Echelon Corporation

Updated November 13, 2014
2.6

Echelon Corporation Chairman & CEO Ron Sege
Ron Sege

Great during the startup and early success, now struggling to re-define itself. New management in the last 4 years.

I worked at Echelon Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interested in hiring good people. Appears to be transitioning back into "start-up" mode but with sufficient money in the bank to pay the bills for several years. For a small organization, they are well known in the embedded smart device market. Could be a big thing in the IIoT market if they execute on all market, sales, and design goals.

New management has done a strategic 180 in the last 12 months. The good thing is most the top level directors and executives in sales and marketing are new (last 6 months) and have fresh eyes.

Cons

Very few people in the company have market expertise in the core market they are re-entering after 8 years of chasing the grid business they recently sold off. So getting a strategy in place could be a challenge. I'm hoping they will be successful.

Compensation model may have declined recently per friends I still have there (second hand info).

Stock prices hovering around $2 and change provides an inexpensive accounting method to provide stock options to employees to attract and retain top-notch people.

Good people, bad CEO, even worse Board

Former Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Echelon Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people who want to produce good products. Unfortunately, years of bad management has beaten down everyone's spirits and motivation. Engineering has always delivered and marketing has always failed this company.

Cons

With the exception of constant cost and personnel cutting to maintain cash, the CEO has done nothing but create negative value for the company and yet the Board continues to pay him way too much and in fact keep him employed. In my view this is actionable by the investors. If they get rid of the CEO then it becomes their problem and the board just doesn't care enough.

Fire yourselves. (Review wrongly says "approves of CEO" - I definitely do not, Glassdor interface won't let me change that - bug)

Changing Tides

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Echelon Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people committed to quality and the customer experience. Flexible schedule and interesting work

Cons

No raises, lackluster upper management leadership which doesn't relay pertinent information. No support for professional development.

Keep lines of communication open and foster more of an environment for professional growth

PERMANENT

Current Employee - Order Administrative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Order Administrative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Echelon Corporation as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I did like what am doing herea and my team are all great and helpfull, the office are very nice and the commute was not far from home, I can also pick my own hour and easy to adjust.

Cons

I been working here for about over a year and am still a temp, I just stress of not being full time since a been here long enough to be a permanent employee? and also they are not paying good rate?

My Manager was excellent , the upper management are the one holding me from being permanent?

Mediocre company, badly managed

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Echelon Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leaders at one time but badly need new products

Cons

Old products, lagging technology, bad management

Overall General Review

I worked at Echelon Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good technology, good people, flexible work schedules

Cons

No focus on strategy, lost a lot of great technical developers because of no understanding by business management of the technology, many long-timers just biding their time until it is sold or goes under.

Focus and get a better understanding of your business space.

Just enough potential to keep you hoping

I have been working at Echelon Corporation full-time

Pros

Good people, lots of inter-department cooperation (at least within engineering), and occupies a somewhat unique position in its industry that would allow it to become a break out star if leveraged properly. Fantastic facilities and offices, though far too many of them empty at the moment.

Cons

R&D spread too thin, both in terms of projects and staffing. Has a tendency to start "the next big thing" when an opportunity presents itself and then back-burner it when the next one comes along. Not enough market research; starts projects before certain there's a sufficient demand. Feels like there's no real sense of focus.

See: cons. Your employees may be capable of handling many projects concurrently, but by scattering focus and adding the overhead of jumping between projects, you guarantee that nothing will be better than it can minimally be. With too much attention set on clearing resources for the other/next project, you end up with a scheduling culture that's constantly asking "what can we get get fixed before the deadline," instead of, "what can we ADD before the deadline."

Great people, cost cutting has affected morale

I worked at Echelon Corporation

Pros

Top notch engineers who have been with the company for the longest time, nice group of people, great technology. Even though the company is small and not very well known, I am proud to have been part of their engineering team.

Cons

Inability of upper management to turn Echelon's great technology into a profit. New CEO too focused on cost cutting, we had a layoff early this year that seemed to have impacted morale, people started leaving, those left behind were left with increasing work load.

Don't be so focused on short term goal of pleasing Wall St, think about the long run, including better benefits (e.g. 401K matching, ESPP) for the employees.

People there take their work very seriously, but the culture tends to be conservative.

I worked at Echelon Corporation

Pros

A leading and growing company in smart metering solutions and smart grid communication solutions. They have globally proven and most advanced Power Line Communication based smart metering solution.

Cons

The company tends to maintain a lean organization. Therefore, for some functions, there is not enough staff and existing staff have to multitask frequently.

Echelon will be gone (acquired or split up) in two years or less.

I have been working at Echelon Corporation

Pros

Nice facilities with hard offices. High salaries and stock awards for managers. Occasionally produces interesting technology. Has some very nice people and some very highly skilled developers.

Cons

Consistently unprofitable, starting to run low on cash.
    Conservative business strategy allowed competitors to pass it by.
    Strategy and Marketing have been abysmal.

Insist that all managers actully do yearly performance reviews, rather than saying "what's the point, there is never any growth or promotions". Insist that Marketing and the CTO back some products that actually sell. Be ready to move on in a year or two.