EchoStar

Updated November 26, 2014
2.9

EchoStar President, CEO, and Director Michael T. Dugan
Michael T. Dugan

Pros
  • Values work/life balance and is a place where I feel appreciated (in 8 reviews)

• very good opportunity to learn a lot - you are given all the responsibility you want and then some (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay no advancement, upper management that simply doesn't care about their employees (in 14 reviews)

• Use to be good in health benefits but now they have reduced (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

50 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company very pleased

Current Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good group of people and very comfortable environment. Everyone has been very welcoming and friendly as I came onboard. Genuinely interested in helping you get up to speed and contributing quickly. The benefits package is solid especially the tuition reimbursement program. Lots of nice perks working here with significant discount for a variety of services. Management allows people to do their job without micro managing day to day functions.

Cons

Tuition reimbursement and approval process is slow. I have only been with the company a short time but there seems to be a large number of contractors versus employees. Contractors make sense in certain cases but there are several they have been with the company for years. Would seem to make more sense to have them converted to employees to be more vested in the company.

Would love to see Upper Management put a greater emphasis on the employee activities such as the Halloween, Thanksgiving parties. Participation was low and lacked the feeling the company cared about those activities.

If you're in the right area, this company can be 'ok'

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very stable employment.
    In certain areas, the work can be very cutting-edge
    In certain areas (ExpressVu), they can be reasonable about expected work and project management.

Cons

The respect for people in other groups or as employees can be nonexistent at times, on all ladders of the company. In one company all-team-meeting, the CEO was asked about the employees working 12-hour days in a Pennsylvania-based facility, and his response was "it's great you have the work." and really didn't see their problem of, "hey, we would like to go home" as stated in the question.

Group-to-group, internally, the game of "ask for everything like you needed it yesterday whether you do or not" happens entirely too often.

Within the software group doing the flagship set-top-boxes for Dish, unbelievably unrealistic deadlines are made in some effort to drive a product and 'incentivize' working weekends. In the end, software engineering becomes an exercise in managing technical debt and covering-up bugs or hacking things together so you get your evenings and weekends back from overpromises of management.

Don't think for a second your heroics will be rewarded when it comes time for raises.

Quite a bit of the problems have to do with the fact that it's a hardware engineering company, and software is usually the last thing between a product collecting dust and generating revenue---I don't think that is ever going to change.

I had said in a previous review that this is a good place to start your career, and, I'm not sure that is entirely accurate. It's good in that it's a stable job with very minimal politics at the entry-level. It's bad in that the development of maturity as a software engineer, is lacking. Things like estimation, architecture, and maturity in product-ownership can be hard to develop if you don't go out on-a-limb and get it yourself.

...but overall, at the end of the day, it's not a horrific place to work if you need the money.

Develop your product against a vision rather than sycophantic obedience of management when they see what's available currently at Best Buy.

Unfriendly atmosphere, non-existent teamwork, appallingly inappropriate CEO

Current Employee - Programmer in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Programmer in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my case, not all, I am well-paid. I enjoy the work I do.Good 401(k) matching. Nice bi-annual events - picnic and holiday party.

Cons

The concept of greeting someone in the hallway as you pass is foreign to most employees, especially those who once worked for Dish - teamwork is not valued much either. We have very outdated software. CEO says such stupid things during all-employee meetings that they now have an HR representative standing right next to him when he talks He races through the parking lot like its the Indy 500 - it almost seems like he is aiming at employees who are walking across the lot - guess he thinks they are the one's giving him poor reviews on this site ;)

ditch the CEO

Alright Folks

Current Employee - Program Manager Specialist in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager Specialist in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

i guess there is an alright balance of work/culture

Cons

the environment is awful. There was a course i took awhile back, and they mentioned the hardest thing to do is change culture. Culture from the get go here is awful. Senior mgmt all team meetings are so forced. Basically, there isn't a team culture, it's more like your lucky to have a job here. There is no encouragement, no fun, just a simple 8-5 job.

