Echo Global Logistics

Updated December 12, 2014
3.3

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard (in 20 reviews)

• kickball team on thursdays, softball team on tuesdays, beer fridays and happy hours regularly (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Sweeping changes in benefits and commission structure were made without warning (in 13 reviews)

• I wasn't 100% prepared when I hit the floor after training (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great, fun, exciting company to work for. Management is excellent.

Former Employee - Inside Sales-Business Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Fun, exciting company. Lots of attractive girls. Very friendly work environment.
    No micromanagement. The sales managers give you a lot of freedom and flexibility to run the day as you please
    Lots of support from team leaders and co-workers. You won't ever feel lost about what to do and how to do it.
    Professional work environment. Each sales rep gets two flat screen monitors, their own desk space, dual core processors and an advanced phone.
    Very efficient internal systems/their in house echo trak/echo iq software is fantastic
    location is wonderful. The building as a david barton gym and two or three nice restaurants.
    Lots of young people. You'll feel like your right out of college. No old geezers over here. Just hot girls and young guys.

Cons

Compensation. The benefits may have improved since i left late 2008. But, for the most part, they suck. No matching. Health insurance package is waaay too expensive.
    As an inside sales rep, your on a monthly draw. The sales quotas come down to GP or gross profit. The monthly sales goals get dramatically harder to achieve. So, 3 months into this and you'll be overwhelmed how what your sales goal for the month is.
    Job promotion opportunities are minimal. The best you'll get to is team leader. From there on out, your stuck.
    Their starting to fire a loooot of people. Don't hit those numbers and your out. period.

Monthly sales goals/GP progression is unreasonable. For the first few months, the numbers make sense. After that, it gets unrealistic.
    Compensation package has to improve.

Ok straight out of college

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Its a good place to work straight out of college as it gives you a decent amount of experience but I would not recommend making a career out of it.

Cons

The commission structure is a joke and its hard to move up in the company unless your one of the lucky few.

Reward the people that bring you your business. Do not give promotions based off of popularity rather than actual accomplishments.

Pay and benifits way below industry standard

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Great hours
    Great culture
    Xmas Party
    Less Mico Management than usual

Cons

No Money at all...what so ever

Pay more. Offer 401K

Promise for advancement and commissions in a growing company...hahaha

Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

young fun group of people to work with and your challenges change daily. Their is always something new to learn and be applied every day.

Cons

commisions are extremely hard to earn despite the promise you will break through to earning the 20% commission in 6 months. Echo's policy is deceiving in that it requires you to not only earn the commission percentage, but then it must be paid in by the client for it to count. With 30 day payment terms the commission is backlogged by at lest 2 months IF, in the rare instance, a client actually pays on time.

As an Account Manager you are also responsible for handling your own Accounts Receivables when clients do not pay and Echo provides very little support or backbone to getting the invoices paid, which is key for you to earn your money.

The bottomline is that it is extremely difficult to earn any kind of additional commission in your first 6 months, and you can expect only roughly $100 to $200 per month in your first year.

The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. Echo is constantly changing which metrics are the most integral to success and you are always getting a different goal from every different manager.

Fine Place to Start a Career out of College but Get Out Quickly

Current Employee - Account Manager, Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Account Manager, Inside Sales

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Fun, upbeat work environment.
    Great place to meet people especially if you are new to the city.
    Hiring like crazy, despite the recession.

Cons

Impossible to meet the goals that are set for you.
    New company that hires new grads so they don't have to deal with salary expections, or really any expectations at all.

Make goals that are obtainable and treat top employees in a way that will make them want to stick around.

Hire a ton of kids out of school, create mass phone waves

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Competition among your peers is not tough. I was 24 when I took the job, a few years of sales under my belt. Most of the 30 in my training class were 22 and just excited to have a job. It was like a continuation of college. Very strange. Either way, if you know how to sell at all you look like a genius in training, especially since the trainers are only in their mid-20's. Also, they have enough money to afford to pay you your small salary even if you can't sell, so job security is great.

Cons

Don't work here if you live in the suburbs. It's not worth the travel. You start looking at your hourly rate in relation to amount of time devoted to work and it's horrendous. My work day was 10 hours and 15 minutes, add over 3 total hours of travel a day and it equals a terrible life. You also get assigned a "mentor". Maybe you get a good one. I got one that had less sales experience than me and she was extremely condescending. Very unprofessional with limited knowledge. People there are just roo inexperienced.

Well you guys are doing what you're doing and it's successful for you. Brokerage isn't going to last forever though and I know management knows that. Can't beat pallet rates from the big guys and the technology isn't innovate at all like you claim. Not much value to sell for the educated customer.

Not so much.........

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Fun environment, great people, ok

Cons

Everything else, feel terrible when you get home

Be more reasonable and set better goals

Took advantage of recent hires...

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Young environment
    Growing business
    Good local scene

Cons

Poor pay
    Old after a couple months

Promotions are not available, training is too long and takes the wind out of your sails fast. Ok for a first job but you can make more bartending three nights a week...

Good

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Culture, Location, People, Growing, Nice

Cons

Computer all day, Boring, Freight Sales

Just do it

I like my job

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

I really like my job at Echo. I work with great people and the day flies by. All my friends complain about their jobs and are jealous when I say good things about work

Cons

Benefits could be a little better

Keep hiring good people. Match the 401k