Eaton

Eaton Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Eaton CEO & Chairman Sandy Cutler

Sandy Cutler

Pros
  • Reasonable benefits, work life balance depending on team, reasonable compensation(in 41 reviews)

• The company offers opportunities for advancement, and will promote from within(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of Over-time is an expectation of employment, so work life balance is not supported(in 17 reviews)

• If employees are working such long hours they at least need time away with their families(in 10 reviews)

Extremely professional in every area. Concern and care of employees is obvious to any who work there.

NPD Analyst (Former Employee) Moon Township, PA

ProsThis company is willing to look at workers who are older and give them the opportunity to do a job.

ConsI really can't think of any at this moment

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep giving opportunity to those who have been in the workforce for years.

Intense and exciting product development

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee) Moon Township, PA

ProsExtremely strong upper management, through the hard economic times in 2008-2010, Eaton opted to force a majority of the workforce to take 4 weeks of unpaid leave throughout the year rather than implementing broad spectrum layoffs. While this was a bit painful for everybody, it was a much better alternative to losing talented staff and having to rebuild after the economy picked back up. You get a sense that employees and especially long term employees are taken care of, rather then thrown on the dustbin to hire younger, cheaper replacements.

Work life balance was stressed, if extra time off was needed for family reasons, management was understanding and flexible. Our engineering group feels like family rather than a cold corporate workplace, particularly in the Cherrington, PA office.

I was on an engineering team responsible for new product development of meters and relays, and we were always very busy with new product development. The hours could be long, but you were never worried about running out of things to do. Talented engineers could expect to be able to grow with their abilities within the company.

ConsThe biggest worry I have is a stubborn streak in upper management to outsource to India small to large portions of new product development. I spent about half of each year working long hours to pick up the pieces of outsourced work product and refactor it into something that could be released to customers with pride. There is a culture of inertia in staffing up internal engineering resources to handle the demand for new product development. Senior engineers will find themselves spending 30-50% of their time on conference calls in the early morning with Indian outsourcing companies, and late hours in the day trying to improve the output of these companies into something that can pass quality inspections to be put into end products. If you can manage to get your foot in the door and are a highly capable engineer, you will be valued and find a long term place in the company, but getting in can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce your reliance on outsourcing! Spend more time building internal engineering teams to a critical mass to be able to deliver world class products in a timely manner.

It is the most Ethical Organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery open environment ,You can share , implement your ideas ,processes etc.

ConsSometime may feel to balance between Work/Life.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCareer, development, performance evaluation, culture

Conspolite, some process, sometime is very slow to react

Advice to Senior Managementtake care more about your team.

Accountant

Accountant (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsValuable training. People will have to deal with multi-tasks, which makes people grow very fast. Work-life balance is encouraging and excited for employees.

ConsFocus on policies and rules, which is a little too strict to some extent. Competitive and intense working condition.

Great Company

ProsGood benifits, employeesare really engaged in success.

ConsManagers are not always the strongest leaders, many young managers that just do not have the experience yet.

Eaton is a dynamic place to work- great people, opportunities for growth and development, and values everyone supports.

Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsEaton has a values-based culture and builds its reputation on doing business right. Our people are our greatest asset and it shows. You have to be at work at least 40-50 hours a week and it makes such a difference in your quality of life when you truly enjoy being around your coworkers. I have made some lifelong friendships and professional connections while being at Eaton, and those are invaluable for me. Everyone is really happy and enjoys what they do. We hire really great people!

ConsCompensation and benefits are slightly above market value, but you might be able to get a higher-paying job somewhere else. I think the benefits, work-life balance, values, opportunities for growth, and corporate culture is what keeps people here. Eaton has a traditional culture. It isn't a start-up tech company and doesn't have all the bells and whistles that might come with a trendy new company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to continue to maintain internal equity and reward accomplishments more frequently.

Does not encourage diversity and inclusion and is not current.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Burlington, ON (Canada)

ProsThey offered a lot of training and development

ConsWeak Managers. Leadership does not exist, micromanagement prevails. Not a company for new grads or young professionals. Very much an old boys club. This company is not open to diversity and inclusion, they do not walk the talk.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to keep up the competition and the market you need to keep up the times. You cannot live in the ways things were done in the past. A real shake up is needed in the management team to move the company forward.

Company with good entry-level opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsEaton offers development programs in multiple functions like engineering, HR, finance, IT, and others, and these are rotational programs that provide a good start to a career. There is a heavy emphasis on professional development and getting to know the company and the leadership. My experience has been very positive so far.

ConsEaton is in the engineering and manufacturing industry, and as such isn't exactly an innovative or fast-moving company.

Great Team work experience and strong HR system

Asia Talent Acquisition Manager (Former Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsGreat place for HR people with a lots real practice

ConsWork-life balance issue, need to work more on it

Worked for Eaton? Contribute to the Community!