Eaton

Eaton Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Eaton CEO & Chairman Sandy Cutler

Sandy Cutler

Pros
  • Reasonable benefits, work life balance depending on team, reasonable compensation (in 41 reviews)

• The company offers opportunities for advancement, and will promote from within (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance can become an issue in most departments because of understaffing (in 18 reviews)

• If employees are working such long hours they at least need time away with their families (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Professional, limited opportunity

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat corporate environment. Everyone is professional.

ConsLack of opportunity in some sectors. Some people get comfortable in their positons, don't perform.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

worked at Eaton for 3 years

Prosresources, opportunites, good poeple, many locations

Conslarge corporation, red tape, bureaucratic

Ick

Engineer (Current Employee) Pittsburg, CA

ProsVery little to write home about. This isn't a review you want to read. So much stuff they make you do to say they don't want you.

ConsThey are no good and I hate them. I wish I never event went to the interview. It was a wast of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being shitty

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of opportunity for development

ProsProcess driven, global company with a successful record of financial performance and strong growth through acquisitions. Many opportunities for career advancement, with mature talent management processes and good relocation policy. You will likely work with many very smart, driven, capable professionals, who will further contribute to your learning and development. Outstanding CEO.

ConsMany processes and requirements from large corporate structure can be burdensome for the businesses and plants, and sometimes you encounter people who execute processes for the sake of the process without considering the cost/benefit equation.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working on creating more diversity and inclusion in the workforce and management team.

Eaton Review

Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) Euclid, OH

ProsThe work was very interesting and I liked what I did.

ConsSome of the internal auditors weren't interested in improving production, but just making notches on their records.

Eaton/ Project Management

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsEaton has a very unique company culture that is unmatched. The work environment is very 'laxed and training is nontraditional. You get actual experience. The hire the people not the position, which makes a great difference. I feel very comfortable in the workplace, it's a business casual environment. You get to interview for promotions, rather than waiting to get one.

ConsWe sit often, that 's not great for your help, you also deal with several customers, distributors who all have several different personalities so you cannot allow your emotions to get involved with the job. Must stay with the company at least 1-2 year before being considered for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementI enjoyed the way that my particular managed runs our team, he allows things to happen as they should with training, and allows hands on experience, and allows his employees to work within their on own environment to do what is best and the most productive for them. Every manager doesn't have this style so they should be aware of micromanagement. Also more of an investment in internal promotion and making sure employees are aware of advancement opportunity.

One of the best companies I ever worked for

Buyer (Former Employee)

ProsSenior leadership was top notch. I was treated fairly and always felt like a valuable team contributor. I was offered an opportunity to move to Michigan, but felt that was not a good move for me.

ConsSome staff were not held as accountable as others.

Eaton is an outstanding company with many opportunities for professional growth.

AREA SALES MANAGER (Former Employee)

ProsFair compensation, encourages and supports personal development, many avenues for career advancement.

ConsInternal focus rather than customer focus. So big that the individual is an employee number. Must navigate the corporate politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementMargin matters, but satisfying customers should be a priority.

Good Company; a lot of politics

Finance Area (Former Employee) Beachwood, OH

ProsStable company, new HQ building is impressive, pay and benefits are in line with most middle ranges publicized.

ConsA lot of focus on surveys and addressing issues, but reality is that it creates busywork and an avenue to use things against anyone who is not the boss' favorite. Brown-nosers get advanced over good workers. People in management positions are not necessarily good at managing people.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to who leaves. Good people walk out the door because one manager has an issue with someone, while many others think the person is great. I saw this over and over while I was there. I left due to relocation.

Good company, but currently letting short term financial gains get in the way

ProsThe core company values are excellent. As is Sandy Cutler's Message. Customers are the focus of everything we do; strong ethical values; quality matters. It also has good systems and tools to help drive improvements.

ConsToo financially focused, causing core values to get lost in translation as the pressure continues to hit numbers regardless of the cost to the customer or employee.

Expects too many hours. Lots of Over-time is an expectation of employment, so work life balance is not supported. Vacation policies are out dated. Can't go from 3 to 4 weeks until after 15 years. If employees are working such long hours they at least need time away with their families.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange 4wk vac policy to 8 yrs, then 5wk at 15years. Consider a sabbatical program like Intel (6wks paid time off every 7years).
    Hire when growth is expected, so customer intimacy and quality isn't compromised by over worked employees
    Focus on the customer relationship and profit instead of only looking at Top Line Sales

Worked for Eaton? Contribute to the Community!