EchoStar Reviews

1. Senior Manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great culture
    - Fun atmosphere
    - Willingness to teach and grow employees
    - 'Get it done' attitude common across employees

Cons

- Benefits are a bit on the high side
    - Would prefer more vacation carryover

2. Great place to learn and work

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar

Pros

Technologies, Team, Environment, Career Opportunities. Received a free training. In general this is a good company to work for.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are not the best at this company. Had a feeling that mangers did not trust their workers.Often had to work overtime.

3. Echostar is great.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My team has been very supportive in giving good critique wit the work that I have been doing.
    I can share my opinions without feeling like I am stepping on toes or offending people.
    I have been given a period to prove myself and show management and peers what I am capable of.
    I am treated as a professional by peers and management.

Cons

It has taken a little while to get used to the cubicle compartmentalized atmosphere. What I do it would lead better to have desks/spaces more open.

Hard work, in an engineering environment.

Former Employee - Engineer I in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar

Pros

This place has legitimate engineering opportunities for techie types. Design, coding, testing, manufacturing, the gamut.

Cons

Pay and benefits are not that good, lots of pressure, relatively little positive feedback.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. They're working hard for you.

EchoStar sucks.

Current Employee - Engineer II in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar

Pros

An engineering job was available.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement. Poor technical training. Poor benefits and vacation (2 weeks)

Advice to Management

Take any advice from people in the company. Support employees with training and promotions and raises.

Not worth working for

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Events happen from time to time

Cons

Company doesn't value employees. Priorities change overnight and planning do not matter. HIWTYL is everyday business. It feels like you are working for a manufacturing company here. No motivation. Benefits are just average.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the abusive managers. Have better planning and stick to the plans.

8. Good company very pleased

Current Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good group of people and very comfortable environment. Everyone has been very welcoming and friendly as I came onboard. Genuinely interested in helping you get up to speed and contributing quickly. The benefits package is solid especially the tuition reimbursement program. Lots of nice perks working here with significant discount for a variety of services. Management allows people to do their job without micro managing day to day functions.

Cons

Tuition reimbursement and approval process is slow. I have only been with the company a short time but there seems to be a large number of contractors versus employees. Contractors make sense in certain cases but there are several they have been with the company for years. Would seem to make more sense to have them converted to employees to be more vested in the company.

Advice to Management

Would love to see Upper Management put a greater emphasis on the employee activities such as the Halloween, Thanksgiving parties. Participation was low and lacked the feeling the company cared about those activities.

If you're in the right area, this company can be 'ok'

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very stable employment.
    In certain areas, the work can be very cutting-edge
    In certain areas (ExpressVu), they can be reasonable about expected work and project management.

Cons

The respect for people in other groups or as employees can be nonexistent at times, on all ladders of the company. In one company all-team-meeting, the CEO was asked about the employees working 12-hour days in a Pennsylvania-based facility, and his response was "it's great you have the work." and really didn't see their problem of, "hey, we would like to go home" as stated in the question.

Group-to-group, internally, the game of "ask for everything like you needed it yesterday whether you do or not" happens entirely too often.

Within the software group doing the flagship set-top-boxes for Dish, unbelievably unrealistic deadlines are made in some effort to drive a product and 'incentivize' working weekends. In the end, software engineering becomes an exercise in managing technical debt and covering-up bugs or hacking things together so you get your evenings and weekends back from overpromises of management.

Don't think for a second your heroics will be rewarded when it comes time for raises.

Quite a bit of the problems have to do with the fact that it's a hardware engineering company, and software is usually the last thing between a product collecting dust and generating revenue---I don't think that is ever going to change.

I had said in a previous review that this is a good place to start your career, and, I'm not sure that is entirely accurate. It's good in that it's a stable job with very minimal politics at the entry-level. It's bad in that the development of maturity as a software engineer, is lacking. Things like estimation, architecture, and maturity in product-ownership can be hard to develop if you don't go out on-a-limb and get it yourself.

...but overall, at the end of the day, it's not a horrific place to work if you need the money.

Advice to Management

Develop your product against a vision rather than sycophantic obedience of management when they see what's available currently at Best Buy.

Unfriendly atmosphere, non-existent teamwork, appallingly inappropriate CEO

Current Employee - Programmer in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Programmer in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my case, not all, I am well-paid. I enjoy the work I do.Good 401(k) matching. Nice bi-annual events - picnic and holiday party.

Cons

The concept of greeting someone in the hallway as you pass is foreign to most employees, especially those who once worked for Dish - teamwork is not valued much either. We have very outdated software. CEO says such stupid things during all-employee meetings that they now have an HR representative standing right next to him when he talks He races through the parking lot like its the Indy 500 - it almost seems like he is aiming at employees who are walking across the lot - guess he thinks they are the one's giving him poor reviews on this site ;)

Advice to Management

ditch the CEO

11. Alright Folks

Current Employee - Program Manager Specialist in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager Specialist in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

i guess there is an alright balance of work/culture

Cons

the environment is awful. There was a course i took awhile back, and they mentioned the hardest thing to do is change culture. Culture from the get go here is awful. Senior mgmt all team meetings are so forced. Basically, there isn't a team culture, it's more like your lucky to have a job here. There is no encouragement, no fun, just a simple 8-5 job.