Echo Global Logistics

Updated January 9, 2015
3.3

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard (in 20 reviews)

• kickball team on thursdays, softball team on tuesdays, beer fridays and happy hours regularly (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Sweeping changes in benefits and commission structure were made without warning (in 13 reviews)

• I wasn't 100% prepared when I hit the floor after training (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Place to Work In Metro Detroit

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Troy, MI

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-company culture: casual dress code, young energetic people, beer fridays
    -great managment: good mix of focusing on metrics and pushing us harder to do better than we think we can
    -work hard, play hard: I actually enjoy being at work and competing with my co-workers as well as meeting up with them on the weekends
    -very much a place where you get out what you put in

Cons

-there is a high volume of cold calling involved so if you don't like being on the phone or dont have a thick enough skin/no backbone, then its probably not the place for you
    -it can take a long time to start earning commission and I've noticed some of the younger reps right out of college get easily discouraged and a negative attitude gets them no where but out the door. people who came from another sales role seem to "get it" a little more and know the kind of hard work it takes to make it in sales.

Spend more time developing your team, especially the ones right out of college. Its your job as a manager to figure out how each is motivated and get them back on track when they get frusterated, work on strenghts/weakness, get involved enough to where you are actually invested in seeing them succeed and show it!

Growing company, stable industry, great company culture

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone who works here is outgoing, high energy and competitive. Its a casual dress code and can wear shorts which is awesome in the dead of summer. You are constantly busy which makes the day fly by. Its a big open room/sales floor with no cubicals so you sit with your team and all the departments are interacting and negotiating with each other all day which helps you learn the industry and stay updated on market rates.

Cons

It can be very stressful at times and overwhelming in the begining. Since we are a broker, a lot of the problems that arise are out of our control and then you have to relay that information to the customer/carrier. Yes, they are usually upset which is really uncomfortable at first but thats just part of the business and its all about how you handle the situation so if you getting good at that is how you do well.

I like the fact that we are not micromanged but it would be nice if the Supervisors had more time to "mentor" us and we could learn from some of the senior reps. When you are new, it can be hard to know where to start or hard to keep yourself motivated becasue the goals seem so far away and are conflicting at times.

my home away from home

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hands down the people. I was an out of state student at UA and them moved up to Scottsdale with a guy in my frat after graduation but the majority of my friends and all of my family are still back home. I instantly had a new group of close friends the day I joined Echo that I expect I will stay close with several throughout my whole life. There seem to be a lot of midwesterns that I can relate to and get advice from.

Cons

College is over and this is the real world. As I assume with any job, you are going to have bad days but it is what it is, nothing really bad to write home about.

Be more visible and involved! Direct Supervisors and other members of my team (and teams of other departments) are fantastic and always happy to help my questions & concerns, no matter how obscure they may be. Rarely see the VPs when they are around and from the few and brief interactions I have had, it appears they have an abundance of knowledge on both the industry and business in general that i would love to be able to learn from! Also, work on disconnect between branches and HQ. I know its becasue we are so far away and in a different time zone, but sometimes it can feel like we aren't as important.

Growing company- great place to build a career

Current Employee - Carrier Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced and growing company with unlimited opportunities. Very supportive management, fun atmosphere, and great co-workers. Very comprehensive training that is beneficial whether or not you have been in the transportation industry. Not a mindless office job where you just go through the motions, something new every day. If you are a hardworker, competitive, and like a sales atmosphere Echo does provide you with the tools to succeed and invests a lot of time/resources in employees. Management is easy to talk to, very positive, always willing to meet with you to discuss questions or frustrations. Monthly reviews that go over performance, success, room for growth, and new goals. This office also likes to celebrate success and recognizes when you do a good job or are improving. New office is in a great location with many windows and lots of natural light.

Cons

Less sick days and company holidays than other companies I've worked for.

I didn't know a job like this existed!

