Eaton

Updated November 26, 2014
3.6

Eaton CEO & Chairman Sandy Cutler
Sandy Cutler

Pros
  • Reasonable benefits, work life balance depending on team, reasonable compensation (in 47 reviews)

• Good benefits and room for professional growth (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance can become an issue in most departments because of understaffing (in 24 reviews)

• If employees are working such long hours they at least need time away with their families (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great employer

I have been working at Eaton

Pros

Excellent work life balance. Fair compensation

Cons

Takes long time to implement changes

Great Values & People

I worked at Eaton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked in their automotive division and had a great experience with the people and values of the corporation. They really focus on doing business right.

Cons

Because of its size, Eaton can be slow to change and policies don't always make sense for a given business unit. Sometimes hard to navigate across industries.

Great place and people. They had a job for me when I needed it most.

Former Employee - Receiving Clerk in Arden, NC
    Former Employee - Receiving Clerk in Arden, NC

I worked at Eaton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good people and above average wages. They move their people up within the company, before they go outside to fill a position.

Cons

Being a tool and Die maker I was outside my element. They didn't seem to consider my knowledge of mechanical design/drafting using CAD transferring to electrical CAD drafting.

Upper management should not refer to the plant employees as "peons". And when speaking about their plant people at least refer to them as employees, workers is sort of disrespectful.

HR Supervisor

Former Employee - Human Resources Supervisor in Arecibo, PR
    Former Employee - Human Resources Supervisor in Arecibo, PR

I worked at Eaton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent human resources philosophy and great benefits...almost similar to pharmaceuticals.

Cons

At the moment I worked, a small group in the HR department for the work we had. Right now, I understand they have the right number of employees.

Buyer

I worked at Eaton

Pros

Great benefits. Pay is good!

Cons

Lots of turnover in management.

Awesome

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Eaton as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Professional people, culture that expects professionalism. 401k is awesome. There can be pressure at times but most of the time the work is expected to be done and will accommodate for personal schedule as necessary.

Cons

Location is manufacturing environment so will be in places where land is cheap. There are a lot of community building events and the culture values health and fitness of employees.

Keep up the good work!

Solid Employment Opportunity

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Eaton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Out of the several companies I've worked for, Eaton has the best business practices and management team. The company is just over 100 years old and appears to be managed extremely well. I have no doubt I could work for this company for another 20 years and still find myself employed.

Cons

The processes in place are more conducive towards manufacturing and sales. This leaves less room for innovation, since the primary purpose of the company is to make money and not to tinker. Since I'm an engineer, this is less appealing since it often means that less interesting, sure money-making projects are chosen over those with a more innovative slant.

Another thing to consider is that Eaton is heavy on acquisitions, so your experience can differ depending on which site you actually work at. It really depends on the local management team and the product lines.

Your business processes are great, but engineering and innovate has faltered since there's not an alternative development pathway for projects with a greater risk profile.

Fast paced, bureaucratic organization

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer

I worked at Eaton full-time

Pros

Life at Eaton is very fast paced, you will not get bored. Pay is competitive, benefits are excellent and the 401k contribution is good. Learning opportunities abound. Eaton gives lots of responsibility to engineers from the get go. This is a pro if you can handle it. Lots of opportunity to move up if you are successful and willing to relocate.

Cons

While good work is recognized, people skills are important at Eaton. The way you present yourself and your projects is the biggest factor in your success. You must be comfortable working under pressure.

Eaton has an extensive management chain that leads causes upper decisions to be based on 3rd or 4th hand knowledge. Also, the blame game is very prevalent. Try to actually understand what events are going on in your areas of influence, and try to support improvements in a positive manner.

Good Opportunity

Current Employee - Inside Sales Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Eaton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company with good potential for career growth. Management likes for you work your current position for approximately two years. Then, assuming you have mastered it and done a good job, they will help advance your career. In my experience, this mentorship is somewhat rare. This is beat thing about working at Eaton.

Cons

This is a very political place. Keep your head down.

Solicit employee feedback! This is actionable market research data -- and it is free! Just reach out for it.

It is a beautiful building.

I have been working at Eaton

Pros

It is a beautiful building.

Cons

I would rather not say