Eaton

Eaton Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Eaton CEO & Chairman Sandy Cutler

Sandy Cutler

Pros:
  • "Reasonable benefits, work life balance depending on team, reasonable compensation"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Good educational program and lots of opportunities to move up the company with some sacrifices"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lots of Over-time is an expectation of employment, so work life balance is not supported"
    in 13 reviews
  • "If employees are working such long hours they at least need time away with their families"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stable and Ethical

I have been working at Eaton

ProsVery stable company and general great teams to work with

ConsUnderstaffed and slow to make decisions

excellent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Eaton full-time

Proscompany is very ethic company

ConsI do not have any cons for the company

Good place to start your career & grow. Many life long employees.

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Eaton full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEaton invests in their employees, good values, competitive benefits. Global company with lots of oppotunities always available due to nature of the business - growing through acquisitions. Challenging work, great, passionate people.

ConsNeed to be geographically flexible in order to advance your career - especially in finance. If you would like to stay in one location your opportunities will become much more limited and you will likely be pressured to consider moving. Some departments are overstaffed (headquarters), while operations is often in dire need of additional headcount, leading to overworked employees at the plant level. IT systems are very old (think 70's) and not much investment is put into advancing important infrastructure.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Engineering Specialist (Current Employee)
Southfield, MI

I have been working at Eaton full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork is challenging, you need to be resilient and ready for set backs but it is rewarding. I am really satisfied with work and my colleagues. The company still has pension and benefits are good.

ConsPay could be better. Long term plans need to be communicated better

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing the good work. Communicate more than safety and plan longer term and communicate it

Sr. Planner

Senior Production Control Planner (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Eaton as a contractor for less than a year

ProsPeople, System, Products and best of all employee relationship/team work.

ConsUnderutilized and lack of attentions when and where new ideas are suggested.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep promises made to your employees.

A global organization with a good old boys network.

Assembler (Former Employee)
Durham, NC

I worked at Eaton full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEaton is an excellent company to try out your degree.

ConsThere is a still an issue within the ranks to promote only those who might not fit the bill.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the good ole boy system.

Power Systems Engineer Intern

Power Systems Engineer Intern (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Eaton as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat company, relocation benefits and pay. When I work there the employees very friendly and wonderful. I would recommend them to anyone.

ConsThere were some issues in the work place where I was not given feedback. My manager was not onsite which made it difficult to communicate.

Development programs are very good

Development Program Participant (Entry-level) (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Eaton full-time for less than a year

ProsI started my career with Eaton in one of their development programs, which are 2-3 year rotational programs for which you spend one year at a time working in a particular job before moving to another city and a different job. The idea is to introduce you to the business while you develop a range of job skills and experiences. I've so far been very happy with how I've been treated and compensated. Eaton seems to place of a lot of emphasis on making sure development program participants are happy and interested in their jobs. Most people at my large office work normal hours, which suggests good work-life balance to me.

ConsThe industries Eaton is in aren't very interesting, the company culture isn't fast-paced, and a lot of their plant locations are in the middle of nowhere. Packing up and moving every year for 2-3 years can be a little difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper managers I have worked with seem to have much worse work-life balance, which is a concern to me if I stay with the company. I work around 40 hours a week and am fine with that, but I would be unhappy to work the kind of hours some of the upper managers in my division work. That might be a generational thing, to think higher compensation and greater authority is worth working 60+ hours a week, but it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Good company

Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Moon Township, PA

I have been working at Eaton full-time for more than a year

ProsExtremely ethical. The goal is always to do business the right way. You get a lot of freedom. You have tasks to complete and time line for that, but how you get them done is upto you.

ConsIt's a huge company. There is a chance of getting lost in the crowd.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on talent retention.

Very HR Focused and ethically sound company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Eaton full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey pay well and upward mobility is ok. Bonuses are paid well.

ConsMany Silos. A few terrible middle managers can control a division with out any repercussions to their decisions. They have some bad managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees. Get rid of the managers that are consistently complained about. Don't promote them! Get HR out of the meetings. Makes them less productive.

Worked for Eaton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eaton reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Eaton CEO Sandy Cutler. All 382 reviews posted anonymously by Eaton employees.