Echo Global Logistics

Updated November 1, 2014
3.3

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard (in 20 reviews)

• kickball team on thursdays, softball team on tuesdays, beer fridays and happy hours regularly (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Sweeping changes in benefits and commission structure were made without warning (in 13 reviews)

• I wasn't 100% prepared when I hit the floor after training (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sales Representative

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

*Young culture, lots of energy and management is helpful
    * If you are doing your work, there is no micro-managing
    *Good training before you have numbers to meet

Cons

*Base salary is horrible
    *Potential to move up is pretty non-existent
    *High turn-over rate

Create more opportunities to advance or pay increases with time there. ex: every six months

Echo Scottsdale: Poor leadership, low morale, & zero advancement opportunity

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are opportunities for travel at times which can be fun. The 401K is appreciated, although the match is pretty minimal. Can be a good first job to transition you into a 'real job' because of its decent location in Old Town, lack of a dress code, and younger average age.

I'm sure (I hope) the corporate office is a much more professional environment that truly has their employee's best interests at heart as well as the shareholders and customers, however, that is unfortunately not the case in Scottsdale.

Cons

I want to start by saying, heed this warning if considering employment. Management will try and get you to dismiss it as a 'disgruntled ex-employee' but, again, not the case.

I have seen more quality employees leave this office specifically due to the middle/senior management and lack of true leadership than in my time with any other company. Management makes promises that turn out to be blatant lies and barely even attempt to hide it. This includes but is not limited to the following; running sales spiffs that never pay out, promising reps to 'just keep doing what you're doing and we will take care of you', phantom team bonuses at manager's discretion that are kept as dangling carrots and dispersed (or not dispersed) without explanation.

They fully expect 10 hour days from all of their reps. Employees will literally sit there staring at each other hoping one of the others will leave first to earn the wrath of the managers well past their actual shift is done, honestly, I am not even sure if that is legal.

There are a few lucky sales reps (about 2-3 to be exact) that found their success years ago and the entire rest of the office revolves around making those few reps large amounts of money while no one else sees a dime of it. If you were not one of those first few reps - you will likely not find success financially at this branch.

As far as upward mobility, good luck. You are essentially isolated across the country from the corporate office with a small office of support staff. The best you can even hope to become is a low-level supervisor role with no authority to make impactful decisions. Only other option is to move across the country to Chicago to find alternatives at the corporate office, however, they do not offer any moving stipend to help.

Adding a 'Senior' in front of your existing title while maintaining the same daily functions is NOT a promotion.

A $30K base salary is not competitive within the industry, restructure your commission plan because currently it is nearly impossible for a rep to even earn a dime of commission within their first year of employment without hitting the lottery.

Stop telling your employees that 'the grass is never greener on the other side.' Focus on fixing your broken management style and extremely low employee morale rather than trying to trash the reputation of employees that leave and the companies that they move on to - People see right through it and it only sheds more light on your lack of solutions.​

Fast paced, good environment

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We have a lot fun at work. Echo does a good job on training and keeping employees informed on the market and develops employees to help them for their career. Echo keeps the morale high by encouraging us and doing fun activities to keep people engaged. There's never a dull moment. My day goes by very fast and it's very exciting helping our clients do the inevitable and everyone shares in each other's successes. I like the people I work with and enjoy the logistics industry overall.

Cons

The system we use has some flaws and seems like the "red bar of death" pops up too often but the Help desk is always available and do a pretty good job at resolving any IT issues with a phone call to the dedicated IT line.

Terrible

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

absolutely zero, there are no cons to this job. It is like high school except they pay you the bare minimum to get people in the door

Cons

I dont even know where to start, there are so many that I could never even begin to start to put them on here

just quit

National Account Manager

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learn about the logistics industry, get a handed a beer on Friday. (Their way of bribing you not to quit.)

Cons

They pay you on a "draw", which means you are not valued, very high turnover. Commission structure is a joke.

