Eaton Vance Reviews

Updated March 29, 2015
37 reviews filtered by
3.5
Eaton Vance Chairman and CEO Tom Faust Jr.
Tom Faust Jr.

1. Great place to work

Former Employee - Project Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Eaton Vance

Pros

Great Benefits and work environment

Cons

Management can be too hands off

2. If it stays the same I'll never leave

I have been working at Eaton Vance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is second to none. No matter what level you are your opinion matters and there are no egos wth upper management. Plenty of exposure to all parts of the company. Your experience at EV is what you make of it!

Cons

If there is some aspect of the company to complain about then I haven't come across it yet. Hopefully I never will.

Continue to maintain the current culture and provide any guidance / career advice to younger employees. Encourage everyone to take advantage of aspects of EV that are not offered other places and to get involved with various company events, charities, etc as it is a FANTASTIC way to network here.

3. Concerned employee

I have been working at Eaton Vance

Pros

Nice building next to harbor.

Cons

The quality of work is below average and that doesn't seem to concern anyone around here. I suspect the lack of ability to recruit talent is a major factor. I would not recommend EV products to anyone as I don't believe the fees correlate with the quality of service or performance. This is a strange place.

5. Great place to work

Former Employee - Mutual Funds Services Representative
    Former Employee - Mutual Funds Services Representative

I worked at Eaton Vance

Pros

Excellent culture, high ethics, great benefits. The talent level in all departments is very high. Many subject matter experts

Cons

It is very hard to get promoted or move into a larger role in under 5 years. Career progression takes a very long time. Pay in non revenue generating teams is bleow industry average

Work on career development

Poor Ethics

I worked at Eaton Vance

Pros

Safe job due to overall incompetence in management and everywhere else. Traffic is dependent on wholesalers and they have a ton of those running around. I'm guessing middle Americans are so overwhelmed by their distribution.

Cons

Delusional place. They really like to hang their hats on this little piece of trivia for being the "best performing stock over the last 25 year period." Every time that got sent around the company we'd all take a minute to get a good laugh out.

Fees are not commensurate with performance. The lackadaisical oversight is comedic. Due diligence guys were pushovers.

Can't do much but please stop telling employees EV is the "best performing stock over the last 25 year period."

7. Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Eaton Vance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Culture - The company has a great culture. It really has a small company feel. They treat employees very well. There is a reason why people stay.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. I worked at EV for almost 10 years and felt I was always treated fairly. Senior management is connected to the employees. It is not uncommon to have face time with even the CEO.

Keep up the good work.

Expertise, what expertise?

I worked at Eaton Vance

Pros

There are a couple babies in the bathwater but it's 99.99% bathwater.

Cons

Well I'll say this if you ever needed to be reminded that most "professionals" don't actually know more than the average investor then this is a great place to figure that out. Think dart throwing monkeys or a random walk. Also, your 401K selection is limited to EV funds so that pretty much nullifies any employer matching benefit. My recommendation would be to avoid this place unless you think you can use it to transition to bigger and better things although be warned few have ever heard of EV. I plan on keeping my retirement and brokerage account investments far, far away from these people. I can only hope and pray that BlackRock, Fidelity and Vanguard are nothing like this place or may god help us all as our life expectancy continues to increase. (Bonus unsolicited advice I would stay away from the floating rate fund if I were you).

Senior management infighting is pretty pathetic as almost all of them are below average which now makes total sense now that I think about it. As for the CEO, I had somewhat high expectations considering he's an MIT engineer... fortunately it's true there is facetime and good thing because my expectations quickly evaporated when I realized how disconnected and untechnical he came across in conversation. I'm interested to see how his career defining moment of creating the ETMF unfolds.

9. Ok, but just another dime a dozen internal wholesaler position in Boston

Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Boston, MA

I have been working at Eaton Vance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great office, easy hours and decent pay

Cons

to formal of a work environment. Management makes you wear a suit to work every day for a phone job.

Little to no growth opportunities; rarely do people get promoted to the external role and the ones that do get put in territories like WV.

Management will constantly look over your shoulder. A highly micromanaged work environment.

10. Outstanding company with a philosophy that cares about employees.

Former Contractor - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Former Contractor - Marketing in Boston, MA

I worked at Eaton Vance as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Company philosophy places great emphasis on employee participation. Employees are encouraged to share ideas on ways to improve communications and processes. There was a pervasive sense of trust that made it a pleasure to show up each day.

Cons

Like anywhere, your contribution typically depended on where you fit within the power structure. And despite claims to be progressive in their marketing efforts, large organizations like Eaton Vance are susceptible to conservative thinking.

Keep employees in mind whenever making sweeping business decisions.

11. Great company with a stable platform that likes to promote from within where possible.

I worked at Eaton Vance full-time

Pros

Great long term prospects for entry level employees and strong benefits, especially as far as saving for retirement.

Cons

While a very nice place, the 2 International Place is a bit out of the way compared to other Boston office complexes.