Ebix

Ebix Reviews

Updated Mar 20, 2014

Ebix Chairman, President, and CEO Robin Raina

Robin Raina

Pros:
  • "work life balance, good working environment and culture"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "And it doesn't include the Senior Management listed on their website"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Work life balance will be screwed"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Nosedive in product quality and morale following acquisition

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ebix full-time

ProsLiterally none. I can say you'll appreciate your next job a lot more if you spend some time here first.

ConsThis could take all day. For the love of humanity, steer far away from this sinking ship. Unapproachable, downright hostile upper management and HR department. Whatever the problem may be, rest assured that the employees are to blame. HR tours the office regularly to make sure people are at their desks hard at work- time your bathroom breaks accordingly. Avoid late lunches if at all possible. No pay raises or performance reviews ever. Unstable future and no job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like human beings. Even the most faithful of employees are disrespected and have little incentive to continue at the company.

Not a great company for employees

Technical Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ebix full-time for more than 8 years

ProsProcess oriented company with great potential to grow

ConsLot of red tape. Arrogant and stingy senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave to listen to employees concerns once in a while

No forward progress.

I have been working at Ebix full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMost of the day to day interactions with coworkers are good.

ConsNo annual OR merit based raises
No job growth
CEO must approve every expense...even basic needs for a software company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more quality people
Keep the quality people you already have
Don't sacrifice basic needs for profit margin

Has total 1 yr exp with this company, in that Working in USA for last 5 months.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Dover, NH

I have been working at Ebix full-time for more than a year

ProsOntime Salary credit
Good leave management.

ConsHR dept is very bad there will be no response from them. We have to follow up them regularly.
Medical health insurance is very costly.

I didn't have a lot of prospects, but this was the best, minus furthering career goals.

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee)
Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Ebix full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, not overly stressful, good base pay. I was sad to leave the people. The workload is very manageable and no work after hours.

ConsCustomer base, career movement, slow support. A fair number of the people we helped were grumpy and needy and were not willing to think for themselves. There isn't a lot of advancement, and product support doesn't translate we'll to other jobs. Development was not invested in and the product (and therefore everything in the company) suffered because of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTechs can help train users and report bugs, but without more programmers, it is impossible to actually improve quality of the product and continue new developments.

So much wasted potential...

I have been working at Ebix full-time

ProsVery difficult to think of any.

Cons- Overall sense that leadership does not care about their employees
- Lack of formal performance review program
- Extremely difficult for anyone to receive a pay increase, even top-tier performers
- No opportunities for training/development. The company does not offer tuition reimbursement and will not pay for any training that may help you to better perform in your role.
- HR seems more concerned about monitoring employees' work schedules (professional employees, mind you), "teaching them a lesson" and carrying out the personal whims of specific executives than it is about actually attempting to improve the dismal level of morale, or representing and supporting employee interests.
- Shady (at best) if not downright unscrupulous business practices

All of the above factors lead to truly good employees leaving the organization (which apparently does not concern leadership one bit since the typical response is something equivalent to "don't let the door hit you on your way out"). When this occurs, the vacant position is often not back filled, which means the remaining employees take on more work - of course, without additional pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest HR obtain employee feedback via a survey but I have absolutely no reason to believe they would do anything with the responses except make excuses and blame the employees themselves.

It's ok

I have been working at Ebix

ProsUnfortunately, I don't really have a lot of pros. The location of the building is great, can walk around and there are a lot of restaurants to choose from. So that's great.

ConsThe benefits are abysmal, no flexibility, systems are archaic and not necessarily user friendly. This is the first place where I worked where you don't get the tools you need to do your job properly, and it can be frustrating. Not to mention, the company does not have any perks for their employees, no tuition reimbursement, no certification reimbursements, no room for growth (no promotional opportunities) and no raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the employees if you want them to stick around.

When Ebix bought our company, it all went downhill!

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Ebix full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe products from the former company that they bought were A+ until Ebix stopped all improvements, fixes and upgrades.

Cons* Ebix doesn't do performance reviews and we all concluded that it's so they don't have to give any type of salary increase from year to year. My salary stayed the same for 3 years.
* Everything - down to signing off on paper towel - is approved by the CEO. Systems for ordering things, getting any type of resource is bogged down as a result. The CEO seems to have a control issue.
* Travel approvals (airfare, hotel, etc.) had to go through 5 people before accepted.
* Absolutely no strategic direction - company is constantly reacting - never directing their activities in advance - except of course for their acquisitions which I assume someone knows about in advance.
* Company is really not directed by doing a good job and being the best in an industry - seems only to be directed by stock price and thus gobbling up companies.
* There's no effort to integrate new companies when they join Ebix's portfolio - as a result, there is a lot of redundancy and wasted efforts.
* All 3rd party work is done by the Ebix employees "offshore" in India - their skills are definitely lacking, there is no accountability and it's no wonder that a lot of US companies are going elsewhere if they are any indication of the work force.
* Ebix does not invest in any upgrades, improvements or fixes for products that they buy when they've acquired new companies.
* The place is totally disorganized - there's no accoutability and good employees are dismissed without so much as a goodbye.
* This HR department is definitely not an advocate for anyone but the company - it's the most unfriendly group of people in this capacity that I've met.
* You definitely feel like a commodity as an employee. If you disagree, don't like something, etc., the feeling is "they'll just get someone else to do the job". I guess that works in a 3rd world country of a billion people.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house - top down.

Lots of potential in the industry

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Park City, UT

I have been working at Ebix full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEasy going atmosphere in the workplace, great benefits

Conssalary scale is below the market average

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp employees feel like they are part of something

OK in the Short Term

I have been working at Ebix full-time

ProsFriendly coworkers
Flex-time at local office
Relaxed dress code
Free parking
Gym membership reimbursement up to $200 per year
Average paid time off, but you get an increase in vacation days after only two years

ConsLow pay
No annual salary increases or financial incentives for a job well done
Mediocre retirement plan
Little to no chance of career growth within the company
Most positions cannot work remotely, even on a part-time basis

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging details and start doing some long-term planning. Invest in training and team building within the company. Turnover is high and will get even higher as the job market opens up unless you pay more attention to employee satisfaction.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Ebix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ebix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ebix CEO Robin Raina. All 63 reviews posted anonymously by Ebix employees.