Ebix Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Nosedive in product quality and morale following acquisition

I worked at Ebix full-time

Pros

Literally none. I can say you'll appreciate your next job a lot more if you spend some time here first.

Cons

This could take all day. For the love of humanity, steer far away from this sinking ship. Unapproachable, downright hostile upper management and HR department. Whatever the problem may be, rest assured that the employees are to blame. HR tours the office regularly to make sure people are at their desks hard at work- time your bathroom breaks accordingly. Avoid late lunches if at all possible. No pay raises or performance reviews ever. Unstable future and no job security.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings. Even the most faithful of employees are disrespected and have little incentive to continue at the company.

2. Not a great company for employees

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ebix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Process oriented company with great potential to grow

Cons

Lot of red tape. Arrogant and stingy senior management.

Advice to Management

Have to listen to employees concerns once in a while

No forward progress.

I have been working at Ebix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the day to day interactions with coworkers are good.

Cons

No annual OR merit based raises
    No job growth
    CEO must approve every expense...even basic needs for a software company.

Advice to Management

Hire more quality people
    Keep the quality people you already have
    Don't sacrifice basic needs for profit margin

5. Has total 1 yr exp with this company, in that Working in USA for last 5 months.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dover, NH

I have been working at Ebix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ontime Salary credit
    Good leave management.

Cons

HR dept is very bad there will be no response from them. We have to follow up them regularly.
    Medical health insurance is very costly.

6. I didn't have a lot of prospects, but this was the best, minus furthering career goals.

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Ebix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, not overly stressful, good base pay. I was sad to leave the people. The workload is very manageable and no work after hours.

Cons

Customer base, career movement, slow support. A fair number of the people we helped were grumpy and needy and were not willing to think for themselves. There isn't a lot of advancement, and product support doesn't translate we'll to other jobs. Development was not invested in and the product (and therefore everything in the company) suffered because of it.

Advice to Management

Techs can help train users and report bugs, but without more programmers, it is impossible to actually improve quality of the product and continue new developments.

7. So much wasted potential...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ebix full-time

Pros

Very difficult to think of any.

Cons

- Overall sense that leadership does not care about their employees
    - Lack of formal performance review program
    - Extremely difficult for anyone to receive a pay increase, even top-tier performers
    - No opportunities for training/development. The company does not offer tuition reimbursement and will not pay for any training that may help you to better perform in your role.
    - HR seems more concerned about monitoring employees' work schedules (professional employees, mind you), "teaching them a lesson" and carrying out the personal whims of specific executives than it is about actually attempting to improve the dismal level of morale, or representing and supporting employee interests.
    - Shady (at best) if not downright unscrupulous business practices

All of the above factors lead to truly good employees leaving the organization (which apparently does not concern leadership one bit since the typical response is something equivalent to "don't let the door hit you on your way out"). When this occurs, the vacant position is often not back filled, which means the remaining employees take on more work - of course, without additional pay.

Advice to Management

I would suggest HR obtain employee feedback via a survey but I have absolutely no reason to believe they would do anything with the responses except make excuses and blame the employees themselves.

8. It's ok

I have been working at Ebix

Pros

Unfortunately, I don't really have a lot of pros. The location of the building is great, can walk around and there are a lot of restaurants to choose from. So that's great.

Cons

The benefits are abysmal, no flexibility, systems are archaic and not necessarily user friendly. This is the first place where I worked where you don't get the tools you need to do your job properly, and it can be frustrating. Not to mention, the company does not have any perks for their employees, no tuition reimbursement, no certification reimbursements, no room for growth (no promotional opportunities) and no raises.

Advice to Management

Invest in the employees if you want them to stick around.

When Ebix bought our company, it all went downhill!

Former Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ebix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The products from the former company that they bought were A+ until Ebix stopped all improvements, fixes and upgrades.

Cons

* Ebix doesn't do performance reviews and we all concluded that it's so they don't have to give any type of salary increase from year to year. My salary stayed the same for 3 years.
    * Everything - down to signing off on paper towel - is approved by the CEO. Systems for ordering things, getting any type of resource is bogged down as a result. The CEO seems to have a control issue.
    * Travel approvals (airfare, hotel, etc.) had to go through 5 people before accepted.
    * Absolutely no strategic direction - company is constantly reacting - never directing their activities in advance - except of course for their acquisitions which I assume someone knows about in advance.
    * Company is really not directed by doing a good job and being the best in an industry - seems only to be directed by stock price and thus gobbling up companies.
    * There's no effort to integrate new companies when they join Ebix's portfolio - as a result, there is a lot of redundancy and wasted efforts.
    * All 3rd party work is done by the Ebix employees "offshore" in India - their skills are definitely lacking, there is no accountability and it's no wonder that a lot of US companies are going elsewhere if they are any indication of the work force.
    * Ebix does not invest in any upgrades, improvements or fixes for products that they buy when they've acquired new companies.
    * The place is totally disorganized - there's no accoutability and good employees are dismissed without so much as a goodbye.
    * This HR department is definitely not an advocate for anyone but the company - it's the most unfriendly group of people in this capacity that I've met.
    * You definitely feel like a commodity as an employee. If you disagree, don't like something, etc., the feeling is "they'll just get someone else to do the job". I guess that works in a 3rd world country of a billion people.

Advice to Management

Clean house - top down.

10. Lots of potential in the industry

Current Employee - Project Manager in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Park City, UT

I have been working at Ebix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Easy going atmosphere in the workplace, great benefits

Cons

salary scale is below the market average

Advice to Management

Help employees feel like they are part of something

11. OK in the Short Term

I have been working at Ebix full-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers
    Flex-time at local office
    Relaxed dress code
    Free parking
    Gym membership reimbursement up to $200 per year
    Average paid time off, but you get an increase in vacation days after only two years

Cons

Low pay
    No annual salary increases or financial incentives for a job well done
    Mediocre retirement plan
    Little to no chance of career growth within the company
    Most positions cannot work remotely, even on a part-time basis

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging details and start doing some long-term planning. Invest in training and team building within the company. Turnover is high and will get even higher as the job market opens up unless you pay more attention to employee satisfaction.

RSS Feed </> Embed