Change the commission structure to something remotely obtainable. All we're told is how much money the company is worth because of our hard work yet at the end of the day we have nothing to show for it. The company owns zero assets...Except it's bottom level employees.

24/7 job

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They hire you with no experience. They have decent events.

Cons

Horrible compensation. 24/7 job. Even worse management. Things change at the drop of the hat, and you are expected to deal or upper management threatens your job. Something happens that is out of your control. Upper management threatens to write you up.

Trust me its not worth it.. Especially since other logistics companies are actively recruiting.

Stop changing things, and actually pay people for their hard work

Growing company, stable industry, great company culture

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone who works here is outgoing, high energy and competitive. Its a casual dress code and can wear shorts which is awesome in the dead of summer. You are constantly busy which makes the day fly by. Its a big open room/sales floor with no cubicals so you sit with your team and all the departments are interacting and negotiating with each other all day which helps you learn the industry and stay updated on market rates.

Cons

It can be very stressful at times and overwhelming in the begining. Since we are a broker, a lot of the problems that arise are out of our control and then you have to relay that information to the customer/carrier. Yes, they are usually upset which is really uncomfortable at first but thats just part of the business and its all about how you handle the situation so if you getting good at that is how you do well.

I like the fact that we are not micromanged but it would be nice if the Supervisors had more time to "mentor" us and we could learn from some of the senior reps. When you are new, it can be hard to know where to start or hard to keep yourself motivated becasue the goals seem so far away and are conflicting at times.

my home away from home

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hands down the people. I was an out of state student at UA and them moved up to Scottsdale with a guy in my frat after graduation but the majority of my friends and all of my family are still back home. I instantly had a new group of close friends the day I joined Echo that I expect I will stay close with several throughout my whole life. There seem to be a lot of midwesterns that I can relate to and get advice from.

Cons

College is over and this is the real world. As I assume with any job, you are going to have bad days but it is what it is, nothing really bad to write home about.

Be more visible and involved! Direct Supervisors and other members of my team (and teams of other departments) are fantastic and always happy to help my questions & concerns, no matter how obscure they may be. Rarely see the VPs when they are around and from the few and brief interactions I have had, it appears they have an abundance of knowledge on both the industry and business in general that i would love to be able to learn from! Also, work on disconnect between branches and HQ. I know its becasue we are so far away and in a different time zone, but sometimes it can feel like we aren't as important.

We have endless opportunity for growth! The sky is the limit for us!

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced, fun, energetic, young company that has not even tapped into the surface of the multi-trillion dollar transportation industry!

Echo is constantly evolving into an industry leader in 3rd party logistics, transportation management and supply chain solutions.

Echo was most recently recognized in 2012 as the #4 Brokerage Firm in North America by Transport Topics' annual "Top 50" publication. (see link: http://ttnews.com/log50/2012/2012log50.pdf).

Managed out of our Scottsdale, AZ Branch, Echo also received the highly regarded "2012 Carrier of the Year Award" by Monster Beverage Company.

As we continue to build our teams with highly motivated and aggressive talent, the growth potential is endless. Transportation is a relationship business. Echo takes great pride in constantly building those relationships with our customers and carriers.

Cons

Both a Pro and a Con: We are young and growing rapidly.

Continue to drive and direct growth and employee development!

not for the faint of heart, but enjoy going to work every day

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-awesome people
    -fun sports teams
    -cool sales competitions
    -despite what others might say, great hours compared to other sales jobs i've had

Cons

-most people are new to the industry so it takes time to get used to it. a little different than what i was used to to talk to truck drivers and warehouse guys all day but it can be fun. it is what you make of it.
    -can be really stressfull (smoking, drinking and gambling vices have increased as a result..) and seemingly unattainable goals at points, but all stuff to make you better in the long run

-keep recognizing a job well done and add more cool sales spiffs like vegas trips, ipad giveaways, gift cards and things like that. more trips that newer reps could potentially win

Echo Global Logistics Photos