EchoStar

Updated November 26, 2014
2.9

EchoStar President, CEO, and Director Michael T. Dugan
Michael T. Dugan

Pros
  • Values work/life balance and is a place where I feel appreciated (in 8 reviews)

• very good opportunity to learn a lot - you are given all the responsibility you want and then some (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay no advancement, upper management that simply doesn't care about their employees (in 14 reviews)

• Use to be good in health benefits but now they have reduced (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

68 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company very pleased

Current Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good group of people and very comfortable environment. Everyone has been very welcoming and friendly as I came onboard. Genuinely interested in helping you get up to speed and contributing quickly. The benefits package is solid especially the tuition reimbursement program. Lots of nice perks working here with significant discount for a variety of services. Management allows people to do their job without micro managing day to day functions.

Cons

Tuition reimbursement and approval process is slow. I have only been with the company a short time but there seems to be a large number of contractors versus employees. Contractors make sense in certain cases but there are several they have been with the company for years. Would seem to make more sense to have them converted to employees to be more vested in the company.

Would love to see Upper Management put a greater emphasis on the employee activities such as the Halloween, Thanksgiving parties. Participation was low and lacked the feeling the company cared about those activities.

If you're in the right area, this company can be 'ok'

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very stable employment.
    In certain areas, the work can be very cutting-edge
    In certain areas (ExpressVu), they can be reasonable about expected work and project management.

Cons

The respect for people in other groups or as employees can be nonexistent at times, on all ladders of the company. In one company all-team-meeting, the CEO was asked about the employees working 12-hour days in a Pennsylvania-based facility, and his response was "it's great you have the work." and really didn't see their problem of, "hey, we would like to go home" as stated in the question.

Group-to-group, internally, the game of "ask for everything like you needed it yesterday whether you do or not" happens entirely too often.

Within the software group doing the flagship set-top-boxes for Dish, unbelievably unrealistic deadlines are made in some effort to drive a product and 'incentivize' working weekends. In the end, software engineering becomes an exercise in managing technical debt and covering-up bugs or hacking things together so you get your evenings and weekends back from overpromises of management.

Don't think for a second your heroics will be rewarded when it comes time for raises.

Quite a bit of the problems have to do with the fact that it's a hardware engineering company, and software is usually the last thing between a product collecting dust and generating revenue---I don't think that is ever going to change.

I had said in a previous review that this is a good place to start your career, and, I'm not sure that is entirely accurate. It's good in that it's a stable job with very minimal politics at the entry-level. It's bad in that the development of maturity as a software engineer, is lacking. Things like estimation, architecture, and maturity in product-ownership can be hard to develop if you don't go out on-a-limb and get it yourself.

...but overall, at the end of the day, it's not a horrific place to work if you need the money.

Develop your product against a vision rather than sycophantic obedience of management when they see what's available currently at Best Buy.

The people are great but the company only cares about money.

Current Employee - Customer Resolutions Specialist in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Resolutions Specialist in Littleton, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people that i worked with were great. My dept was especially fun to be in as my direct manager always made sure there were team activities.

Cons

Money is always an issue. The company cares more about making money than helping their employees; this includes budget cuts, raises being cut, no more performance bonus pays.

Upper management needs to get to know employees more. They need to learn about the agents that are doing the dirty work. Instead of making excuses about letting people go, honesty is what is needed. If there is a budget cut that needs to be said instead of writing negative reviews about well known good performing agents.

Not employee focused.

Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

An engineer's dream. The work is very technical. Also, you get the opportunity to deal with manufacturing teams from China and Mexico, repair facilities in Mexico, etc. very good opportunity to learn a lot - you are given all the responsibility you want and then some.

Cons

Pay is a bit low. Lots of pressure and frequent chances to get chewed out.

Increase benefits, and try to make this a more enjoyable work environment.

Unfriendly atmosphere, non-existent teamwork, appallingly inappropriate CEO

Current Employee - Programmer in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Programmer in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my case, not all, I am well-paid. I enjoy the work I do.Good 401(k) matching. Nice bi-annual events - picnic and holiday party.

Cons

The concept of greeting someone in the hallway as you pass is foreign to most employees, especially those who once worked for Dish - teamwork is not valued much either. We have very outdated software. CEO says such stupid things during all-employee meetings that they now have an HR representative standing right next to him when he talks He races through the parking lot like its the Indy 500 - it almost seems like he is aiming at employees who are walking across the lot - guess he thinks they are the one's giving him poor reviews on this site ;)

ditch the CEO

Alright Folks

Current Employee - Program Manager Specialist in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager Specialist in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

i guess there is an alright balance of work/culture

Cons

the environment is awful. There was a course i took awhile back, and they mentioned the hardest thing to do is change culture. Culture from the get go here is awful. Senior mgmt all team meetings are so forced. Basically, there isn't a team culture, it's more like your lucky to have a job here. There is no encouragement, no fun, just a simple 8-5 job.

Great people to work with

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, Great people, Challenging projects, Responsible projects

Cons

Better benefits, Better wages, Better Medical plans

Good company to Intern

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Denver, CO

I have been working at EchoStar as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They are the best in Satellite communication.

Cons

they are not much innovative. So we must know what we are particularly interested in.

Good Internship Program

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Denver, CO

I worked at EchoStar as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Work on bleeding edge technologies
    - Good Mentorship
    - Good Intern Benefits [ Accomodation, Tours,etc]
    - Overall good .

Cons

- Should invest more on research projects.
    - Micromanagement at some levels.

Career Ending

Current Employee - Global Manufacturing Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Global Manufacturing Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Difficult to list any. Sr. Management hides behind a good ol boy, old school entrenched culture. Management Disconnected from the actual employees hard work and their actual needs to fulfill arduous requirements.

Cons

When your sending your employees internationally, take care of them. While traveling for EchoStar in India I contracted the debilitating disease dengue virus. Company abandoned me, waited 2 weeks while I lay in hospital before passing me along to a work comp claim. Lost tens of thousands of dollars and eventually forced to leave the company.

Take care of your employees and their best interest, we dedicate ourselves to the company. Have the compassion, decency, ethical and moral commitment to do the same for your employees while you place them in harms way and dangerous environments and harsh conditions. Don't turn your back on unique situations, do what's morally correct.