Eaton

Updated December 20, 2014
3.5

Eaton CEO & Chairman Sandy Cutler
Sandy Cutler

Pros
  • Reasonable benefits, work life balance depending on team, reasonable compensation (in 47 reviews)

• Good benefits and room for professional growth (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance can become an issue in most departments because of understaffing (in 24 reviews)

• If employees are working such long hours they at least need time away with their families (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

wouldn't recommend for a friend

I have been working at Eaton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

nothing to mention in this part

Cons

low salaries compared to other competetors, unfriendly working enviroment, difficult to get support within the company.

Senior/Sales Technical Rep.

Former Employee - Senior/Sales Technical Representative in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Senior/Sales Technical Representative in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Eaton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best Co-workers ever. My best friends many I consider brothers and sisters. I compare the work environment to the Old TV show "Mash" . Everyone works long hours, has enormous workloads and has very high stress, you have to trust your co-workers for support and too often comfort.

Cons

My perception was there are 12 VP s measuring one worker's output. many in leadership positions have no idea about the product, how it works, what the applications are or even how to quote. Quality though gets talked about never seems to have real corrective action. My second perception is the Eaton culture puts profits before people. Net salaries decreased year after year as company paid benefits were rolled back onto the employee's salary. And as for diversity again they talk the talk but fail in the real. The Tobacco Free policy was what ended my 26 year career.

Company going down

I worked at Eaton full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits
    Opportunities to advance career

Cons

Unfair labor practices. Expect 60 hours per week if your function is not well supported.
    Work-life balance at both extremes, depending on your boss or department

Sandy Cutler, CEO, knows Wall Street, but the organization has layers which are not providing stability and reliability. They seem to coerce performance out of dead horses by changing roles of higher managers.. My plant manager was fired a month after I quit, I quit because he did not support me. My functional manager had to be political and aligned with plant manager, knowing his lack of support. Facility performance imploded.

A huge and proportionally egotistic corporation

Current Employee - Software Developer in Roztoky, Central Bohemian (Czech Republic)

I have been working at Eaton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Big and strong company, apparently no financial problems. Good opportunities for engineers in R&D.

Cons

In my field (SW development), the company is very inexperienced. It's like working in a garage company, but with all the corporate administrative and management BS applied. The company doesn't however accept that it could do anything wrong, it worships its processes and rules and doesn't take care about its employees. Employees are just cogwheels in a machine. Pushing through even the simplest improvement takes extraordinarily long, involving people who have absolutely nothing to say about the subject yet having the power to turn the thing down just on a whim.

In R&D, your biggest asset is technical staff. Value your employees and take good care of them before they leave because of frustration. The CTO once told us: "I hate mediocrity. We want the best people here." My reply to that is that if you want the best people, you need to treat them accordingly; otherwise they'll find a better job. And if you think it's not a problem, that you'll just find new cogwheels, think again.

Misleading

Current Employee - Assembly Technician in Greenwood, SC
    Current Employee - Assembly Technician in Greenwood, SC

I have been working at Eaton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Steady Work, Great Fellow Workers

Cons

Management does'nt listen to employees.
    Alot of favortism and "Good ole Boy" practices.
    Plant Manager is only seen once a month along with HR Manager.
    HR is one sided
    Unrealistic forecasts which makes for alot of over time 10hrs a day 6-7 days a week for months.
    Promotions are based on who you know or if you belong to a clique.
    Ethics and Policies are only enforced when it benefits Management Not Employees.
    No room for advancement.
    Employees thoughts, ideas and complaints are ignored as if they don't know anything.
    People who are placed in Management, Lead, Quality positions have no idea about the product.
    Employee appraisals are unfair.
    Management evaluations are designed to make them look good.
    Management does'nt care about employees or family life.
    Upper Management are the only ones rewarded for a good job or meeting a set goal.
    All of Management from Plant Manager down needs to be replaced.
    Everything that the employees enjoy about this plant is taken away.
    Pay increases are not fair.

Take advice from employees who are doing the work, working all the overtime. And putting up with all of the nonsense.

mixed experience at Eaton

I worked at Eaton full-time

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

More emphasis on the bottom line rather that their employees - most employees have too much work and are not appreciated for the great work they do.

Company not employee oriented or focused - Hire more People oriented managers - mine was the worst - didn't know our job and was not a people person

Bureaucracy addled, slow moving, old school corporation

Former Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Eaton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Compensation very competitive
    - Rarely more than 40 hours a week
    - Friendly, family values atmosphere

Cons

- Good luck moving up
    - Politics, politics, politics
    - Getting projects approved is painful and cumbersome
    - Major projects frequently miss deadlines, budget.
    - Tons of contractors

Until you learn how to cut some of this red tape, you're gonna have trouble attracting young employees.

Former Employee - Project Lead in Moon Township, PA
    Former Employee - Project Lead in Moon Township, PA

I worked at Eaton full-time

Pros

The salaries are pretty competitive to other industries. There is opportunity to grow with the company if you are willing to move to all over the country.

Cons

"Good Old Boy Network" is alive and well at Eaton. The company boasts that it is ethical, but fires employees who are whistleblowers. The company is not suited for women with families and people who are family oriented. All employees know that business comes first. If upper management likes you, you can get away with a lot.

Be a better employer to women with families.

Not a good company to start

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I worked at Eaton part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good learning opportunity, great work-life balance

Cons

No proper HR processes, managers are arrogant and think too much of themselves, present employees vent out their dissatisfaction, no competitive environment and people are more concerned to go home.. Too informal culture

The project which I was told at the beginning was vastly different from what I did; so preparation was rendered useless.

Get processes right and hire from Tier 1/2 B - schools and not Tier 5/6 B - Schools.

Nothing but an innovation center

Current Employee - Electronic Engineer in Roztoky, Liberec (Czech Republic)
    Current Employee - Electronic Engineer in Roztoky, Liberec (Czech Republic)

I have been working at Eaton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly local and foreign engineers, good infrastructure and equipment, good atmosphere at work and no stress

Cons

Company located in the middle of nowhere, not an innovation center but an outsourced support center for other real Eaton engineering centers, lot of politic and company brainwashes, employees productivity is measured by an attendance machine, no real canteen...

Don't make engineer believe that they'll do innovation here