for very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange Management.

Good Perfoming Company with Inconsistent Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEaton is a solid Wall Street performing under the leadership of Sandy Cutler. Pay is good, particularly for starting positions. Advancement more likely possible if you relocate.

ConsCulture is inconsistent from site to site, so the material you read on this website may not accuretly reflect the culture at the facility where you will work. Eaton has a number of aquisitions which have old culture. The company has a process called Eaton Business Systems (EBE) which is not well thought out. Most employees will tell you that the trend is to cut down on expenses, even at the cost of growing or improving the business.

Great company when your young and have lots of runway

Supply Chain (Current Employee) Galesburg, MI

ProsOpportunities for growth within the company if your willing to work hard and play the politics. Many different positions and operations all over the world.

ConsAllows politics to drive certain discisions. Promotes people based on only who they know, or where they went to school, or what degree they have and forgets that they need to listen to the employees that are driving the success of the company and know what is needed to be successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit thinking that you know what is going on in the business with your employees. Stop assuming that your MBA's ect. make you qualified to do the job. You need to understand the positions that work for you in the organization and what they need to do to make the plans for the future a success. Start really listening to what people say and then take real actions to make a difference.

Management not held accountable

Customer Service (Former Employee)

ProsPay is ok, great benefits

ConsSupervisors never held accountable for their actions.
    Great deal of favoritism, if you are not "in" you will be "out"

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit allowing the Supervison to snow you. There is serious problems with some of the Supervisor, stop for a moment, look deep in the leadership and wonder why there in turnover. No one will ever be honest on your surveys in fear of losing their job in the economy.

Rapidly declining culture, poor vision for the future of the business, trust in the leadership is at all time low

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong focus on financial performance

Consfailing to invest in business, trust in leadership is at all time low in survey scores

Advice to Senior ManagementYou talk about the balance between shareholders, employees, and community. Time to walk the walk.

Worked for Eaton? Contribute to the Community!