Echo Global Logistics

Updated August 19, 2014

3.5

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard (in 19 reviews)

• kickball team on thursdays, softball team on tuesdays, beer fridays and happy hours regularly (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible commission structure, low salary (in 11 reviews)

• Base Salary sucks and it takes a while to build business (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Echo Global Logistics has been phenominal in their training process.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

Pros

The cool thing about working at Echo Dallas is that we have tons of outuside events that keep the job fun and interesting.

Cons

The only challenge that I feel that may be a problem is moving up within the company after working here for a while. There are a ton of smart people that work here so the competition is pretty tough.

Keep up the good work!

Echo Dallas - The Job and Career I've been looking for

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

Pros

When I walked in the doors I could tell this was not like any place I'd ever worked, and I've been my own boss... CEO and COO of 2 small businesses operated in Dallas.

The work environment, while rigorous, is a very positive learning and coaching environment, as well as being very transparent. I can email the CEO and get a response from him directly in the same day. There's no one too big in the company to reach out to with a concern, idea, suggestion, or insight. That coming from an 8 year old, Billion dollar, Publicly Traded company? "Yeah Right" is what you're thinking, but it's entirely true.

The leadership in the office is involved, but not at the micro-management level (unless you thrive on micro-management). There's freedom of setting your own pace for your day and getting accomplished what needs to be done in a manner that you can handle.

I can't imagine working anywhere else, at this point, unless I won the Lottery and never had a need for it. Even still, I'd be tempted to come in and run a small book of business.

PS: If you're reading negative comments about the company from former employees... take it with a grain of salt. This job is not about the salary. Anyone worth their mettle is not trying to keep their salary here, they're working for commissions. There's no such thing as a pay cut when you're growing a book of business and getting paid for your efforts with that book. Someone talking about pay cuts on their salary is someone that shouldn't have been here in the first place. This is real sales... not retail.

Cons

I live furthermore out of Dalals than most, so the commute is a little difficult for me. While it's centrally located in beautiful Uptown Dallas off Woodall Rodgers... it's also located off Woodall Rodgers... which means traffic can be a nightmare. That's about all he negative I can think to report.

Keep doing what you're doing. You've got it right.

Not for the unmotivated.

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great opportunities to make money and learn

After a year you will be an expert in the Logistics industry.

Cons

Can be a 24/7 job.

None as of yet.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Echo Dallas, a great place to learn both sales and transportation management

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great Co workers, dedicated managerial and executive staff. The company is growing at such a rapid pace, there is a lot of room for internal promotion.

Cons

In my tenure thus far, i have not seen any cons worth noting. At the pace the company is growing, its good to see that they have kept most everyone happy!

Keep up the dedication and face time within the branches, it helps motivate employees!

Great Company To Break Into Sales

Current Employee - Inside Sales  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Chicago, IL

Pros

You learn problem solving first hand.

Cons

Base Salary sucks and it takes a while to build business. Lead system and CRM suck.

Pay more.

Fast paced, good environment

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

We have a lot fun at work. Echo does a good job on training and keeping employees informed on the market and develops employees to help them for their career. Echo keeps the morale high by encouraging us and doing fun activities to keep people engaged. There's never a dull moment. My day goes by very fast and it's very exciting helping our clients do the inevitable and everyone shares in each other's successes. I like the people I work with and enjoy the logistics industry overall.

Cons

The system we use has some flaws and seems like the "red bar of death" pops up too often but the Help desk is always available and do a pretty good job at resolving any IT issues with a phone call to the dedicated IT line.

Great Industry - Great place to start and build a sales career!

Current Employee - Client Sales Executive  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Client Sales Executive in Troy, MI

Pros

Great work environment, young workforce.
    Uncapped commission structure-room to make $$
    Side sales contests to add some money at the start
    Great training, I didn't know anything about freight when I started here.

Cons

Like any sales job, can be a grind in the beginning
    Biggest room for advancement outside of building a book of sales is in Chicago HQ

Keep doing what you're doing, we're growing well!

Best Place to Work In Metro Detroit

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Troy, MI

Pros

-company culture: casual dress code, young energetic people, beer fridays
    -great managment: good mix of focusing on metrics and pushing us harder to do better than we think we can
    -work hard, play hard: I actually enjoy being at work and competing with my co-workers as well as meeting up with them on the weekends
    -very much a place where you get out what you put in

Cons

-there is a high volume of cold calling involved so if you don't like being on the phone or dont have a thick enough skin/no backbone, then its probably not the place for you
    -it can take a long time to start earning commission and I've noticed some of the younger reps right out of college get easily discouraged and a negative attitude gets them no where but out the door. people who came from another sales role seem to "get it" a little more and know the kind of hard work it takes to make it in sales.

Spend more time developing your team, especially the ones right out of college. Its your job as a manager to figure out how each is motivated and get them back on track when they get frusterated, work on strenghts/weakness, get involved enough to where you are actually invested in seeing them succeed and show it!

Growing company, stable industry, great company culture

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Everyone who works here is outgoing, high energy and competitive. Its a casual dress code and can wear shorts which is awesome in the dead of summer. You are constantly busy which makes the day fly by. Its a big open room/sales floor with no cubicals so you sit with your team and all the departments are interacting and negotiating with each other all day which helps you learn the industry and stay updated on market rates.

Cons

It can be very stressful at times and overwhelming in the begining. Since we are a broker, a lot of the problems that arise are out of our control and then you have to relay that information to the customer/carrier. Yes, they are usually upset which is really uncomfortable at first but thats just part of the business and its all about how you handle the situation so if you getting good at that is how you do well.

I like the fact that we are not micromanged but it would be nice if the Supervisors had more time to "mentor" us and we could learn from some of the senior reps. When you are new, it can be hard to know where to start or hard to keep yourself motivated becasue the goals seem so far away and are conflicting at times.

my home away from home

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Hands down the people. I was an out of state student at UA and them moved up to Scottsdale with a guy in my frat after graduation but the majority of my friends and all of my family are still back home. I instantly had a new group of close friends the day I joined Echo that I expect I will stay close with several throughout my whole life. There seem to be a lot of midwesterns that I can relate to and get advice from.

Cons

College is over and this is the real world. As I assume with any job, you are going to have bad days but it is what it is, nothing really bad to write home about.

Be more visible and involved! Direct Supervisors and other members of my team (and teams of other departments) are fantastic and always happy to help my questions & concerns, no matter how obscure they may be. Rarely see the VPs when they are around and from the few and brief interactions I have had, it appears they have an abundance of knowledge on both the industry and business in general that i would love to be able to learn from! Also, work on disconnect between branches and HQ. I know its becasue we are so far away and in a different time zone, but sometimes it can feel like we aren't as important.

Worked for Echo Global Logistics? Contribute to the Community!