Echo Global Logistics

Updated March 3, 2015
Updated March 3, 2015

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard (in 20 reviews)

• kickball team on thursdays, softball team on tuesdays, beer fridays and happy hours regularly (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Sweeping changes in benefits and commission structure were made without warning (in 13 reviews)

• I wasn't 100% prepared when I hit the floor after training (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

66 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Overall - good

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Good people, fun atmosphere, nice amenities

Cons

Lots of pressure, too many analytics on they out on you for the small things / day to day and not overall

What brought me there was because they said they didn't micro-manage but its becoming more and more that way. Look at overall performance.

A unique challenge

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code
    Young work environment
    Located right next to Cabrini Green
    Low salary teaches you good budgeting
    Unique culture

Cons

Let's start with the hours. I hope you enjoy early mornings because the mandatory start time is 630am. At around 640am the megaphones come out and those who are late are berated in front of their peers by management. There is no defined end time for this role either. I like to relate it to high school; your teacher will tell you when you can leave. Unique to most companies Fridays are actually the longest day of the week at Echo. Management takes privy to making the entire floor stay late on Fridays regardless if there is no work left to be done. It's a very interesting management philosophy to say the least.

As for compensation... Don't expect much. With roughly a 300% increase in department size in the past year commission is harder to come by. Management does do a good job showcasing the select few individuals that have stuck with the company and make decent money. However, don't expect to make more than $35,000 your first year. Keep in mind management has just slashed compensation on the customer side by roughly 20-25% so that first year salary figure may decrease.

At the end of the day you need to come into this job with low expectations. Carrier reps are regarded as glorified truck dispatchers and are at the bottom of the totem pole at Echo. If logistics is an industry that interests you I would recommend pursuing the client sales side. The hours are much more relaxed and the perks are much better (craft beers vs warm miller lite, team outings vs Friday night lock ins, etc.)

Keep doing what you're doing. Investors are getting great end over end results and the hire rate has been high enough to offset the burn out rate. Just be careful with over hiring. Low salary helps hedge the risk but it's important to scale your growth.

Thankful for the experience

Former Employee - Learning and Development in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Learning and Development in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A young, energetic culture; a well-designed workplace environment in a nice work building (same one as Groupon); constant growth and change

Cons

Young managers; egos; not a lot of growth opportunity; male-dominated industry; poor salary

getting better, keep pushing yourself to be better to your people and try harder to retain the good ones.

Echo Global Logistics Response

Jan 13, 2015Talent Sourcing Specialist

Your feedback is appreciated. Here at Echo, we know that “Better is the Only Option” (one of our core values) and will keep striving to cultivate a balanced and fair work environment for all ... More

Echo is a results driven company. You can make money if you work hard and get lucky

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Hard work can pay off
    -Easy to transfer positions

Cons

-Often micromanaged
    -High stress customer relationship management

I do not recommend after a 12 month experience in carrier sales.

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learning and practicing the skill of negotiation. Understanding the transportation industry and how the supply chain functions. Company bus for commute before and after work.

Cons

I do not want to repeat myself. A lot of the Cons can be understood in a different section below. See "Advice to Management"....

Consistently practice being a professional and lead by example. Be transparent with your team. Meet with your team and individuals regularly, it will benefit everyone including you, management. Understand what is going on with your team as a whole and each contributing member, i.e.- morale, business successes and struggles/opportunities/improvements etc. (see previous sentence). Do not use disrespectful, elementary language to individuals regardless of situation or industry. Hone your skills and develop Rookies into All Stars. Stay positive. Take lunch away from your desk. Look from the outside in; be the manager you want to see leading. Keep an open mind and be willing to change if necessary. The hours of work expected out of each person ....including mandatory Saturdays.....does not seem healthy, my advice is to rethink this expectation.

Echo Global Logistics Response

Dec 15, 2014Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for the feedback and taking the time to write a review. Happy to hear you gained new skills and knowledge during your time with us. Your advice is appreciated; we developed and launched a ... More

Good company, industry can be frustrating

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good atmosphere, good training program, they offer a lot of good benefits and everyone is there to help you.

Cons

all cold calling and don't make commission until after a year and a half most likely. Management contradicts themselves sometimes, these reasons are why a lot of people leave.

My experience at Echo Global was great the company does a lot of fun activities and has a relaxed work environment .

Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus that you get for meeting your goal, the building that you work in shows the appreciation for the employees that work there, You can state your opinion and actually get to be involved in making a process better.

Cons

Previous managers were not involved in each employee that they managed, they never took the time out to really see what was going on, they would listen to certain people and make judgements. A current supervisor would discuss management decisions about other employees with her friends which was very inappropriate. Supervisor would not lead my example when it came to breaks & lunches- time abused.

It would be great to have a relationship with each employee that the manger is in charge of. Everyone should have an equal amount of work instead of letting some employees get away with doing less than is expected. One rule for all, either you work at home or you come to the office- some should not be granted work at home all of the time when others are expected to be at the office. Have a complained box so that upper management can know what's going on in other departments.

Churn and burn factory

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Echo has a very young atmosphere. It is also very casual as far as dress which I prefer. It is nice not having to dress up every day like I work in a bank or something.

Cons

Echo is basically a churn and burn factory. 70% of the people they employ are straight out of college seeking to move to Chicago from various places in the Midwest. Mostly Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin. These kids know to apply at Echo because it's fast and easy to get a job. Echo never gives raises and has horrible retirement benefits so it's in no one's interest to stay long term.

Pay people what they are worth. Have your salaries more in line with the other 3PLs (i.e. CH, Coyote, etc) and maybe you wouldn't have the turn over that you do.

If you want to see people have careers and not just jobs you need to up your retirement contributions. .5% is a joke.

Also your insurance plans are too expensive. I can't imagine having to cover a family under it. It would literally be my whole paycheck.

Dissatisfied

Current Employee - Client Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun Work environment
    Central location
    Young office atmosphere

Cons

terrible commission structure, favoritism, unprofessionalism, competitive price driven market, difficult customer base to work with.

Management needs to set a better base with the expectations they have on employees. This is a stressful job in an unreliable industry. We are expected to close accounts, manage accounts, track our shipments, do all of our accounting and service our customers like they are our only ones all while making 35,000 a yr. The work environment is fun but the blatant favoritism of certain reps whom have not worked hard enough to earn the accounts that have been handed to them without anything to do with the sell-close process is so flagrant; all of your employees know who deserves to be rewarded for their hard work and who are given accounts they did not earn nor deserve

This job is not for everyone and most people quit w/ in 6 months or stay for the long haul.

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Young, fun employees and beer Fridays are perks.

Cons

You will be working 55-65 hours per week. 11 hrs M-Thurs, 12 Hrs on Friday and 12 Saturday shifts per year at 8 hours per shift. There is absolutely no work-life balance. 401K plan is the worst I have ever seen.

Management can be rude and unprofessional. We have to be there for about 60 hours per week so lets keep it fun.

Echo Global Logistics Photos