Eaton

Updated December 20, 2014
3.5

Eaton CEO & Chairman Sandy Cutler
Sandy Cutler

Pros
  • Reasonable benefits, work life balance depending on team, reasonable compensation (in 47 reviews)

• Good benefits and room for professional growth (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance can become an issue in most departments because of understaffing (in 24 reviews)

• If employees are working such long hours they at least need time away with their families (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Values & People

I worked at Eaton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked in their automotive division and had a great experience with the people and values of the corporation. They really focus on doing business right.

Cons

Because of its size, Eaton can be slow to change and policies don't always make sense for a given business unit. Sometimes hard to navigate across industries.

Good Opportunity

Current Employee - Inside Sales Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Eaton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company with good potential for career growth. Management likes for you work your current position for approximately two years. Then, assuming you have mastered it and done a good job, they will help advance your career. In my experience, this mentorship is somewhat rare. This is beat thing about working at Eaton.

Cons

This is a very political place. Keep your head down.

Solicit employee feedback! This is actionable market research data -- and it is free! Just reach out for it.

Great place and people. They had a job for me when I needed it most.

Former Employee - Receiving Clerk in Arden, NC
    Former Employee - Receiving Clerk in Arden, NC

I worked at Eaton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good people and above average wages. They move their people up within the company, before they go outside to fill a position.

Cons

Being a tool and Die maker I was outside my element. They didn't seem to consider my knowledge of mechanical design/drafting using CAD transferring to electrical CAD drafting.

Upper management should not refer to the plant employees as "peons". And when speaking about their plant people at least refer to them as employees, workers is sort of disrespectful.

Eaton is a big company you must try.

I have been working at Eaton

Pros

Big base salary for a fresh year graduate.

Cons

You want a challenge on field? try this.

HR Supervisor

Former Employee - Human Resources Supervisor in Arecibo, PR
    Former Employee - Human Resources Supervisor in Arecibo, PR

I worked at Eaton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent human resources philosophy and great benefits...almost similar to pharmaceuticals.

Cons

At the moment I worked, a small group in the HR department for the work we had. Right now, I understand they have the right number of employees.

Buyer

I worked at Eaton

Pros

Great benefits. Pay is good!

Cons

Lots of turnover in management.

It is a beautiful building.

I have been working at Eaton

Pros

It is a beautiful building.

Cons

I would rather not say

Solid Employment Opportunity

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Eaton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Out of the several companies I've worked for, Eaton has the best business practices and management team. The company is just over 100 years old and appears to be managed extremely well. I have no doubt I could work for this company for another 20 years and still find myself employed.

Cons

The processes in place are more conducive towards manufacturing and sales. This leaves less room for innovation, since the primary purpose of the company is to make money and not to tinker. Since I'm an engineer, this is less appealing since it often means that less interesting, sure money-making projects are chosen over those with a more innovative slant.

Another thing to consider is that Eaton is heavy on acquisitions, so your experience can differ depending on which site you actually work at. It really depends on the local management team and the product lines.

Your business processes are great, but engineering and innovate has faltered since there's not an alternative development pathway for projects with a greater risk profile.

Awesome

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Eaton as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Professional people, culture that expects professionalism. 401k is awesome. There can be pressure at times but most of the time the work is expected to be done and will accommodate for personal schedule as necessary.

Cons

Location is manufacturing environment so will be in places where land is cheap. There are a lot of community building events and the culture values health and fitness of employees.

Keep up the good work!

Workers are poorly treated

Current Employee - Lab Tech and Assembler in Arden, NC
    Current Employee - Lab Tech and Assembler in Arden, NC

I have been working at Eaton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay mostly but the benefits as a whole aren't bad, safety is treated as important but mismanaged until it becomes tedious BS

Cons

No advancement, managers play favorites, rules are unevenly enforced, office employees treated well but manufacturing employees are treated like property, poor Leadership and overall clueless management, They will change your job title responsibilities or pay without any notice, Safety is tactics are for show, Mandatory overtime is essential to their business plan be prepared to work 10 hr days 7 days a week, Workers are treated like children, No Training you are expected to just understand how they do stuff without any real instruction

Enforce the rules equally, Treat employees with respect, Hire more people and open more shifts so you don't have to force people to work 60+ hour weeks, Train your employees, EMPLOYEES ARE NOT PROPERTY, fair advancement and job placement, if you hire someone for a job then need to change them to another job you should give them choices and give them time to consider them not force them where you want them even when they turned that job down