Eaton

Updated November 18, 2014
3.6

Eaton CEO & Chairman Sandy Cutler
Sandy Cutler

Pros
  • Reasonable benefits, work life balance depending on team, reasonable compensation (in 46 reviews)

• Good benefits and room for professional growth (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance can become an issue in most departments because of understaffing (in 24 reviews)

• If employees are working such long hours they at least need time away with their families (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid Employment Opportunity

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Eaton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Out of the several companies I've worked for, Eaton has the best business practices and management team. The company is just over 100 years old and appears to be managed extremely well. I have no doubt I could work for this company for another 20 years and still find myself employed.

Cons

The processes in place are more conducive towards manufacturing and sales. This leaves less room for innovation, since the primary purpose of the company is to make money and not to tinker. Since I'm an engineer, this is less appealing since it often means that less interesting, sure money-making projects are chosen over those with a more innovative slant.

Another thing to consider is that Eaton is heavy on acquisitions, so your experience can differ depending on which site you actually work at. It really depends on the local management team and the product lines.

Your business processes are great, but engineering and innovate has faltered since there's not an alternative development pathway for projects with a greater risk profile.

HR Supervisor

Former Employee - Human Resources Supervisor in Arecibo, PR
    Former Employee - Human Resources Supervisor in Arecibo, PR

I worked at Eaton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent human resources philosophy and great benefits...almost similar to pharmaceuticals.

Cons

At the moment I worked, a small group in the HR department for the work we had. Right now, I understand they have the right number of employees.

Buyer

I worked at Eaton

Pros

Great benefits. Pay is good!

Cons

Lots of turnover in management.

Awesome

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Eaton as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Professional people, culture that expects professionalism. 401k is awesome. There can be pressure at times but most of the time the work is expected to be done and will accommodate for personal schedule as necessary.

Cons

Location is manufacturing environment so will be in places where land is cheap. There are a lot of community building events and the culture values health and fitness of employees.

Keep up the good work!

Fast paced, bureaucratic organization

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer

I worked at Eaton full-time

Pros

Life at Eaton is very fast paced, you will not get bored. Pay is competitive, benefits are excellent and the 401k contribution is good. Learning opportunities abound. Eaton gives lots of responsibility to engineers from the get go. This is a pro if you can handle it. Lots of opportunity to move up if you are successful and willing to relocate.

Cons

While good work is recognized, people skills are important at Eaton. The way you present yourself and your projects is the biggest factor in your success. You must be comfortable working under pressure.

Eaton has an extensive management chain that leads causes upper decisions to be based on 3rd or 4th hand knowledge. Also, the blame game is very prevalent. Try to actually understand what events are going on in your areas of influence, and try to support improvements in a positive manner.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Roxboro, NC
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Roxboro, NC

I have been working at Eaton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company has great benefits, great culture, and balances work/life for the most part. They definitely understand family emergencies and are fairly lenient. The ethics are much further beyond other companies i've worked for and they seem to really care about their employee's happiness. Great learning experience at this company and they do not babysit you but rather let you take leadership in your projects.

Cons

Bonuses are not always guaranteed since it's based on meeting goals for the year. This makes sense in some aspects, but it would be nice to be guaranteed some type of pay-out.

Just be sure to not pull employees in too many directions and different managers asking one employee to do a million things at once. Managers need to talk to each other a little more before making requests. Make requests through that person's boss.

It is a beautiful building.

I have been working at Eaton

Pros

It is a beautiful building.

Cons

I would rather not say

Growing Pains

Former Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Eaton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Quality leadership at the top, but it doesn't always make it down to the middle level managers. Doing some growing right now... but...

Cons

Typical blind run by the numbers company in many instances. Annual reviews are a joke at any large corporation where you are just a number. Growing, but not sure where the old Cooper companies fit in at the moment. Beware old Cooper employees!

Change your annual reviews to something more meaningful and actionable at the moment. Ever hear of the One Minute Manager? Read it!

Company with tremendous opportunities

I worked at Eaton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great product portfolio, very professional people, robust processes around talent management

Cons

Very bureaucratic, even for a large company. Difficult to get recommendations / decisions approved in a timely manner.

Great opportunities inside the company

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Eaton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, environment, benefits, room to learn and grow inside

Cons

Being a large company they will be always on the Manager side if there is any HR issue