Ebates Reviews

1. Good place to work

Former Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ebates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is growing fast and there was lots of room to grow my career. CEO shares news on what is going on. Good teamwork and easy going culture.

Cons

Company events always seem to revolve around alcohol. It was hard to feel included if I didn't want to party. Releases more buggy than they should be.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating

2. It's ok

I worked at Ebates

Pros

The office is nice and in a good location. There are some really great and interesting people that work here.

Cons

Management interaction with employees is lacking. Support and direction from higher ups is non existent.

Advice to Management

Communicate

3. Work Culture and Management

I have been working at Ebates

Pros

Good work life balance. Not so much workload. Product Managers are good and comes with really good requirement.

Cons

Everyone is given director of engineering title in the engineering team, but they would do developer's work. At the same time they like to behave like directors and don't do work.

Advice to Management

Should hire more junior people to work on rather than giving big titles. Should know how to retain good employees and get rid of nonworking employee.

Not For The Ambitious & Determined

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Ebates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The main core product is stable and has natural growth, as long as more and more people start and continue to shop online. There really has been no realistic competitor with enough capital to challenge this company because of their foothold in the industry for so many years. This allows the company to offer great health benefits, yearly bonuses, a stable job, and good perks. Many people at the company feel they are really something special simply because the company provides a backbone for their success to go unchallenged. The company is able to lure in some cases talented management from other companies through large compensation packages and probably good stock options. The business operations of the company are handled really well in terms of business internals (HR, payroll, benefits, bonus disbursement ).

Cons

Our startup was bought by this company and our culture was turned upside down. Immediately politics played a role and we had a project ripped out from us and outsourced to India; this company is big on sending stuff to India. This company is definitely not a tech company and will make technical decisions that will literally affect revenue of a product negatively based on assumptions and no fact. This company has old-school technical operations in terms of IT and server management. There are jobs that exist at this company that have been phased out by cloud services and hosted SaaS solutions. The IT operations has a strong foothold that will affect the productivity of a developer. The developer at this company can be compared to the importance of a developer at a digital marketing agency, expandable and having no say in anything that is done. Most of the people that have a foothold in the upper structure of this company were buddies at other companies and qualifications do not seem to matter. This company has a major problem with communication between management. Countless projects have been cancelled or pivoted simply because management could not come to a conclusion on anything. The likelihood of this company having another successful product that has the ability to contribute a reasonable amount of revenue to the main revenue stream is very low and highly unlikely. The process of building a product here is non-existent. Like most companies this company is in the situation having a dominant product because of timing and no-competition starting out. The core product has natural growth which is attributed to more and more people shopping online. If you are an older developer looking to have a stable supporting job this is the place for you; if you are hungry for gratification and really think you can make a unique new product or disrupt something do not join this company. The biggest threat to this company was Bing's cash back program which was dissolved. If a company with a large amount of capital and enough business and technical smarts were to challenge this company it could have a major impact.

Advice to Management

Cut the fat, the wheel does not need to constantly be re-invented. Inferior technologies were constantly being developed from scratch. If you have a war chest of funds use them effectively. Set deadlines for managers to make decisions; hold them accountable. Limit the amount of managers having a say-so in decision making. Learn processes and understand why a strict process is very important. You're in SF and have the funds, instead of having developers with no knowledge in certain technologies spend endless amounts of time researching something and making uncertain assumptions get with consultants who are masters at those technologies give advice. Get rid of the check collectors. Get people who really love what they do and can execute in reasonable amount of time.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ebates full-time

Pros

New amazing location in San Francisco
    Fun team open to new ideas and improvements
    Opportunity for motivated individuals to move up in the company

Cons

Some regular holiday times are busy and employees must work on big online shopping days
    Lots of growing pains seems like there are tons of things to work on but limited time to do things

Advice to Management

I know we are growing the company right now but I think we either need to hire some people to handle more work coming up or we have to pull back some with pushing all the features all the time. I think not having Project Managers also is strange since Product Managers are not allowed to just focus on providing requirements and engineering has nobody to manage releases and workload.

Lots of opportunity, and things are looking up.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ebates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate, hard-working people. Some people think Ebates is a scam, but its a legit company that really does pay its members and believes in making the whole online shopping experience more rewarding for consumers and businesses. Simple and sweet business model. Its a growing company with an increasing international presence and lots of opportunities. Its cool to be part of a company that feels like its going places. Beautiful new offices that are very conveniently located. Lots of effort being made to have more fun around the office. Nice commuting allowance.

Cons

The company is pretty lean in terms of staff, which means everyone works really hard and hours can be long at times. Compensation is fair, but could be better, especially as the company grows and becomes more successful. Communication/information sharing is always criticized at companies, but I do feel the management team makes an effort.

Toxic environment that makes you puke until you quit.

Current Employee - Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ebates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay you, as job should. That is the only pro I can think of right now.

