Eaton Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Eaton Chairman & CEO Alexander M. Cutler
Alexander M. Cutler

Pros
  • Company tries to keep work-life balance (in 47 reviews)

• Good Benefits, but could be better (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Most staff lack adequate backup support; work life balance is talked about; not necessarily promoted (in 24 reviews)

• If employees are working such long hours they at least need time away with their families (in 10 reviews)

1. Good place to be if your sole desire is to offer time in exchange for a paycheck.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Eaton full-time

Pros

Good benefits, including 401k and health. Really lax work environment with flexible hours. Day can start at 7a, 9a so long as you do your due diligence and put in your hours and complete your work. Great place to work if you want a job with a paycheck.

Cons

Close to nothing to offer as far as development is concerned to strengthen your technical understanding. The knowledge you gain from experience is limited to what goes on "locally." If you are someone that comes to work to pay the bills, this is a great fit. If you are someone that is looking to become stronger in your field and be more competitive with those in a similar field, what you gain is SOLELY done on your own time. No training offered whatsoever. Everyone in management preaches the "be innovative, get stronger, gain technical knowledge" small talk, but do nothing to help support that. A lot of this is due to the pressure from marketing. They don't know anything about the electrical industry, and expect you to develop an entire product line in 4 weeks. This pressure results in every second available devoted to product launch, and none to development or capture lessons learned. Short story short. . . It's clock work, not a classroom. And there is a lot of politics. A LOT.

Advice to Management

Offer real training that actually makes a difference to those receiving it. There are many senior engineers that can offer advice on what can benefit them and junior engineers, especially if management does not have enough of an understanding to know what's beneficial. Less talk . . . more walk. Every industry is filled with standards, unfortunately not everyone can indulge on what's available until they're given the little bit of time and support needed to become stronger in their field.

2. Company is Changing & Seems Unclear about the Future

Former Employee - Vice President in Beachwood, OH
    Former Employee - Vice President in Beachwood, OH

I worked at Eaton (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people who collaborate and are very smart. Genuinely nice people.

Cons

Employees are frustrated with constant cost cutting. No sense of direction coming from management.

Advice to Management

Start communicating with employees more frequently.

3. Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sumter, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sumter, SC

I have been working at Eaton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities Decent benefits Many locations

Cons

Understaffed Slow to nonexistent expansion of professional head count even as business greatly increases

Advice to Management

Truly adhere to the policies and principles that you claim and expect your employees to adhere to.

5. Machine Tech Lifter

Pros

Work not hard and only 8 hours of work a day

Cons

Bad management and communication. Company is heading in the wrong direction.

6. Good Wages, bad ethics

Current Employee - Assembler in Auburn, IN
    Current Employee - Assembler in Auburn, IN

I have been working at Eaton (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is very competitive there. The also have great benefits. They give you a chance to move up in the company too. Some supervisors at my plant came from the floor.

Cons

They are a little lacking in ethics although they preach them a lot. I have witnessed favoritism and discrimination. Everyone is not treated the same even though they tell you that.

Advice to Management

Follow your own ethic policies and treat everyone the same. There is also micromanaging at my specific plant so you never know who is in charge of who.

7. Great People, Questionable Leadership

Pros

I worked in several locations and the one common theme is great people that give a lot for the company and the customers. The pay and benefits are solid.

Cons

Division level leadership can be ignorant about what really goes on in the plants but still feel that they have all the answers. This ideas might be solid but since they don't really know what is going on, they are often trying to push the wrong program at the wrong time then end up blaming the plant because the program did not yield the results they expected.

Advice to Management

Be more of a partner with the plants by painting a common vision for what you want to achieve so that the plants are allowed the opportunity to roll the programs out when they make the most sense and can provide the greatest benefit to the customers and shareholders.

Their way or the highway....

I have been working at Eaton full-time

Pros

They replied to my application.

Cons

I applied for a job with Eaton as a CSR. They got in touch with me a full month later. I studied the reviews here and was prepared with some probing questions. This company expects mandatory OT and shifts that vary. The gentleman who contacted me was a bit over eager to get me in to interview. I wanted some basic questions answered 1st so as not to waste either of our time. I am not willing to work mandatory OT. I would consider it if I was saving for something special. I also did not want shifts that would vary. My job of the last decade taught me an important lesson. Your family MUST come 1st. No job is worth putting your relationship with your family in jeopardy. He was unwilling to bend on this. To his credit, he was cordial and understood my point.

Advice to Management

Please realize that many employees seek work/life balance. Better employees are not willing to take anything you hand out with a smile. If you want top notch employees, you will need to be more flexible. BTW, the photo of your employees on your site spelling out "Eaton" with their company polo shirts looked like a small version of a North Korean People's rally! You may want to rethink that. (roll eyes)

9. company atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arden, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arden, NC

I have been working at Eaton full-time

Pros

Educational Benefits and the potential to earn extra income through overtime. Job security is ok, although lay offs due occur at any sign of economic slow down.

Cons

No work life balance and too much mandatory overtime. Atmosphere ( Management ) - new floor level supervisors are overly ambitious to move ahead creating a master/ slave atmosphere. Do not know how to work with multiple personalities.

10. Sales Manager

I worked at Eaton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very large org with many internal opp's

Cons

Focus on certain divisions within Eaton.

11. Good Co-op Experience

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Auburn, IN
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Auburn, IN

Pros

Paid well for co-op Engineering position. Rotation allowed exposure to several different areas. Experience in each area was considerably different and depended greatly on that specific manager.

Cons

Some rotation positions had little oversight, usually because they didn't have time. The company as a whole was understaffed and overworked, especially manufacturing engineers.

RSS Feed </> Embed