Ebates

Add Photos

Kevin Johnson

Great Place to work

ProsNew amazing location in San Francisco
    Fun team open to new ideas and improvements
    Opportunity for motivated individuals to move up in the company

ConsSome regular holiday times are busy and employees must work on big online shopping days
    Lots of growing pains seems like there are tons of things to work on but limited time to do things

Advice to Senior ManagementI know we are growing the company right now but I think we either need to hire some people to handle more work coming up or we have to pull back some with pushing all the features all the time. I think not having Project Managers also is strange since Product Managers are not allowed to just focus on providing requirements and engineering has nobody to manage releases and workload.

Lots of opportunity, and things are looking up.

San Francisco, CA

ProsPassionate, hard-working people. Some people think Ebates is a scam, but its a legit company that really does pay its members and believes in making the whole online shopping experience more rewarding for consumers and businesses. Simple and sweet business model. Its a growing company with an increasing international presence and lots of opportunities. Its cool to be part of a company that feels like its going places. Beautiful new offices that are very conveniently located. Lots of effort being made to have more fun around the office. Nice commuting allowance.

ConsThe company is pretty lean in terms of staff, which means everyone works really hard and hours can be long at times. Compensation is fair, but could be better, especially as the company grows and becomes more successful. Communication/information sharing is always criticized at companies, but I do feel the management team makes an effort.

Toxic environment that makes you puke until you quit.

Executive (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThey pay you, as job should. That is the only pro I can think of right now.

ConsThe "supposed" leader of this company does not understand how to lead, inspire, anything. He stands in his little tiny office, walking on his treadmill and doesn't interact with anyone. Its like no one outside of his exec team exists to him. I truly regret joining this company and will find a way out.

He constantly takes teams away from underneath other groups, and level of responsibilities are not shared accordingly. People quit and are not replaced.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful in every way

Marketing (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe core product is great. It's fun to market.

ConsI’m not sure I possess the vocabulary to properly articulate how terrible it is to work at Ebates. Everyone who works there is so miserable & it permeates every interaction, meeting, and effort made by this company. The CEO hires his friends, who are as chauvinistic as he is, if not more. Women are treated terrible with great regularity. It was a standard that everyone seemed to accept. As a younger female, I was harassed by 3 executives during my 2+ years there. Women aren’t the only ones treated badly. New members of the company are required to sign and dance in front of the entire company their first week. The executive team seems to take great pleasure in watching new employees embarrass themselves. It’s really awful to watch.

The CMO is one of the most awful managers I have ever had the displeasure of working for. He gives nasty, unconstructive feedback, and regularly singles our members of his team to pick on publicly. After I gave my notice he made sure to make my final two weeks miserable. I had to meet with HR 2-3 times in my last week just so I could finish transitioning my workload accordingly. He also tried to cheat his team out of their bonuses. Also, our yearly goals were given to us in July my first year, and November my second year. So we have less time to achieve our goals for any year.

Occasionally there are forced social opportunities. I say forced because if you want to work instead of attending you will be charged PTO. Speaking of PTO, don’t expect any time off over the holidays. In fact, prepare to work on Thanksgiving. Taking PTO was always a fight

Also, the pay is terrible and the benefits are subpar. They occasionally do free lunches for everyone, but they pinch on budget so frequently that the options are to 1. run to the kitchen as soon as the food is there or 2. only eat whatever rice/pasta/ carb filler was least popular. It’s a faux perk at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people their MBOs in Q1, offer decent salaries, respect your employees, cease tolerating disgusting harassment.

A good old boys' club, where money and status are king.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking in the affiliate marketing arena is interesting. Helping shoppers get their big fat rebate checks is a good marketing hook.

A few good entry-level jobs are available, if you're single with no kids.

ConsForget breaking into management if you're a woman. In fact, forget applying for a management role if you haven't worked with the CEO or one of his cronies elsewhere.

Work-life balance doesn't exist. You can't take a real vacation (more than a couple of days) for most of the year, because there's always an "urgent" project in the works. You get sick or, even worse, your kids get sick? Prepare for an onslaught of misery. Family isn't valued.

There is no such thing as professional development.

Promote from within? Not really. Seems like they prefer to hire from outside.

Only key executives are allowed to make decisions. If you can't stand to be micro-managed, RUN.

The pay is not on par with other similar companies. There is a bonus plan (MBO), but they take forever to give you your goals. Three quarters of the year are gone before you're informed what they might be, which means they can engineer the results. Benefits are average.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to trust your employees.

