Eaton Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
3.5

Eaton CEO & Chairman Sandy Cutler
Sandy Cutler

Pros
  • Reasonable benefits, work life balance depending on team, reasonable compensation (in 46 reviews)

• Good benefits and room for professional growth (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance can become an issue in most departments because of understaffing (in 24 reviews)

• If employees are working such long hours they at least need time away with their families (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company straight out of college

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Eaton

Pros

Eaton offers great pay for newly grad

Cons

Travel and professional development can be challenging to get approved.

None

Ethical, opportunities, great experience

Current Employee - Controller
    Current Employee - Controller

I have been working at Eaton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eaton thrives on developing talent and moving you. I have moved 5 times in 10 years, without having to search for jobs. It is extreme on being ethical (good thing). Do not hire/fire very quickly and are methodical about those decisions. Sometimes to a fault. Excellent CEO with a vision. Stock price has done great in the past 10 years and communication has been wonderful from the top.

Cons

Benefits are average and getting worse. They state they are competitive with the market. Eaton is slow on innovation and spend money on exciting projects. Making profit is #1 at the expense of long term benefits. In finance, work/life balance is dismal.

If you really believe the employee survey is #1 then listen to it. I never see any real actions come out of the survey. Put people first.

Negative Work Environment

I have been working at Eaton full-time

Pros

Very ethical company, offers a strong benefit package.

Cons

Reactive vs. proactive approach to problem solving. Very demotivating work environment, limited growth opportunities and no room for creative thinking.

Very Pleasant

Former Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Eaton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company went the extra mile to do business right and had a great benefits package. My group was really great and worked well as a team.

Cons

Such a large company got stuck in red tape and bureaucracy which sometimes damaged (occasionally irreparably) their chances of success in certain ventures.

I suggest that the company learn where to be flexible for the sake of good business decisions.

interview

Current Employee - Researcher in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Researcher in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Eaton as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Eaton is a good company

Cons

work hard play hard challenging projects

Marketing Manager

I have been working at Eaton

Pros

Overall a good place to work, Management cares about the wellbeing of the employees. Smart energetic co-workers who truly care about the business. Many opportunities for continued education and professional development. High focus on Ethics, annual employee survey is taken seriously by all and results are acted on by senior management

Cons

Department silos hinder collaboration that should be happening. Slow decision making process, meeting culture, and too many layers.

Flatten the organization, Make the OCA process transparent.

Great Learning Experience! Very High Expectations on your time...

Current Employee - Strategic Sourcing Manager in Peachtree City, GA
    Current Employee - Strategic Sourcing Manager in Peachtree City, GA

I have been working at Eaton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I am in the Lighting division. Fast moving market with a lot of exposure to a broad range of issues. You learn a great deal every day. Benefits are good, promotions are tough to come by and you really have to direct your own career to get ahead. All training is on the job...

Cons

Can be a very a hostile environment. Not everyone pulls their own weight, but expectations are still for the work to get done. If you require recognition for your efforts beyond salary, not likely to be a good fit.

Hold upper management accountable to performance metrics and take action

Great potential but lacking the leadership to attain it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Eaton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent compensation. Not the best, not the worst.
    Great opportunities advance to new internal employment opportunities.
    Some good business processes as part of the Eaton Business System.
    If you are good at corporate politics this division can be a real winner for you!
    Decent training.
    Some great people in the trenches

Cons

Politics, politics, politics.
    Eaton ethics and values are excellent but not consistently practiced at Hydraulics.
    Consistently underperforming financials. The result is frequent cost-cutting and restructuring initiatives.
    Leadership is not progressive in their ideas. Seem to be stuck in the past. Lack a credible vision.
    Lost sight of work/life balance. Oftentimes difficult for families with children to meet demands. For a company this size, surprising lack of child care facilities and benefits.
    Way, way too many meetings and Powerpoint presentations. No time to get the work done except after eight to five.

Live the Eaton Vision and Ethics. It is more than a poster or slide in a presentation.
    Develop a plan to grow the business and you won't spend so much time and money on restructuring.
    Keep top and mid level managers in a role for more that two or three years. Get some continuity.
    Stop recycling top and mid level managers. Some consistently fall short of expectations yet always seem to have a new role -- politics, politics, politics.

Great company

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Eaton as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked in the office but I love how you can interact and learn the building part to it also.

Cons

To me there weren't any cons. I enjoyed working there. People were great, job wasn't overwhelming.

Keep Eaton Charlotte, there are a lot of great hardworking people there who loves Eaton. I met a man who was there for a long time and he said he wanted to retire no place else but Eaton. He sounded so proud. I've learned a lot in my days at Eaton.

Engineer

I worked at Eaton

Pros

Qualified people, goal oriented, good benefits.
    Many long timers within the company with positive inclusion of new green talent.

Cons

Organization has been tightening the belt for five years and continues to do so. Most staff lack adequate backup support; work life balance is talked about; not necessarily promoted. Good people with heavy workload makes it difficult to prove themselves.

New leadership appears less visionary; more likely to make decisions based on past/current quarter performance.