Echelon Corporation Reviews

14 reviews filtered by
2.4
Echelon Corporation Chairman & CEO Ron Sege
Ron Sege

1. Great during the startup and early success, now struggling to re-define itself. New management in the last 4 years.

I worked at Echelon Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interested in hiring good people. Appears to be transitioning back into "start-up" mode but with sufficient money in the bank to pay the bills for several years. For a small organization, they are well known in the embedded smart device market. Could be a big thing in the IIoT market if they execute on all market, sales, and design goals.

New management has done a strategic 180 in the last 12 months. The good thing is most the top level directors and executives in sales and marketing are new (last 6 months) and have fresh eyes.

Cons

Very few people in the company have market expertise in the core market they are re-entering after 8 years of chasing the grid business they recently sold off. So getting a strategy in place could be a challenge. I'm hoping they will be successful.

Compensation model may have declined recently per friends I still have there (second hand info).

Advice to Management

Stock prices hovering around $2 and change provides an inexpensive accounting method to provide stock options to employees to attract and retain top-notch people.

2. Automation Development Lead

Former Employee - California in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - California in San Jose, CA

I worked at Echelon Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, nice offices, Friday parties

Cons

Mismanaged, low morale, bad performance

Advice to Management

CEO you can't manage a Silicon Valley company with the fiscal mentality. Stop milking the company and quit.

3. RUN!!! Turn the other way.

Current Employee - Support in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Support in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Echelon Corporation full-time

Pros

hmmm..............decent pay and work life balance. Management just doesn't care anymore what you do.

Cons

Where do I start? Terrible management.....the company has 1 more year of life left.

Very Boring work environment.
    Looks like employees are not even trying anymore.

Moral with all the lay offs is very low.

Advice to Management

Quit.

5. desperately seeking vision

I worked at Echelon Corporation

Pros

laid-back atmosphere, good company benefits, private offices for everyone

Cons

it's an engineer-heavy company that needs more marketing leadership and vision. the company spends a ton of money developing technologies that typically fizzle. if you want a job in SV, you can do much better.

Good people, bad CEO, even worse Board

Former Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Echelon Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people who want to produce good products. Unfortunately, years of bad management has beaten down everyone's spirits and motivation. Engineering has always delivered and marketing has always failed this company.

Cons

With the exception of constant cost and personnel cutting to maintain cash, the CEO has done nothing but create negative value for the company and yet the Board continues to pay him way too much and in fact keep him employed. In my view this is actionable by the investors. If they get rid of the CEO then it becomes their problem and the board just doesn't care enough.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves. (Review wrongly says "approves of CEO" - I definitely do not, Glassdor interface won't let me change that - bug)

7. Changing Tides

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Echelon Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people committed to quality and the customer experience. Flexible schedule and interesting work

Cons

No raises, lackluster upper management leadership which doesn't relay pertinent information. No support for professional development.

Advice to Management

Keep lines of communication open and foster more of an environment for professional growth

8. PERMANENT

Current Contractor - Order Administrative in San Jose, CA
    Current Contractor - Order Administrative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Echelon Corporation as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I did like what am doing herea and my team are all great and helpfull, the office are very nice and the commute was not far from home, I can also pick my own hour and easy to adjust.

Cons

I been working here for about over a year and am still a temp, I just stress of not being full time since a been here long enough to be a permanent employee? and also they are not paying good rate?

Advice to Management

My Manager was excellent , the upper management are the one holding me from being permanent?

9. Mediocre company, badly managed

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Echelon Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leaders at one time but badly need new products

Cons

Old products, lagging technology, bad management

10. Overall General Review

I worked at Echelon Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good technology, good people, flexible work schedules

Cons

No focus on strategy, lost a lot of great technical developers because of no understanding by business management of the technology, many long-timers just biding their time until it is sold or goes under.

Advice to Management

Focus and get a better understanding of your business space.

11. Just enough potential to keep you hoping

I have been working at Echelon Corporation full-time

Pros

Good people, lots of inter-department cooperation (at least within engineering), and occupies a somewhat unique position in its industry that would allow it to become a break out star if leveraged properly. Fantastic facilities and offices, though far too many of them empty at the moment.

Cons

R&D spread too thin, both in terms of projects and staffing. Has a tendency to start "the next big thing" when an opportunity presents itself and then back-burner it when the next one comes along. Not enough market research; starts projects before certain there's a sufficient demand. Feels like there's no real sense of focus.

Advice to Management

See: cons. Your employees may be capable of handling many projects concurrently, but by scattering focus and adding the overhead of jumping between projects, you guarantee that nothing will be better than it can minimally be. With too much attention set on clearing resources for the other/next project, you end up with a scheduling culture that's constantly asking "what can we get get fixed before the deadline," instead of, "what can we ADD before the deadline."