Get some diversity in your management team.

Great product, but unpleasant culture, no great perks - truly hated worked here.

(Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsAt it's core, Ebates is a great product. Nothing groundbreaking - just excellent affiliate marketing. The CEO seems to have a lot of intrinsic leadership skills, however, he does have the ability to fix all of the so much, but seems to choose not to. Loved my transportation stipend.

ConsI spent over 2 years at Ebates and observed the following:

1. These reviews speaking to an excellent culture are likely fake - Ebates recently hired a contractor to make it appear a more pleasant place to work

2. Want to work here? Hope you enjoy some good, old fashioned hazing! You will be required to sing in front of the entire company your first week. These days you can bake something instead, however, the main objective is clearly to embarrass new employees. It's painful to participate in and painful to watch a new coworker, likely trying to gain their footing at a new place, struggle.

3. Try not to be a woman. I've experiences awful behavior from male VPs on several occasions. Whether a comment encouraging me to make my hair more blonde, or a comment on my pants, this became the norm during my tenure at Ebates. I actually do not believe any these comments were made with any malicious or inappropriate intention, they sure did make me feel uncomfortable.

4. Don't get sick. Seriously - no sick days. Couple that with a great open format office and things get passed around quickly. To be fair, they are quite flexible when people need to work from home.

5. People get really stressed and nasty during the holiday season. Maybe this is the case across ecommerce, but it something that the exec team could easily combat if they wanted.

6. Last year we got our MBOs in November. Yes. NOVEMBER.

7. Compensation is not competitive. Very little opportunity for career growth.

I hope Ebates great success and there is no malicious intent in this review, I would have wanted to know about these experiences before joining Ebates.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop condoning bad behavior, ask your employees for feedback, deliver MBOs on time, stop forcing new employees to sing - try welcoming them in a friendly manner.

Like high school all over again

(Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsPretty easy job and laid back work environment. Ability to telecommute at times.

ConsRequired to sing and dance like a monkey as a new employee in front of everyone during the weekly Friday company meeting. High turnover rate and low pay. High school like work environment, a lot of cliques. Questionable or down right shady business practice of not transitioning contract workers over to a FT employee after the 90 day trial period and just stringing them along longer as a contract employee. For instance, the majority of the people in the accounting department.

On a side note, there appears to be a good amount of "suspect" positive reviews that all showed up in the span of two days of each other, odd given how there are only about 100 employees at Ebates.

A cutting edge start up with a warm family feel

San Francisco, CA

ProsIf you like collaborating with smart people to solve interesting and unique challenges, then you will find a good home here. The work ethic is dedicated yet balanced and the staff is a diverse mix.

With a presence in a growing number of international markets and products rolling out on a broad spectrum of devices, there is a lot happening all the time. This is a consumer focused firm where everyone understands that the highest value comes from pleasing the customer.

ConsGrowing fast and working fast means that communications can get crossed. New folks being hired all the time means that there is a great deal of "learning as you go".

Advice to Senior ManagementNever stop putting the customer first.

Ebates.com rocks !!

Database Architect (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsNice group of creative thinking people, excellent products, great work/life balance! One of the best places to work in the bay area! Apart from competitive salary package, some other perks include free lunches on Wednesdays, Friday beer bash, reimbursement of parking garage monthly fees, etc!

ConsMove to a bigger office space?

Ebates is growing rapidly; great environment and plentiful opportunities for pro-active employees

Director (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsEbates' growth is accelerating rapidly. Market opportunities for the business are strong, and the company is well-poised to succeed on numerous fronts. With this growth and expansion, there is ample opportunity for pro-active employees to contribute and take on new responsibilities. Ebates is very data-centric, and business decisions are driven by metrics... not impulses or personal preferences. There is a culture of accountability and support. Compensation and benefits are above average - the company is generous with core and fringe benefits. Great office location. Intelligent and friendly employees.

ConsAs an e-commerce business, Ebates activities are driven by market developments and needs. As such, priorities can shift and evolve with short notice, but this is not uncommon to the industry nor specific to Ebates. Less a "con," this is just a reality of the business, and it requires all employees to be nimble, flexible, and accommodating.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to balance the need to evolve with the necessity to maintain (and grow) key business performance.

Worked for Ebates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ebates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ebates CEO Kevin Johnson. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Ebates employees.