Great people to work with

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, Great people, Challenging projects, Responsible projects

Cons

Better benefits, Better wages, Better Medical plans

Awesome experience

Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great manager, great workplace, great people

Cons

There are no downsides as they are very good to employees

Fun, dynamic. Great place to start a career

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is fairly laid back and everyone is willing to help. There is always something going on, so your work is never boring

Cons

Some aspects of code review and implementation can be a little lax. More organization would be helpful in finding exactly what the expectation is.

Excellent opportunity for experience and learning, if salary is not your main motivation.

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual and often times laid back environment, easy management access, minimal micro-management, company sponsored events, overtime available to hourly employees, gain experience here, but only if you are willing to go take it!

Cons

Poor compensation and promotion structure, ancient equipment to work with, building is too small and falling apart, or catching on fire. Not aligned with industry standard practices such as ieee and istqb. Proprietary and highly archaic programs to work with gaining no experience that is used anywhere else in the industry. Our customer (Dish) dictates too much, and we bend over to provide it, often for it to just be forgotten about by them. Project managers given power to work against other project managers to be the pet of the executives, which leads to lack of team work and division of resources that is highly apparent further down the hill in the company. Morale around here feels like everyone is beat down.

Seems like a good "starter job" where people get their 5 years of industry experience and take it to a company that will actually pay what the people -and new employer- feel they are worth. Only the mediocre stick around for the mediocre product produced and salary earned. Such a shame to miss out on talent due to the need to be cheap. Charlie is worth 12.5 billion and your employees are leaving because they aren't properly compensated? Ridiculous! Ever heard of a bonus?

Eh.

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great place to start. Often your roles are pretty defined and you have a support system in place for many of the rookie mistakes that you will catch yourself making at the beginning of your career.

Many opportunities for continuing education both on-the-job and through tuition reimbursement.

They give software engineers some excellent computing resources.

They are unmatched for job stability.

If you know how to work the stock purchase plan, 401k, your experience here can be very lucrative.

There are some very smart people whose brains you can pick, if you know how to look for them.

Raises aren't the best, but the people who really step-up are recognized.

Cons

It feels very much like we're trying to keep up with 'today' by using yesterday's tools and technologies. This is owed widely by the leadership direction and culture reinforced throughout the company of upper-management where mistakes are 'punished' (nothing more than maybe yelling and needing to work a weekend--or several), but a direction forward---or that even forward is something we want-- does not seem to be communicated throughout the campus. When we're operating on the "don't make a mistake" level, it's just easier not to make waves than it is to crack eggs and make omelettes.

It becomes a bit frustrating as we see the advances in technology outside of our company, and while we have some excellent tricks up our sleeve---TV seems to be an industry in flux and I don't feel confident we can adapt or change to it if even the simplest mimicry of other industry titans right now can't be emulated throughout our products.

Advancement opportunities are both good and bad. While it seems we're always adding strata of managers making the lower rungs even lower while the higher rungs never seem to disappear--- some very key contributors have gotten increases in titles and I assume salary. At times these key contributors seem to contribute at the expense of a work-life balance or if they're lucky, just being incredibly gifted.

Last thing, is that any time you get many layers of management as well as a company this large, rules get laid down, decisions get made, and often without full knowledge of the processes it involves. It can be very dilbert-worthy at times. The only problem is that the culture from the very top, and you can see it percolating down through the management---people need to be called to task if something breaks which can be problematic given the tight software release (test?) cycle and the complexity of the codebase. In the end, very few people find themselves inspired to excel past one curmudgeonly boss to get to the next even more curmudgeonly boss.

Tech companies spend quite a bit on R&D, it's not just a cow to be milked. The cheapest way to get something done isn't always the best way to develop. We can make the future, or we can react to it. Lets try making instead of reacting.

Great Internship Program

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar as an intern

Pros

I loved the internship program. There were a variety of events planned out for the interns to bond with each other and meet company executives. Events included 14er Hike, Summer Splash, Baseball game, Budweiser Tour. The environment was friendly, the hours were flexible, the people were very nice. I loved my boss.

Cons

The workplace could be improved. The building would leak and since there many heavy dishes on the ceiling, one could be worried that the ceiling would collapse. The walls are also bleak and the cubicles are not very spacious.

Find better office buildings. Environment can affect how people work.