Cons

The "supposed" leader of this company does not understand how to lead, inspire, anything. He stands in his little tiny office, walking on his treadmill and doesn't interact with anyone. Its like no one outside of his exec team exists to him. I truly regret joining this company and will find a way out.

He constantly takes teams away from underneath other groups, and level of responsibilities are not shared accordingly. People quit and are not replaced.

Awful in every way

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ebates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The core product is great. It's fun to market.

Cons

I’m not sure I possess the vocabulary to properly articulate how terrible it is to work at Ebates. Everyone who works there is so miserable & it permeates every interaction, meeting, and effort made by this company. The CEO hires his friends, who are as chauvinistic as he is, if not more. Women are treated terrible with great regularity. It was a standard that everyone seemed to accept. As a younger female, I was harassed by 3 executives during my 2+ years there. Women aren’t the only ones treated badly. New members of the company are required to sign and dance in front of the entire company their first week. The executive team seems to take great pleasure in watching new employees embarrass themselves. It’s really awful to watch.

The CMO is one of the most awful managers I have ever had the displeasure of working for. He gives nasty, unconstructive feedback, and regularly singles our members of his team to pick on publicly. After I gave my notice he made sure to make my final two weeks miserable. I had to meet with HR 2-3 times in my last week just so I could finish transitioning my workload accordingly. He also tried to cheat his team out of their bonuses. Also, our yearly goals were given to us in July my first year, and November my second year. So we have less time to achieve our goals for any year.

Occasionally there are forced social opportunities. I say forced because if you want to work instead of attending you will be charged PTO. Speaking of PTO, don’t expect any time off over the holidays. In fact, prepare to work on Thanksgiving. Taking PTO was always a fight

Also, the pay is terrible and the benefits are subpar. They occasionally do free lunches for everyone, but they pinch on budget so frequently that the options are to 1. run to the kitchen as soon as the food is there or 2. only eat whatever rice/pasta/ carb filler was least popular. It’s a faux perk at best.

Advice to Management

Give people their MBOs in Q1, offer decent salaries, respect your employees, cease tolerating disgusting harassment.

A good old boys' club, where money and status are king.

I worked at Ebates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the affiliate marketing arena is interesting. Helping shoppers get their big fat rebate checks is a good marketing hook.

A few good entry-level jobs are available, if you're single with no kids.

Cons

Forget breaking into management if you're a woman. In fact, forget applying for a management role if you haven't worked with the CEO or one of his cronies elsewhere.

Work-life balance doesn't exist. You can't take a real vacation (more than a couple of days) for most of the year, because there's always an "urgent" project in the works. You get sick or, even worse, your kids get sick? Prepare for an onslaught of misery. Family isn't valued.

There is no such thing as professional development.

Promote from within? Not really. Seems like they prefer to hire from outside.

Only key executives are allowed to make decisions. If you can't stand to be micro-managed, RUN.

The pay is not on par with other similar companies. There is a bonus plan (MBO), but they take forever to give you your goals. Three quarters of the year are gone before you're informed what they might be, which means they can engineer the results. Benefits are average.

Advice to Management

Learn to trust your employees.

Get some diversity in your management team.

Great product, but unpleasant culture, no great perks - truly hated worked here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ebates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At it's core, Ebates is a great product. Nothing groundbreaking - just excellent affiliate marketing. The CEO seems to have a lot of intrinsic leadership skills, however, he does have the ability to fix all of the so much, but seems to choose not to. Loved my transportation stipend.

Cons

I spent over 2 years at Ebates and observed the following:

1. These reviews speaking to an excellent culture are likely fake - Ebates recently hired a contractor to make it appear a more pleasant place to work

2. Want to work here? Hope you enjoy some good, old fashioned hazing! You will be required to sing in front of the entire company your first week. These days you can bake something instead, however, the main objective is clearly to embarrass new employees. It's painful to participate in and painful to watch a new coworker, likely trying to gain their footing at a new place, struggle.

3. Try not to be a woman. I've experiences awful behavior from male VPs on several occasions. Whether a comment encouraging me to make my hair more blonde, or a comment on my pants, this became the norm during my tenure at Ebates. I actually do not believe any these comments were made with any malicious or inappropriate intention, they sure did make me feel uncomfortable.

4. Don't get sick. Seriously - no sick days. Couple that with a great open format office and things get passed around quickly. To be fair, they are quite flexible when people need to work from home.

5. People get really stressed and nasty during the holiday season. Maybe this is the case across ecommerce, but it something that the exec team could easily combat if they wanted.

6. Last year we got our MBOs in November. Yes. NOVEMBER.

7. Compensation is not competitive. Very little opportunity for career growth.

I hope Ebates great success and there is no malicious intent in this review, I would have wanted to know about these experiences before joining Ebates.

Advice to Management

Stop condoning bad behavior, ask your employees for feedback, deliver MBOs on time, stop forcing new employees to sing - try welcoming them in a friendly manner.

Ebates Photos