Echo Global Logistics

Updated November 10, 2014
3.3

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard (in 20 reviews)

• kickball team on thursdays, softball team on tuesdays, beer fridays and happy hours regularly (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Sweeping changes in benefits and commission structure were made without warning (in 13 reviews)

• I wasn't 100% prepared when I hit the floor after training (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

62 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My experience at Echo Global was great the company does a lot of fun activities and has a relaxed work environment .

Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus that you get for meeting your goal, the building that you work in shows the appreciation for the employees that work there, You can state your opinion and actually get to be involved in making a process better.

Cons

Previous managers were not involved in each employee that they managed, they never took the time out to really see what was going on, they would listen to certain people and make judgements. A current supervisor would discuss management decisions about other employees with her friends which was very inappropriate. Supervisor would not lead my example when it came to breaks & lunches- time abused.

It would be great to have a relationship with each employee that the manger is in charge of. Everyone should have an equal amount of work instead of letting some employees get away with doing less than is expected. One rule for all, either you work at home or you come to the office- some should not be granted work at home all of the time when others are expected to be at the office. Have a complained box so that upper management can know what's going on in other departments.

I do not recommend after a 12 month experience in carrier sales.

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learning and practicing the skill of negotiation. Understanding the transportation industry and how the supply chain functions. Company bus for commute before and after work.

Cons

I do not want to repeat myself. A lot of the Cons can be understood in a different section below. See "Advice to Management"....

Consistently practice being a professional and lead by example. Be transparent with your team. Meet with your team and individuals regularly, it will benefit everyone including you, management. Understand what is going on with your team as a whole and each contributing member, i.e.- morale, business successes and struggles/opportunities/improvements etc. (see previous sentence). Do not use disrespectful, elementary language to individuals regardless of situation or industry. Hone your skills and develop Rookies into All Stars. Stay positive. Take lunch away from your desk. Look from the outside in; be the manager you want to see leading. Keep an open mind and be willing to change if necessary. The hours of work expected out of each person ....including mandatory Saturdays.....does not seem healthy, my advice is to rethink this expectation.

Echo Global Logistics Response

Dec 15, 2014Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for the feedback and taking the time to write a review. Happy to hear you gained new skills and knowledge during your time with us. Your advice is appreciated; we developed and launched a ... More

Churn and burn factory

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Echo has a very young atmosphere. It is also very casual as far as dress which I prefer. It is nice not having to dress up every day like I work in a bank or something.

Cons

Echo is basically a churn and burn factory. 70% of the people they employ are straight out of college seeking to move to Chicago from various places in the Midwest. Mostly Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin. These kids know to apply at Echo because it's fast and easy to get a job. Echo never gives raises and has horrible retirement benefits so it's in no one's interest to stay long term.

Pay people what they are worth. Have your salaries more in line with the other 3PLs (i.e. CH, Coyote, etc) and maybe you wouldn't have the turn over that you do.

If you want to see people have careers and not just jobs you need to up your retirement contributions. .5% is a joke.

Also your insurance plans are too expensive. I can't imagine having to cover a family under it. It would literally be my whole paycheck.

Good company, industry can be frustrating

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good atmosphere, good training program, they offer a lot of good benefits and everyone is there to help you.

Cons

all cold calling and don't make commission until after a year and a half most likely. Management contradicts themselves sometimes, these reasons are why a lot of people leave.

Dissatisfied

Current Employee - Client Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun Work environment
    Central location
    Young office atmosphere

Cons

terrible commission structure, favoritism, unprofessionalism, competitive price driven market, difficult customer base to work with.

Management needs to set a better base with the expectations they have on employees. This is a stressful job in an unreliable industry. We are expected to close accounts, manage accounts, track our shipments, do all of our accounting and service our customers like they are our only ones all while making 35,000 a yr. The work environment is fun but the blatant favoritism of certain reps whom have not worked hard enough to earn the accounts that have been handed to them without anything to do with the sell-close process is so flagrant; all of your employees know who deserves to be rewarded for their hard work and who are given accounts they did not earn nor deserve

This job is not for everyone and most people quit w/ in 6 months or stay for the long haul.

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Young, fun employees and beer Fridays are perks.

Cons

You will be working 55-65 hours per week. 11 hrs M-Thurs, 12 Hrs on Friday and 12 Saturday shifts per year at 8 hours per shift. There is absolutely no work-life balance. 401K plan is the worst I have ever seen.

Management can be rude and unprofessional. We have to be there for about 60 hours per week so lets keep it fun.

Amazing company

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, upbeat environment, excellent career path opportunities, fun work space (zen room, ping pong table, golf green, beer Fridays, business casual) awesome insurance benefits, philanthropy clubs, fast paced

Cons

Pay is lower in the beginning but tenure is recognized and rewarded. Must be self sufficient and a go getter. Will not micro manage so sink or swim!

Upper management is great, provide better training for lower level management.

Great company to work for. Great company culture. They really care about their employees

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun and energetic company. Young crowd. They really care about their employees.

Cons

Pay is low to start out. It can take up to 1 or 2 years before you start to make commission because they are monthly goals for sales which is a very difficult goal. Quarterly or yearly goals are much easier to get commission.

There has to be an easier route to gain commission or something else that motivates me to stick around and keep selling.

Favoritism is prevalent

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual
    Some co-workers are decent
    Good benefits
    Remodeled office space

Cons

River North Location is not great.

A lot of egos.

Work pace is so fast it's hard to focus on quality. Some managers are all about # of releases and don't care about real added value or quality.

A lot of favoritism. Recognition is a problem if you are not part of the club. Some peoole get praised for doing way less than others.

Managers are mostly young and inexperienced andvthat leads to the cons above.

Pay attention to hiring competent experienced managers. It's about technical abilities only. Leadership is about managing motivating, mentoring and nurturing employees

Great company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, really young but not quite as "fratty" as similar companies. Casual dress code (polos, button-downs and jeans, so a little nicer than then industry standard.) and beer Fridays.

Cons

Long work days can be stressful. Also not many places to eat around the Chicago office although they do have Fooda come in every now and then.

Keep up the good work!