Eaton

Eaton Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Eaton CEO & Chairman Sandy Cutler

Sandy Cutler

Pros
  • Reasonable benefits, work life balance depending on team, reasonable compensation(in 41 reviews)

• The company offers opportunities for advancement, and will promote from within(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of Over-time is an expectation of employment, so work life balance is not supported(in 17 reviews)

• If employees are working such long hours they at least need time away with their families(in 10 reviews)

good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

Prospretty average, no real pros or cons

Consno real pros or cons

Good entry level professional development with a global manufacturer in operations engineering.

Operations Engineering (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat company focus on values and business processes. Good benefits and room for professional growth.

ConsBusinesses are generally understaffed, and you are asked to perform multiple jobs with no pay increase.

Solid employer for my early career

Sales (Former Employee) Highland, IL

Pros- Managers drive to support career development for those that want to move up
    - Good support from Upper Management on new products and upgrades
    - Office culture was good, most employees got along and worked well together

Cons- Lots of turnover
    - Work/Life Balance can become an issue in most departments because of understaffing
    - Financial pressures aren't driven to all departments (Ops vs Sales)

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on building the internal team rather than looking outside for upper management roles.
    Although the corporate pressures are high, celebrate employee accomplishments better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company is just staying where it is

Electrical Operations Engineer (Current Employee) Peachtree, GA

ProsGet plenty of time of. Standard 8 hour days. Managment is fairly good. My coworkers are great. For a sophomore in college they offer a pretty good salary, but no side benefits. Their internships are fairly nice.

ConsEaton's policies can be a little overboard. They seem to be too busy acquiring companies to actually grow their own company at a better pace.

Great Company

ProsThe industry is great. (Power drives the nation and the world. Eaton is at the forefront of power management and quality.) The people are dependable. The pay and benefits are highly competitive.

ConsEaton was founded by an accountant and that still drives most of the business policies. That can be infuriating at the end of the month when you have to ship everything, or how Q1 and Q4 activities are routinely shuddered despite million dollar surplus cash flow -- but Wall Street loves it.

Safety 1st, Just for image not truly Employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Beltsville, MD

ProsDecent Pay and referral bonuses are offered if you refer someone for an open position. A very Ethics and safety driven company.

ConsBenefits are Bad, and Work Life Balance doesn't exist. Management does not seem to value employees unless they get a little brown on their nose.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your employees they are more than a machine. To the site manager, he should try looking the employees in the eyes not look past or through them. They deserve that much!
    Promoting people into supervisory positions with out guidence that has never supervised a person in their life is a bad idea. Try training or mentoring with someone that is a good supervisor. There are only a couple at this site but you could utilize them before they either quit or retire. Most don't have any idea how to supervise with respect to get respect back. It's pretty bad.

I have learned a ton from Eaton.

Ops Technician (Current Employee) Parma, OH

ProsThe pay is great, but opportunities are limited.

ConsManagement does not listen to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within more rather than hiring outside of the company.

Great Company to Work For!

Project Manager (Former Employee) Arden, NC

ProsGood People, great training, global reach

ConsComplicated advancement, lots of office politics, compensation was, at best, only market rate, lots of acquisitions shaking up corporate structure

Advice to Senior ManagementSee through politics, find objective measures of ability, promote high performers

Bad Employees Rewarded / Hard Work Not Acknowledged

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Excellent Pay - higher than Competitors
    -Excellent Benefits
    -Branch Offices are Flexible

Cons-No Leadership - Only Managers who don't take the time to understand how to run a business
    -Promotion Opportunities are ONLY available to those in or accepted by the "Good-Old Boy" Network
    -Rewards Bad Employees with no discipline; If you are bad enough, they will offer you a PIP or allow you to leave with 6 months salary and 6 months insurance; Layoff of Good Employees only result in below average Severance Packages.
    -Review process puts everyone in the same rating which encourages bad employees to keep slacking off and good employees not to work so hard.
    -Disorganized Business Systems that resulting in lack of information available for employees to do their job

Advice to Senior ManagementStop putting Managers in positions that they aren't qualified for. Promote hard-working individuals that make an impact on increasing profits. Encourage Leadership and not Management. Eliminate unnecessary conference calls and travel. Redo review process and not make it the focal point of one's job. The main goal should be on customers and to increase revenue and I never saw this done with everyone getting tripped up in their own processed.

Great Employer

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Van Wert, OH

ProsGreat benefits, working conditions, leadership, and values!

ConsLocations are typically in very rural areas

Worked for Eaton? Contribute to the Community!