Ebix

Ebix Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Ebix Chairman, President, and CEO Robin Raina

Robin Raina

Pros
  • Company Culture is adequetly balanced with work - life balance (in 3 reviews)

• work life balance, good working environment and culture (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain Work/Life Balance (in 5 reviews)

• And it doesn't include the Senior Management listed on their website (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

not bad for what it was

Sales (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat people to work with. Robin is easy to work with once you realize what he is about.
    Decent pay.

Consmy immediate boss was poor
    sometimes felt there was no focus
    very little room for growth.
    Office politics seems more important than moving the company forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementA quote comes to mind: If both of us agree all the time one of us isnt necessary"

Such potential being wasted

ProsThere are some really great, extremely talented people working here.

ConsMorale is low as employees feel unappreciated and in the dark regarding the company vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your investment!

Beware- Employees leave Ebix due to poor management, lack of career growth opportunities, and low compensation.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsOne of the pros of working with Ebix is that there are some truly talented employees. Unfortunately, most of them are with the company through acquisitions Ebix makes and they end up leaving once they realize that working for Ebix means that there is no longer room for career growth, raises, etc.

ConsExecutives and people in leadership roles are incapable of making decisions or presenting a clear direction for the company- much less all of the divisions and products that fall under Ebix. The company is constantly making acquisitions but never spends money on R&D, proper staffing, or Marketing. This leads to a lot of frustration internally and an extremely high turnover rate. Also, the office culture in Sandy Springs is terrible. Employees are forced to 'sign in' and 'sign out' like Kindergarteners and management is more focused on whether you are sitting at your desk (god forbid you go to lunch or the bathroom!) than they are about whether you are getting work done and meeting/exceeding your goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementNurture the talent that you have instead of constantly hiring from the outside. Hire better leadership. Have better communication with employees regarding the status of the company, earnings, new products rolling out, etc. Everyone is always in the dark unless a press release is issued. Spend money on R&D & hire more people for product development. The current product offering across the board is stagnant and needs a refresh. Hire more people in Marketing & a VP of Marketing to lead them. There are literally 3 people working in Marketing which makes absolutely NO sense for a company the size of Ebix.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Like working in a sausage factory

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are some true industry experts working on the front lines and that makes for some great collaborative opportunities. The work atmosphere is laid back in terms of casual dress, and occasional fun and games to take your mind off the grind.

ConsHighly centralized management and decision-making leaves most of the company virtually paralyzed. Senior management rules through fear and intimidation. Some senior managers are in over their head because several acquisitions quickly took the company beyond their capabilities. Expense controls rule above and beyond all else, even to the point of harming productivity, products, and client relationships. Very short term quarter-to-quarter thinking is apparent. Nepotism is alive and well.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some humility to accept that you outgrew your capabilities and need to bring in more professional expertise from the outside, in addition to trusting your front-line employees to do the right thing.

Enjoyable work experience

Office (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWorking with this company for over a decade, I have learned tons from the industry. I have also developed a great working relationship with current and former employees. The atmosphere is very laid back and fun and the benefits are great!

ConsCompany needs a little more room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is always key!

Strong Company Positioned To Change How Technology Works in the Insurance and Health Markets

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsDynamic opportunities to work on cutting edge technology for clients who make up the worlds largest insurance/health and financial players. If you want it, any opportunity is there for you. You need to have the skills and the energy to get after it. Great benefits package and one of the only companies I have worked for who actually know about the benefits they provide and are always looking at ways to enhance them and keep the costs down.

ConsCompany is spread out which makes communications internally a challange.

Customers - Run for the hills! Are you getting the feeling that Ebix is pulling a ponzi scheme? Go with your gut.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI'll get back to you on this...

ConsVery secretive management. Only Raina and his close circle know anything about whats happening with the company. And it doesn't include the Senior Management listed on their website. Being investigated by several governmental bodies, and for good reason. Goldman pulled out of it's acquisition after doing due diligence. Customers are slowly figuring out that its' all a house of cards on a windy day.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou do not instill trust

Very Average company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood learning via client tasks, job security

ConsNegligible Salary, No Growth, Poor work culture, Micro Managed, CEO's motive- sell the company at any cost and make hundreds of millions more

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees some growth rather than just the CEO and his close aides (via stocks and bonuses). Respect people and help them grow by introducing sponsored learning programs and help them grow within. Hiring big shots via press releases won't help as proven. HR Head should think and introduce efficient processes rather think about cost cutting always (like their CEO does). Think like IBM's and Oracles of the world if you want to become like them.

A Sales Person's Nightmare

Sales (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWork with some great people, but they all eventually leave.

ConsProduct development is non-existent. There is no development road map. Product updates are reactionary and fail due to lack of technical resources. Sales people have to sell poor systems. Customer service & support is extremely understaffed.

Sales people will have their commission withheld because CEO "feels like it" and commission plans change mid-stream only to avoid having to pay commission to those lucky enough to close deals. The good sales people leave and the bad sales people stay.

New client system implementations frequently fail. When customer cancel their contract, commission is also cancelled.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize this is a software company and not just a stock-play.

A Unique Company

Director (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsBenefits were OK. The existing customer base has a lot of opportunity.

Cons- No budget is provided to departments.
    - Acquired companies are used as basically "run-off" business and no additional investment is provided for growth.
    - Cannot get approval for salary increases for great resources let alone others.
    - Sales compensation is taken away without discussion.
    - The CEO and VP of HR basically run every decision in the entire company. There is no upper management to run the product and tech vision of the company as a whole or any other corporate vision.
    - Communication between departments is weak.
    - Providing HR with constructive criticism upsets HR instead of helping them change the corporate culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the poor performance of the stock, why is the board not looking to replace the CEO? This company needs new upper management, corporate restructuring with an actual management team and consolidation.

Worked for Ebix? Contribute to the Community!