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working at Echo. The Dallas branch has a fun work hard play hard mentality. As long as you are willing to work, this is the place for you. Its a young atmosphere that provides premeir training to their new employees. They bend over backwards to make sure you understand logistics and the sales process. The manager and supervisors are great too. They do not micro manage--they think out of the box and find new and exciting ways to motivate us. We even have beer Fridays and get to wear jeans. The incoming pay is competitive especially in Dallas. I still can't think of a reason to turn this job down. I have recommended some of my close friends, so obviously I think highly of Echo.

Cons

It is sales so you have to be ready to put in the work at the beginning to get a sturdy customer base. Other than that, there aren't very many cons. If you arent happy with something all you have to do is go to someone in management and they will help you. They genuinely want you to enjoy your job.

not for the faint of heart, but enjoy going to work every day

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-awesome people
    -fun sports teams
    -cool sales competitions
    -despite what others might say, great hours compared to other sales jobs i've had

Cons

-most people are new to the industry so it takes time to get used to it. a little different than what i was used to to talk to truck drivers and warehouse guys all day but it can be fun. it is what you make of it.
    -can be really stressfull (smoking, drinking and gambling vices have increased as a result..) and seemingly unattainable goals at points, but all stuff to make you better in the long run

-keep recognizing a job well done and add more cool sales spiffs like vegas trips, ipad giveaways, gift cards and things like that. more trips that newer reps could potentially win

We have endless opportunity for growth! The sky is the limit for us!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, fun, energetic, young company that has not even tapped into the surface of the multi-trillion dollar transportation industry!

Echo is constantly evolving into an industry leader in 3rd party logistics, transportation management and supply chain solutions.

Echo was most recently recognized in 2012 as the #4 Brokerage Firm in North America by Transport Topics' annual "Top 50" publication. (see link: http://ttnews.com/log50/2012/2012log50.pdf).

Managed out of our Scottsdale, AZ Branch, Echo also received the highly regarded "2012 Carrier of the Year Award" by Monster Beverage Company.

As we continue to build our teams with highly motivated and aggressive talent, the growth potential is endless. Transportation is a relationship business. Echo takes great pride in constantly building those relationships with our customers and carriers.

Cons

Both a Pro and a Con: We are young and growing rapidly.

Continue to drive and direct growth and employee development!

Tons of good opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There's tons of room for growth, they're adding new branches and each branch is growing, including Chicago. All but one Branch Manager is an internal promotion, and every supervisor is promoted from within. Fun atmosphere, very energetic, the company realizes that sales is sometimes a grind and will incent not only with things like beer Fridays but also with outside sales trips. This really engages the sales force and acts as a light at the end of the tunnel--but one that's attainable. Higher-than-normal commission percentage for customer and carrier sales reps.

Cons

Rapid growth leads to growing pains, i.e., leadership territorial disputes. There's not a lot of "low-hanging fruit," which actually is a plus, but that means that to advance you either wait for growth or create your own opportunity.

Don't be afraid to make investments in developing your existing employees. You're putting a ton of money into training, which is great, but the existing talent would love to see some development as well.

Echo Global Logistics – Dallas

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Echo is a young company with a very young atmosphere, the average age in the Dallas office is sitting somewhere in the neighborhood of 24 years old. Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard. The atmosphere is very laid back in regards to letting you do things your own way. Echo Chicago provides a great training experience for the branch. Almost all higher level positions in the company are filled via internal promotions. Sales reps are not micro managed in their daily tasks. No commission cap, which generally puts a 3rd year employee in the six figure range.

Cons

Echo’s starting compensation is a draw against commission, rather than base plus commission. This is standard across the board in most logistics sales careers. However, it can seem somewhat daunting at first, but generally representatives are above their base compensation within the first nine months.

If you work hard and focus this is a great opportunity.

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Really good people. I never wake up dreading to go to work. Even if I have a tough day my co-workers pick me up.

Cons

If you're in sales, it's not easy at first. Once you get traction you can do very well.

The company seams really stable and still has a growth mentality. As long as the exec team doesn't loose that mind set, the company can continue to grow and gain market share.

Echo Global Logistics Photos