EchoStar Reviews in Englewood, CO

Updated August 1, 2014
2.9

EchoStar President, CEO, and Director Michael T. Dugan
Michael T. Dugan

Pros
  • Values work/life balance and is a place where I feel appreciated (in 7 reviews)

• Awesome work environment, Challenging work, Lot of opportunities to grow (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay no advancement, upper management that simply doesn't care about their employees (in 14 reviews)

• Use to be good in health benefits but now they have reduced (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people to work with

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work life balance, Great people, Challenging projects, Responsible projects

Cons

Better benefits, Better wages, Better Medical plans

Awesome experience

Current Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great manager, great workplace, great people

Cons

There are no downsides as they are very good to employees

Fun, dynamic. Great place to start a career

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is fairly laid back and everyone is willing to help. There is always something going on, so your work is never boring

Cons

Some aspects of code review and implementation can be a little lax. More organization would be helpful in finding exactly what the expectation is.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent opportunity for experience and learning, if salary is not your main motivation.

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual and often times laid back environment, easy management access, minimal micro-management, company sponsored events, overtime available to hourly employees, gain experience here, but only if you are willing to go take it!

Cons

Poor compensation and promotion structure, ancient equipment to work with, building is too small and falling apart, or catching on fire. Not aligned with industry standard practices such as ieee and istqb. Proprietary and highly archaic programs to work with gaining no experience that is used anywhere else in the industry. Our customer (Dish) dictates too much, and we bend over to provide it, often for it to just be forgotten about by them. Project managers given power to work against other project managers to be the pet of the executives, which leads to lack of team work and division of resources that is highly apparent further down the hill in the company. Morale around here feels like everyone is beat down.

Seems like a good "starter job" where people get their 5 years of industry experience and take it to a company that will actually pay what the people -and new employer- feel they are worth. Only the mediocre stick around for the mediocre product produced and salary earned. Such a shame to miss out on talent due to the need to be cheap. Charlie is worth 12.5 billion and your employees are leaving because they aren't properly compensated? Ridiculous! Ever heard of a bonus?

Eh.

Current Employee - Software Engineering  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a great place to start. Often your roles are pretty defined and you have a support system in place for many of the rookie mistakes that you will catch yourself making at the beginning of your career.

Many opportunities for continuing education both on-the-job and through tuition reimbursement.

They give software engineers some excellent computing resources.

They are unmatched for job stability.

If you know how to work the stock purchase plan, 401k, your experience here can be very lucrative.

There are some very smart people whose brains you can pick, if you know how to look for them.

Raises aren't the best, but the people who really step-up are recognized.

Cons

It feels very much like we're trying to keep up with 'today' by using yesterday's tools and technologies. This is owed widely by the leadership direction and culture reinforced throughout the company of upper-management where mistakes are 'punished' (nothing more than maybe yelling and needing to work a weekend--or several), but a direction forward---or that even forward is something we want-- does not seem to be communicated throughout the campus. When we're operating on the "don't make a mistake" level, it's just easier not to make waves than it is to crack eggs and make omelettes.

It becomes a bit frustrating as we see the advances in technology outside of our company, and while we have some excellent tricks up our sleeve---TV seems to be an industry in flux and I don't feel confident we can adapt or change to it if even the simplest mimicry of other industry titans right now can't be emulated throughout our products.

Advancement opportunities are both good and bad. While it seems we're always adding strata of managers making the lower rungs even lower while the higher rungs never seem to disappear--- some very key contributors have gotten increases in titles and I assume salary. At times these key contributors seem to contribute at the expense of a work-life balance or if they're lucky, just being incredibly gifted.

Last thing, is that any time you get many layers of management as well as a company this large, rules get laid down, decisions get made, and often without full knowledge of the processes it involves. It can be very dilbert-worthy at times. The only problem is that the culture from the very top, and you can see it percolating down through the management---people need to be called to task if something breaks which can be problematic given the tight software release (test?) cycle and the complexity of the codebase. In the end, very few people find themselves inspired to excel past one curmudgeonly boss to get to the next even more curmudgeonly boss.

Tech companies spend quite a bit on R&D, it's not just a cow to be milked. The cheapest way to get something done isn't always the best way to develop. We can make the future, or we can react to it. Lets try making instead of reacting.

Great Internship Program

Former Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar as an intern

Pros

I loved the internship program. There were a variety of events planned out for the interns to bond with each other and meet company executives. Events included 14er Hike, Summer Splash, Baseball game, Budweiser Tour. The environment was friendly, the hours were flexible, the people were very nice. I loved my boss.

Cons

The workplace could be improved. The building would leak and since there many heavy dishes on the ceiling, one could be worried that the ceiling would collapse. The walls are also bleak and the cubicles are not very spacious.

Find better office buildings. Environment can affect how people work.

Good company

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time for more than a year

Pros

there is enough room for creativity, leadership and innovation.

Cons

lack of better process , which can repeat the success and cycle every time without any surprises.

keep up the good work.

Great Place to work if you don't care for Good benefits and Salaries

Former Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Awesome work environment, Challenging work, Lot of opportunities to grow. Employer values and appreciates creativity. You can have a good balance between your life and work

Cons

Benefit package is not that good. Also Salaries are not compatible. Immigration policies for applying Permanent Resident is not good.

Management needs revisit the salary and benefit packages if they don't want to keep employees motivated to work for them

Great Technology and Progress Being Made in Culture - still need to work on competitive benefits and total comp.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cutting edge technology, ability to collaborate, excellent employees, good work/life balance.

Cons

Top leadership not innovative enough and unable to see what it means to compete in the industries in which they say they are competitors.

Listen to those in your company who have not worked for the same employer their whole lives. Embrace the now. Innovate, don't expect that the work will just keep coming to us.

Not a bad place to start

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Englewood, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

you learn a lot (when you join right out of college)
    you get put on projects immediately

Cons

pretty bad management (as far as planning, architecture etc goes)

Worked for EchoStar? Contribute to the Community!