Echo Global Logistics Reviews

Reset
3.3
Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • Fun work environment with good people (in 20 reviews)

• Relaxed dress code, beer Fridays, company outings (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible commission structure, low salary (in 13 reviews)

• It is very helpful and very in depth which helps once you hit the floor (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great Environment! Really Enjoy Coming In To Work

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture here is one of a kind. I can truely say that I enjoy coming to work every day. The open desk atmosphere makes it easy to get to know your neighbors. My team is always collaborating together and boucning ideas off of eachother, which I love. Echo is always coming up with new ways to improve and you can really see the excitement throughout the departments.

Cons

Making the dials can get tough at times but my supervisor is always available for support and assistance. It is very clear that hard work pays off and you do see results. Plus, who doesn't love extra money on those paychecks!

Jan 13, 2015 – Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thank you very much for your great review of Echo. We're really glad that you are enjoying your time here and find the work to be challenging and rewarding.

2. A tech shop on the rise.

Current Employee - Software Product Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Product Architect in Chicago, IL

Pros

Working within the technology shop at Echo has allowed me to foster a variety of positive working relationships with some of the best tech talent in the city. I have been involved with several of our development teams, all of which demonstrate some of the key attributes that enable a productive team: diversity, trust, dedication, and (most recently) urgency. Echo promotes an open-minded environment where each member of the team has their ideas or concerns taken seriously. Other Pros: - Nice work/life balance, if you can stay efficient - Collaborative atmosphere - Great health coverage - Well-equipped work stations

Cons

From a technology focused mind: - Further engagement from business stakeholders - The release process needs a bit of fine-tuning - Agile can be leveraged to hide an under performing team, but this is evolving in a positive direction

Advice to Management

- Career framework (which is being constructed) - Guide business stakeholders in realizing how to leverage software to deliver value and not just solve a minor problem that has low impact - Project Management is a necessity considering development team size and breadth of work - A more structured hiring approach

Aug 25, 2015 – HR Representative

We appreciate your feedback! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and contributing to our evolving initiatives in our Tech department.

Great 1st job

Pros

make new friends, attend fun events, lean the logistics industry from the ground up.

Cons

cold calling all day in the beginning (terrible but worth it). Very stressful environment. Lots of turn over. But if you can cut it there is amazing money to be made.

Aug 25, 2015 – HR Representative

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. It’s true that the industry can be hectic and fast-paced, we aim to create an environment that encourages recognition and rewards hard work for ... More

Fun company

Pros

This was a fun company to work for.

Cons

I felt like I out grew it quickly

6. Client Sales Representative

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn how to sell for a beginner, lots of tools to grow, leader in logistics market, good benefits

Cons

Challenging sale in competitive market, rapidly changing company so must be able to adapt, small salary at beginning

Advice to Management

Continue to offer more tools to help salesforce, create better way to cultivate good leads to top sales people

Aug 25, 2015 – HR Representative

Thanks for the review and for your feedback!

Client Sales

Former Employee - Client Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture - young & social workforce. Good sales experience if this is your first job. If you enjoy customer service & are solely motivated by money then you will like this job.

Cons

The logistics industry has become very saturated over the years. The employees that got in at the right time are making a lot of money, but the newer reps struggle to grow their book of business due to so much competition. Echo will entice you with the opportunity to make a lot of money, but the chances of actually making commission are very slim. There isn't any variety to your work - you are essentially a warm body in a chair doing the same routine everyday: cold calling, booking shipments, putting out fires, dealing with unhappy customers. On top of that, you have several metrics that you have to hit every day or else you will be reprimanded - 60 cold calls everyday/ mandatory salesforce activity/ and so on. Do not expect to have any autonomy of your work. It is hit or miss with what manager you get - some are extremely helpful while others are a nightmare to deal with. Not much you can do about that. In short, I actually walked past a senior rep's desk that had a post-it note from a manager asking them to write a GOOD review about Echo on Glassdoor. They know their employees are unhappy but they will do little, if anything, to take their feedback seriously.

Advice to Management

There is a difference between asking your employees what could improve their day-to-day work versus actually doing something about it to make a positive change. I believe this is why your turnover rate is so high. Furthermore, managers need to be successfully trained before they are given the responsibility to motivate their reps and help them grow their book of business.

8. Echo - A great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Echo is a terrific place to work. They truly care about their employees and are passionate about what they do. They offer decent benefits and are beginning to offer more training and advancement opportunities.

Cons

It is hard to maintain a consistent culture across 30+ locations, but they try their best. They are truly improving the employee experience across the board.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Thank you for investing in the employee experience.

Aug 25, 2015 – HR Representative

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at Echo and for your contributions to our company culture. I encourage you to be a part of making sure we continue to live our core values as we grow.

9. 3 Months In

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Environment is great People are amazing and the company has many sponsored events encouraging social life and unwinding after a stressful day. Tons of potential there for individuals and the company as a whole

Cons

Mundane repetitive work, super saturated market so you are always competing with multiple other companies. success can be a combination of hard work and just pure luck.

Advice to Management

No idea how to do that. Stay there long?

Good

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Echo is a great opportunity to start off in the corporate world. It is a fun atmosphere.

Cons

There is a lot of college graduates so it may feel like college at times.

You've need to be tough.

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friends everywhere. Casual dress. Beer Friday's. Unlimited potential to earn as much money as you want. Cool company to work for with growth potential. Always learning new things about logistics.

Cons

This job isn't for everyone. You will love it or be miserable, there are very few people who fall in the middle. Hours are long, get used to getting there at 630 and leaving around 530. Managers in carrier sales are hit or miss. Some of them are really great and helpful and care about you and some treat you as just a number. They ease you into it by a month of training which is classroom based and then you spend a few months learning the ropes before being put on your permanent team assignment. I liked that part, my manager was funny and I felt motivated to work for under her because she seemed to actually care about me. My regional manager is alright but it's hard to be talked to everyday when you make 5 less calls then your manager wants and they just yell about it but don't give any advice on how to fix it. Favoritism with managers is an issue. If you don't drink with everyone or play softball, you can count on not getting any handouts or special privileges. The higher ups try to deny this but they seem oblivious to how they created that culture which I find weird. Internal competition can be a struggle but most people are nice if your nice to them.

Advice to Management

Make your managers actually manage and not just yell. Be more transparent about what's going on in the company so employees are well aware where they stand. More individual feedback would be helpful after training is over. Find a way to make it so we can keep track of who calls what carrier so we don't look disorganized when they get multiple calls each day.

Aug 6, 2015 – Director of Carrier Sales

Thank you for your feedback and overall positive review. We understand that carrier sales can be a stressful job and our management team works to create a fun energetic atmosphere. Our team makes an ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed