EchoStar

EchoStar Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

EchoStar President, CEO, and Director Michael T. Dugan

Michael T. Dugan

Pros:
  • "Values work/life balance and is a place where I feel appreciated"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Awesome work environment, Challenging work, Lot of opportunities to grow"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The dysfunction of executive/upper management eventually pushes out the talent"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Use to be good in health benefits but now they have reduced"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Career Ending

Global Manufacturing Manager (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsDifficult to list any. Sr. Management hides behind a good ol boy, old school entrenched culture. Management Disconnected from the actual employees hard work and their actual needs to fulfill arduous requirements.

ConsWhen your sending your employees internationally, take care of them. While traveling for EchoStar in India I contracted the debilitating disease dengue virus. Company abandoned me, waited 2 weeks while I lay in hospital before passing me along to a work comp claim. Lost tens of thousands of dollars and eventually forced to leave the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees and their best interest, we dedicate ourselves to the company. Have the compassion, decency, ethical and moral commitment to do the same for your employees while you place them in harms way and dangerous environments and harsh conditions. Don't turn your back on unique situations, do what's morally correct.

EchoStar is a leading-edge high-tech telecommunications company where you can make a difference.

Engineer (Current Employee)

Pros1. Working for an innovative, high-tech company that invests heavily in leading edge technology to stay ahead of the curve. Satellites, Linux, server farms everywhere, virtual machines, endless applications, tools and software. This is truly a technology playground.
    2. There are many opportunities to make a difference. From small projects to long-term missions, if you have the ambition, you can excel and make a name for yourself here.
    3. Compared to my previous positions, the work-life balance here is superb. Most managers are satisfied if you work a solid eight hours.
    4. Most managers are very reasonable when it comes to performance expectations and workload.
    5. Most of the employees here are great people to work with.

Cons1. Can't think of many negatives of working here but I'll try:
    2. The benefits are average (not bad but not great). For example, the health insurance plans have fairly high deductibles before the plans start paying and you get 2 weeks vacation for the first 5 years. Again, not terrible but not great.
    3. Some of the locations are difficult to travel to (satellite uplink facilities) or surrounded by lots of traffic (Inverness in Denver).
    4. Some of the employees are disgruntled and I wish they would just leave and find a job that they like instead of spreading their negativity around.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've done a great job with the technology and the finances (product lines, financial performance, etc.). My only advice is that the benefits should be improved. Why be just another average company when it comes to benefits? If you offer great benefits then your employees will recognize the sentiment and really appreciate the company that they work for. For example, my previous company offered 3 weeks vacation after 2 years of employment and that was a benefit that everyone thought was fantastic. In addition, the health insurance plans had much lower deductibles ($100 for an individual and $400 for employee+family) and the bimonthly cost was lower as well.

Why not take the company to the next level by offering excellent "stand-out" benefits instead of just average benefits like everyone else?

Excellent opportunity for experience and learning, if salary is not your main motivation.

Software Test Engineer (Current Employee)
    Englewood, CO

ProsCasual and often times laid back environment, easy management access, minimal micro-management, company sponsored events, overtime available to hourly employees, gain experience here, but only if you are willing to go take it!

ConsPoor compensation and promotion structure, ancient equipment to work with, building is too small and falling apart, or catching on fire. Not aligned with industry standard practices such as ieee and istqb. Proprietary and highly archaic programs to work with gaining no experience that is used anywhere else in the industry. Our customer (Dish) dictates too much, and we bend over to provide it, often for it to just be forgotten about by them. Project managers given power to work against other project managers to be the pet of the executives, which leads to lack of team work and division of resources that is highly apparent further down the hill in the company. Morale around here feels like everyone is beat down.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeems like a good "starter job" where people get their 5 years of industry experience and take it to a company that will actually pay what the people -and new employer- feel they are worth. Only the mediocre stick around for the mediocre product produced and salary earned. Such a shame to miss out on talent due to the need to be cheap. Charlie is worth 12.5 billion and your employees are leaving because they aren't properly compensated? Ridiculous! Ever heard of a bonus?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome experience

Engineering Intern (Current Employee)
    Englewood, CO

ProsGreat manager, great workplace, great people

ConsThere are no downsides as they are very good to employees

Fun, dynamic. Great place to start a career

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Englewood, CO

ProsThe atmosphere is fairly laid back and everyone is willing to help. There is always something going on, so your work is never boring

ConsSome aspects of code review and implementation can be a little lax. More organization would be helpful in finding exactly what the expectation is.

Summer Engineering Intern

Summer Intern (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGood work environment, light work

ConsLess pay and not good vending machines

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on infrastructure

Friendly co-workers but it is like working in a "bleached" environment.

BOT IV (Former Employee)
    Cheyenne, WY

ProsEasy to learn other departments jobs and transfer.

ConsProblems flow downhill quickly. Being in the TOC (bottom or entry level) other departments quickly find a way to pass the buck when problems arise.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and support employees that have worked worked for years there. There is finger pointing in every department when something happens. Create an inter-departmental investigation team when trying to find the origination of a problem.

Terrible benefits, long hours, low salaries... what's to like?

Systems Administrator II (Former Employee)
    Cheyenne, WY

ProsThey will send you to a ton of training, so you can quickly improve your resume with knowledge and certifications on new technology.

ConsLong hours, micromanagement, blamestorming describes management at Echostar. They are truly a company where they expect you to take PTO for a 2 hour doctor's appointment during the day but think nothing of demanding you stay late to meet deadlines. And there's no real opportunity for advancement. There's always talk of how "we are changing the way things are done" but then when it comes times for reviews, surprise! Nothing ever changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your goal is to train people to quickly get better jobs elsewhere, BRAVO! Otherwise, you need to recognize that even in Cheyenne, there are now multiple technical opportunities that let people quickly move on.

Never a dull moment

ProsExposure to cutting edge technology.
    Dynamic environment

ConsVery power driven culture in senior management.

great company!

Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood vibe, lots of friendly people

ConsVery work intensive, demanded excellence among their employees.

Worked for EchoStar? Contribute to the Community!

EchoStar Videos

EchoStar – Why Work for Us?

EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS) is a premier global provider of satellite operations and video delivery solutions. EchoStar’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Hughes, is the world's leading provider of satellite broadband… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EchoStar reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EchoStar CEO Michael T. Dugan. All 135 reviews posted anonymously by EchoStar employees.