Echo Global Logistics

Echo Global Logistics Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner

Doug Waggoner

Pros:
  • "Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard"
    in 16 reviews
  • "We even have beer Fridays and get to wear jeans"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible commission structure, low salary"
    in 11 reviews
  • "You do not make over your base salary for the first year, and when you do start getting commission it is easily taken away"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fast paced, good environment

Scottsdale, AZ

ProsWe have a lot fun at work. Echo does a good job on training and keeping employees informed on the market and develops employees to help them for their career. Echo keeps the morale high by encouraging us and doing fun activities to keep people engaged. There's never a dull moment. My day goes by very fast and it's very exciting helping our clients do the inevitable and everyone shares in each other's successes. I like the people I work with and enjoy the logistics industry overall.

ConsThe system we use has some flaws and seems like the "red bar of death" pops up too often but the Help desk is always available and do a pretty good job at resolving any IT issues with a phone call to the dedicated IT line.

Terrible

Carrier Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Scottsdale, AZ

Prosabsolutely zero, there are no cons to this job. It is like high school except they pay you the bare minimum to get people in the door

ConsI dont even know where to start, there are so many that I could never even begin to start to put them on here

Advice to Senior Managementjust quit

Team Lead

Team Lead (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsA lot of smart people, have beer on Friday, people are friendly, willing to help each other

ConsProject Manager likes micro-management, likes to focus on your problems, high turn-over rate, last year's annual bonus got discount due to acquisition of a Boston-based small company. they even called it 'multiplier'

Advice to Senior Managementmicromanagement is very annoying... people have self-esteem.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Candid Review for Current Job Seekers

National Account Manager (Current Employee)

Pros- Great atmosphere, lot of great friendships made
    - Decent work/life balance
    - Fun work events
    -If you have the money to make base for a couple years while others quit and you get handed their accounts this might not be a bad job for you
    - Middle management does care about your success*

Cons- Commission structure is a joke, dont expect to make more than your base until either a) You get lucky and land a large customer or b) have been there for 1 1/2 years
    - Frat House atmosphere at time where work is hard to get accomplished
    - Beng dishonest and shady are traits that are praised
    -*While middle management is helpful and does want you to succeed they have little power to offer any form of bonus or monetary reward beyond a gift card to the Olive Garden
    - Goals are so overinflated that it is challenging to even take them seriously, let alone hit them.
    - While the LTL market is becoming more and more saturated the only way to make any money is in the truckload market which Echo is currently inept at, as their carrier team is tiny

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the company atmosphere and beer fridays are fun at first, the good feelings begin to ware off once employees realize that they are being taken advantage of as cheap labor with extremely lofty goals and a commission structure that is almost laughable. Make your 1yr reps that have been putting in hard work and making your company money feel like they are more than just a number on a spread sheet. Your turnover will be high until you realize that you can not just focus on your top earners and new hires, something has to be done to compensate successful employees who are in the 1-2 year range so they wont quit and never use your service when/if they are shipping managers one day. Build your Truckload carrier team so you can actually service what you are asking your sales team to sell. At the end of the day people go to work to make money and no amount of Starbucks gift cards and beer can make them forget that they are being taken advantage of.

Hard work and innovative thinking opens the door to opportunities.

Sales/Operations (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat management team, from front line sales management up through senior management. Fun culture. Entrepreneurial environment. Lots of opportunity to move around the company.

ConsCold call freight sales is a tough, cutthroat industry. Freight = problems, constant problems. Shipments are late, missed, broken, rerouted, not picked up, pricing renegotiated, etc. Commisson structure was impossible to understand. Antiquated draw. Now it has some tough Account Payable implications on sales people.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify the commissions. Do not penalize salespeople for missed payments. Salesmen do not approve credit. The company should bear that burden.

National Account Manager

National Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Scottsdale, AZ

ProsLearn about the logistics industry, get a handed a beer on Friday. (Their way of bribing you not to quit.)

ConsThey pay you on a "draw", which means you are not valued, very high turnover. Commission structure is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the commission structure to something remotely obtainable. All we're told is how much money the company is worth because of our hard work yet at the end of the day we have nothing to show for it. The company owns zero assets...Except it's bottom level employees.

Take this job if you have no other offers out of college.

ProsThe people
    Great Building
    Beer on friday

Cons1.) 35,000 salary non-negotiable
    2.) expected make 80-100 cold calls per day
    3.) Training program is horrible. Basically waste 3 months sitting in a classroom.
    4.) You will absolutely get blown out of the water on any full truckload quote you do with someone. That's how you start making money on full truckload, not moving a single pallet for $30 gross profit.
    5.) Your job can easily be eliminated since your the 3rd party. You have customers yelling at you for missed/drop times, and theirs nothing you can do about it.
    6.) Extremely hard grow a book of business being a new person. Basically any company in the USA is in the database taken by some seasoned vet.
    7.) Won't see decent bonus until your 3 or 4 year. The average rep last a year at the company. Makes sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly a college frat house. Knew plenty of people sleeping with each other after Thursday night softball games.

Great Industry - Great place to start and build a sales career!

Client Sales Executive (Current Employee)
    Troy, MI

ProsGreat work environment, young workforce.
    Uncapped commission structure-room to make $$
    Side sales contests to add some money at the start
    Great training, I didn't know anything about freight when I started here.

ConsLike any sales job, can be a grind in the beginning
    Biggest room for advancement outside of building a book of sales is in Chicago HQ

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, we're growing well!

Hard work pays off

Sales Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros-fun, young work environment
    -growing industry with exponential opportunity
    -strong leadership team
    -excellent location
    -great experience at any level

Cons-long hours
    -High stress
    -lack of continued education/training
    - you have to define your own career path, it is not clear cut

Advice to Senior Managementexpress where our goals come from, why they are what they are and how you propose we get there. The exec team also needs to make an effort to really understand employees day to day operations

Client Sales Account Manager

Troy, MI

Pros-Great work environment, enjoy coming to work everyday.
    -Fun sales spiffs, great rewards for hard workers.
    -Support from tenured reps and management.
    -Your book of business is what you make it.
    -New on-site trainer to help facilitate the training program- very helpful especially for those that are new to the logistics industry.
    -Hard work but the potential is endless- motivated by tenured reps who are making 6 figures and closing huge deals.

Cons-Freight isn't the most glamorous industry to work in, but it isn't going anywhere.
    -Training can be long at times but helps you understand all parts of the business
    -Up and down months on the sales floor.

Worked for Echo Global Logistics? Contribute to the Community!

Echo Global Logistics Videos

Echo Global Logistics – Why Work for Us?

Take a look at the future of logistics... take a look at Echo. Driven, energetic and motivated – the Echo team is made of like minded individuals with one common thread, an opportunity to jumpstart a career at a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Echo Global Logistics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Echo Global Logistics CEO Doug Waggoner. All 121 reviews posted anonymously by Echo Global Logistics employees.